Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Conditioner

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    A shed used for reloading

$150 for a 5-6000 BTU window unit that will do the job or $1500 for a mini-split?

Seems like a simple choice to me.
    I think to get a decent one you are looking at $300 and the hole for a window unit maybe $200 for labor and materials. A pittance compared to what a mini split would cost.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    My mini split didn’t cost anywhere near $1500.00 and I haven’t seen any new window units for $150.00 in quite awhile.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Grand Master

$148 at Walmart for a 5,000 btu window box. Probably not top of the line, but it’s a shed not his dining room.

You can certainly get a ductless split for under $1,000 and if you are handy you can install it yourself, but it isn’t the same level of effort as putting a box in a window and running screws into the frame to hold the side slides. If you need to pay for installation… well that changes the equation dramatically.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    $148 at Walmart for a 5,000 btu window box. Probably not top of the line, but it’s a shed not his dining room.

You can certainly get a ductless split for under $1,000 and if you are handy you can install it yourself, but it isn’t the same level of effort as putting a box in a window and running screws into the frame to hold the side slides. If you need to pay for installation… well that changes the equation dramatically.
    Exactly. Plus try to find someone to do the mini-split install.

Three years ago, I added an LG 12,000 BTU window unit to our bedroom. Got it for $400 and had it installed in a couple of hours. I wanted a mini-split but IIRC, with the install, it was close to $2000.

My neighbor buys the cheapest ($140-160) window units for the one room 16x16 cabin he lives in year-round. They last 4-6 years.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    yup, its hot, got new super efficient 8000 btu at Best Buy for 300 at beginning of month. now I realize I need one twice as big. this thing has been running full time and it is still 87 inside. but all in all it sure is better than 110 or115. just a little reminded to be grateful for what I do have, I dont have to live in a cardboard box under the freeway or are they all now toll roads

Boolit Master

Noise is the biggest reason to get a mini split. Good inside units are almost silent and the outside condenser is quiet too. Most of the newer window units recycle the condensate by splashing it onto the condenser so in dryer climates there is no water dripping out.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idz View Post
    Noise is the biggest reason to get a mini split. Good inside units are almost silent and the outside condenser is quiet too. Most of the newer window units recycle the condensate by splashing it onto the condenser so in dryer climates there is no water dripping out.
    And improves the condensing ability of the unit.

Boolit Buddy
    The noise factor is big. I use window A/C units but the noise can be bad. Even with the fan on low.

Don't forget that an air duct the for the condenser can/will make a big difference.

45_Colt

Boolit Master
    Thank you to all who replied. Even in the high temperature days my well insulated shed only gets to about 85F and that only happens a few times a year. At this point I think I am going to just put up with the few times it gets overly hot and limit my work in there to early mornings and evenings after the sun drops behind the mountain. In winter I use an oil filled radiant heater set on about the half way mark, so no worries there.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    Your only concern would be possible high humidity in the space. A dehumidifier should take care of that.

I have a 1500 square foot shop and use two 25K window units. Typically, I only use one of them on 100 degree days. One has heat as well. They don't make any noticeable noise. Both are made by GE. They run on 250 VAC.

Since you live in an area that is considered semi desert your cooling load will be much lower than some other members experience and a small unit should be fine.

Cooling load is comprised of two components sensible load and latent load. Latent load contains the moisture and is the energy required to change the phase. Sensible load is the energy to change the temperature.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    Since you live in an area that is considered semi desert your cooling load will be much lower than some other members experience and a small unit should be fine.

Cooling load is comprised of two components sensible load and latent load. Latent load contains the moisture and is the energy required to change the phase. Sensible load is the energy to change the temperature.
    My window unit is battling 82% humidity today... working over time!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    The area where I live is classed as semi-desert. I have a small 12x16 fully insulated and wired shed that I use as a reloading room. Due to todays elevated temperatures I would like to get some kind of a small AC unit. I do not want to have to put any holes in the wall or have to change a window to vent one. My concern is that the ones I look at on line use water/evaporation to cool the room. I do not want to chance introducing moisture into my loading area and have to deal with rust issues in there. I also do not want to have to put out big bucks to get what I want. Any ideas???
    I don't know if it's been mentioned?
    But for a "12x16 fully insulated and wired shed" I would use a Vented portable air conditioner. typically they use less power and are quieter, but probably doesn't throw as much COLD air as a same size window unit. And are about the same price a window unit. They usually have a reservoir [like a dehumidifier] that needs to be emptied regularly...or piped out. Just roll it in the corner when not used. Also, a ceiling fan helps alot.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    Thank you to all who replied. Even in the high temperature days my well insulated shed only gets to about 85F and that only happens a few times a year. At this point I think I am going to just put up with the few times it gets overly hot and limit my work in there to early mornings and evenings after the sun drops behind the mountain. In winter I use an oil filled radiant heater set on about the half way mark, so no worries there.
    I'm in similar situation in Louisiana ( the Land of Heat , Humidity and Mosquitoes ), outbuilding w/ reloading bench & mounted presses - no insulation - no a/c - few spare electrical receptacles .
    This worked for me ... Lee Hand Press Kit ... I started doing all my handgun and 30-30 rifle reloading inside my house at the kitchen table or computer table ( I took it to work and reloaded at my desk) where ther is heat in winter and cool in summer .
    Big rifle resizing requires a bench mounted press ...just so much easier ... but after resizing ... bullet seating and crimping can be done with the hand press inside the cool house .
    Put a Ram-Prime priming unit in the Hand Press and you have the best hand primer made !
    This worked so well I bought a second , kept it at work until I retired , now I just use #2 for odd jobs and seating primers .
    Another way to skin a cat ... and it has been working great for me .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Window units are loud. If that's OK you can do it for $150. If you cab't stand the noise it will cost more.

Mini splits are surprisingly quiet. And, if you want, a mini split can heat in winter as well as cool in summer.

Jim

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I don't know if it's been mentioned?
    But for a "12x16 fully insulated and wired shed" I would use a Vented portable air conditioner. typically they use less power and are quieter, but probably doesn't throw as much COLD air as a same size window unit. And are about the same price a window unit. They usually have a reservoir [like a dehumidifier] that needs to be emptied regularly...or piped out. Just roll it in the corner when not used. Also, a ceiling fan helps alot.
    It’s been mentioned. My experience with a vented portable is underwhelming. Dropped the room temperature all the way to 82-85 degrees when it was 95-98 outside. It was not inexpensive, either.

The Farce book marketplace has mini splits in the $365-$400 range installed in my area.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post
    Window units are loud. If that's OK you can do it for $150. If you cab't stand the noise it will cost more.

Mini splits are surprisingly quiet. And, if you want, a mini split can heat in winter as well as cool in summer.

Jim

Mine are under 44 DB.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-23-50...IVSM/318461627

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12