Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: how many multi task

how many multi task

how many on here work up a load for one rifle at a time ? how many people work up multiple loads on multiple rifles at a time?

I myself tend to have multiple load projects going on at once. meaning I’m newer at this so I don’t have loads for all of my fire arms yet. i won’t load multiple calibers in a single setting but, over the course of the week i may work up a load for 2 guns within that week. I try to limit it to only 2 though so i don’t get over loaded. it keeps me busy and when at the range while one gun is cooling down i can shoot the other.

what’s you routine ? one gun until you find the load than love on? or couple different projects at once.

right now I am fine tuning my load for my mosin and working on a 75 grain speer HP bullet for my savage .243. next i think i’m going to get back on my 9mm and the remington 760 in 30-06

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Have frequently worked up multiple loads at one time. Not a big deal, just more shooting.

But, if one or more are hard recoiling weapons, shooting one of them first can affect groups sizes you shoot with following guns in that session.

Boolit Master

I usually work with one gun and one powder at a time. I will do ladder loads and use multiple bullets, but only one powder at a time.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by michael.birdsley View Post
    how many on here work up a load for one rifle at a time ? how many people work up multiple loads on multiple rifles at a time?

I myself tend to have multiple load projects going on at once. meaning I’m newer at this so I don’t have loads for all of my fire arms yet. i won’t load multiple calibers in a single setting but, over the course of the week i may work up a load for 2 guns within that week. I try to limit it to only 2 though so i don’t get over loaded. it keeps me busy and when at the range while one gun is cooling down i can shoot the other.

what’s you routine ? one gun until you find the load than love on? or couple different projects at once.

right now I am fine tuning my load for my mosin and working on a 75 grain speer HP bullet for my savage .243. next i think i’m going to get back on my 9mm and the remington 760 in 30-06

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GOOD question! One I have never given thought to... My experience -- 50+ years of reloading -- is to develop one or two ("target" load and "hunting" load) for one firearm -- generally as I acquire it in its new-to-me calibre -- and then "THIS" becomes my loading for any/all firearms I possess and shoot in this calibre. I have had challenges -- back when I owned a Universal M1 carbine to complement a government model -- what shot 100% in the Quality would only shoot maybe 1/2 the time in the Universal. BUT, rather than re-invent the wheel for M1 carbine loads, I traded off the Universal.
    Other than this -- one "best" loading for one, seems to work for all.
    Re multiple loads for multiple arms at same time, to me -- I'm too brain-dead to keep track and records as I should, compounded with having too little (square-footage-wise) space for my loading -- I ONLY have one bottle of powder and one box of bullets and one sleeve of primers out at any given time. Just me...
    geo

Boolit Master
    Working up multiple loads does not mean reloading several cartridges at the bench at the same time. Yep, if I could always get the powder and other components I want, then I would not need to work up new loads for multiple cartridges. At the present I am working on new loads for four different combinations due to using a new powder. And, yeah, I started reloading in the 70's.

Stay organized!!!

You load up one cartridge/powder/bullet combination at a time. Only one powder out at a time. And, yes, I label them as I load them and put them in the plastic cases. At the end of a day I might have 2 or three different cartridges with same or more types of powders and bullets. Labels are important. I have also color coded loads before, usually with a colored Sharpie on the primer. Then still need a label for what the colors mean

It does make a range day a bit more complex. The Labradar makes that part easier. I record vel and location of every shot on a target so I just include the load data for each shot as well as the labradar series and shot number. Once I get back to the house I spend a couple of hours transferring pictures of all the targets and the shot log to the PC. I work up a few graphs as well as statistical analysis of the vel and group sizes.

Doing all this is not for the faint of heart It takes some organization and time. If you don't pay attention then all your shooting information will be messed up and you have to start over. Not something you want to do when reloading components are rare/expensive.

I have found the recording of data at the range easy to do between shots. Have to let the barrel cool a little between shots anyway.

PS last range session I had over 20 target centers on the boards down range.

Boolit Master
    I only load one calibre/load at a time, I prepare and prime my brass in batches of 50 beforehand.
    I don't trust powder measures to throw consistent charges every time, so check every charge with my beam scale before decanting into the case and immediately seat the bullet before moving on to the next cartridge.

Boolit Master
    Same here. One caliber at a time. That's plenty to keep me occupied. I'd be afraid to multitask when handloading.

I don't experiment much with various powders, primers, etc. If something works I stick with it. Case in point: I needed a deer load for my 357 rifle. A cast boolit and a tried and true rifle powder - SR4759 - worked on the first try. Then I'll change one thing at a time to ring out the accuracy needed for the application. For this load, sizing smaller gave the accuracy I needed. I sized to .3565 instead of the usual .358. The smaller diameter worked noticeably better.
    Last edited by Charlie Horse; 08-01-2023 at 07:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    I will develop multiple loads at one time, but that is usually tempered by the fact that I don’t like changing powder in my powder measure. I also have only one powder in the reloading room at any one time. Primers are only in the room when I’m priming. All my bullets are in the reloading room all the time.

I certainly have worked on more than one cartridge during a given day, but never more than one at the same time. Complete one, clear the bench & set the scale to zero, then start the next one. I won't recapitulate all the other good advice others have posted.
    Cognitive Dissident