Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are the large rifle primers???

Boolit Master

Where are the large rifle primers???

Is it just me, or is EVERY other size of primer now at least somewhat available? Why are plain vanilla large rifle primers so hard to find?

Boolit Master
    Large PISTOL primers are also made of unobtanium.

Boolit Master
    I finally found some lg pistol last week. Maybe there is hope?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    After a long dry spell, I was able to pick up 3K of small pistol primers on-line to beef up my supply somewhat, but certainly not at what I consider "reasonable" prices. I spent a lot of time looking at different sources as I was also looking for Large Pistol and Rifle primers. My looking convinced me that they are as rare as a virgin on a troop train. Maybe I just am doing my looking at the wrong time and places get them in and they sell out quickly?

Boolit Master

Large Rifle Primers are used in both military rifles (although the small rifle is now more prevalent on the battlefields); but also in the Machine Guns found throughout the military forces and with the vehicles, artillery units, and air units. I suspect that large volumes of them are being consumed in the Russo/Ukrainian War which is having some impact.

I have found a few hundred Large Pistol Primers over the last 2 months; but not enough to make a dent in using them in my .308 & 30-06 cast boolit loads. (Yes I know many frown on Large Pistol Primers in a Rifle case because they are shorter - but it does work in my loads; just not readily available).

I am still making/using my home "Re-Manufactured Primers" that make using either Prime-All, H-48, or FH-42 primer mixtures. Have been unable to explore the EP-20/25/26 primer mixtures because of "Un-Availability" of chemicals to make those. Also, some of the 1940-1950 civilian primer mixtures that use Red Phosphorus have not been tried because I have been unable to locate Red Phosphorus from a US Source.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Personally, I have found Large Pistol, both locally and online. But Large Rifle are non existent!

Having many 1000's of both large and small rifle primers, I keep trying to trade a few at my gun club for large pistol primers but no luck. i gave up looking on the net last year because prices had gone beyond my pay grade so shooting air rifles instead.

Boolit Buddy
    just found out they make small rifle primer 308 brass....

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Someone should make adapter sleeves to use small primers in large pockets.

They made small primer 30-30 brass too. It was labeled 30 American. Sold by Federal.

It's a long slog but I picked up some recently through Midsouth. I get notified by Shootingbot and even then if you don't strike within a couple minutes, they're already sold out. In fact, 5 hours ago got notified Midsouth had more CCI 200's in. I seem to see them from Natchez or Midsouth, but no others. But it's long, long in between.

https://www.shootingbot.com/shooting...rs/large_rifle
    -Paul

Boolit Master

I just sent 4300 of a 5k carton back to manufacturer.

Boolit Buddy
    ive seen sleeves for 7.62 x 54 r brass to accept regular american LRPs....so the technology exists

Boolit Master

Midsouth had LR primers this morning.

Looks like they're gone now at 8pm.
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...s?instock=true

ukraine...
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Don’t forget that you can always start getting into flintlocks. But, be careful. They’re addictive!

Boolit Master

The Musketeers.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    I'm down to about a brick myself. So I'll have to start looking at picking some up before long. Unfortunately, I don't see an end to the shortage/price hikes in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    I am still making/using my home "Re-Manufactured Primers" that make using either Prime-All, H-48, or FH-42 primer mixtures. Have been unable to explore the EP-20/25/26 primer mixtures because of "Un-Availability" of chemicals to make those. Also, some of the 1940-1950 civilian primer mixtures that use Red Phosphorus have not been tried because I have been unable to locate Red Phosphorus from a US Source.
    You might have a hard time finding it in substantial quantities. If memory from my drug enforcement neighbor serves me, it is commonly used to manufacture a certain party favorite. And it's availability has been curbed by the government to a degree. Cooks were using match heads if I remember correctly....
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Don’t forget that you can always start getting into flintlocks. But, be careful. They’re addictive!
    Greg do you hunt with your flintlock?

As much as I'd love it, I'm afraid the learning curve is probably a bridge too far for me. Now, right now I'm re-watching Jeremiah Johnson. Guess which smokepole is starting to itch a bit....?
    -Paul

Shortly before the components began drying up we began shooting shotguns. The shotgun components are available and the clays are a hoot to shoot. Save your valuable remaining supplies and try clays.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Greg do you hunt with your flintlock?

As much as I'd love it, I'm afraid the learning curve is probably a bridge too far for me. Now, right now I'm re-watching Jeremiah Johnson. Guess which smokepole is starting to itch a bit....?
    I have to admit that I haven’t actively hunted since I’ve gotten into muzzle loading. However, I keep thinking about taking a wild hog with one. I’m sure a .69 caliber round ball would work on them. As always, bullet placement is key.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast