Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry plants

Raspberry plants

Here in W. Montana where I live , the growing zone is listed as 5B. I have three raspberry plants , rated to grow in zone 3 thru 7, that freeze back to the ground every winter. Never see a raspberry. Every spring they grow back , & look very healthy, but never a raspberry. Yes we do get a small amount of -0 temps. My blue berries take it in stride, no problem. A friend 50+miles south of me has no such problems & harvests oodles of raspberries. Any thoughts. Sorry I don't remember the variety of raspberry, other than it is red.

A lot of those vine type plants are basically glorified weeds that we have found a use for.
    They're supposed to be pretty hardy if the climate and soil is right for them to be happy.

In the deep South, black berries grow wild and about take over wilderness areas as the thickets and ground cover.
    Raspberries may do that where you are if you keep them 'happy'.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

We have a bunch of raspberries and blackberries up north that grow fine where it gets -30 in the winter. Do you fertilize them?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Raspberries just like blackberries put fruit on the second year growth. If they die to the ground every year, you won't ever see fruit. We here in NWA had a hard winter last year, froze early and low temperatures before January like normal. Killed lots of trees, shrubs, etc that can take sub zero weather like year before, but they weren't acclimated to the low temps first. My raspberries and lots of wild blackberries and most of my Thornless died back way more than normal and little fruit this year.... what you have are just thorns.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    We have a bunch of raspberries and blackberries up north that grow fine where it gets -30 in the winter. Do you fertilize them?
    Do you know the the variety of Raspberry you have?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Raspberries just like blackberries put fruit on the second year growth. If they die to the ground every year, you won't ever see fruit. We here in NWA had a hard winter last year, froze early and low temperatures before January like normal. Killed lots of trees, shrubs, etc that can take sub zero weather like year before, but they weren't acclimated to the low temps first. My raspberries and lots of wild blackberries and most of my Thornless died back way more than normal and little fruit this year.... what you have are just thorns.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    This was my thought on it.

Primocane vs. Floricane
    “Primocane” sounds a lot like primary, doesn’t it? These are what biennial shoots are called in their first season. These are mainly comprised of vegetative growth and will initiate flower buds in the summer and fall, usually for the next year.

“Floricane” is the name for that same shoot in the second season. It has the root word for “flower” in it, so you’d think the second year would be the season it would flower and bear berries.

https://gardenerspath.com/plants/fru...-vs-floricane/

Boolit Buddy

We had a fungus type disease kill our patch. still had a few shoots come up for 2 more years. Have has some freeze loss with wet fall, rain and snow and multiple freeze/thaw cycles. They are surprisingly hardy, had we not had them packed so tight the fungus would not have prevsiled. I am at almost 46 N but do not see much colder than -20F for about a week or so. Green shoots this year bear fruit next year, then die.

Boolit Master

Dom:

Have you done a soil test? In the Glacial Valley North of Flathead Lake much of the soil lacks calcium in a form that plants can take up. We have to treat the Soil in the garden for some crops - we grind up the egg shells from the hens and supplement the soil where plants need it.

I would start with a soil test, and then see what the local specialized Garden Centers (Not Big Box Stores) recommend.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Thanks Mustang. The Missoula nursery where my raspberries originally came from says they should grow here , just fine. The wild raspberries that grow here don"t seem to be bothered by the cold winters at all. What raspberries I have picked so far , have been wild.They taste great , but on the small size.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    Do you know the the variety of Raspberry you have?
    Wild stock. Do a forest cut and 2yrs later there they are, enough to make jam.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    Here in W. Montana where I live , the growing zone is listed as 5B. I have three raspberry plants , rated to grow in zone 3 thru 7, that freeze back to the ground every winter. Never see a raspberry. Every spring they grow back , & look very healthy, but never a raspberry. Yes we do get a small amount of -0 temps. My blue berries take it in stride, no problem. A friend 50+miles south of me has no such problems & harvests oodles of raspberries. Any thoughts. Sorry I don't remember the variety of raspberry, other than it is red.
    Mine freeze [-30º] in Minnesota and do not die [freeze back to ground]...What does happen is the rabbits eat them to the ground. If yours are dead and gone come springtime, Look for rabbit poop.
    I grow Heritage. They are known to produce two crops on each cane. Minnesota's season is usually long enough to produce red raspberries for a late fall [October] crop on the first year canes, then produce another crop on those same canes the next summer [July]. About the time the second crop of raspberries are ripening, the roots send up the next generation of canes. They do like to be fertilized and now [July] is the time I fertilize.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I have to opposite problem in that most types of raspberries that I try to grow die due to the humidity and heat of my zone 8b north gulf coast weather.

Good to hear about the Heritage variety. Sounds like the ones i need to plant.

Definitely do a soils test but mulch them with a LOT of straw.

Blackberries will grow just about anywhere but raspberries are a bit more picky. Both are food of the gods when picked fresh! Or made into a pie. Or jam. Or syrup. or or or.

Sorry lost control for a bit!

I grew up on wild berries and this thread is bringing back memories. Store bought just aren't the same.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Moderator Emeritus

Drought has killed my harvest the last 3 years... and the leaf hopper invasion that came with the dry weather. I water them but it isn't enough, would almost need to let a hose trickle non stop as dry as the ground is!

Sorry to hear that " MaryB " . Has to be very frustrating....

My neighbor here in Missoula has been growing raspberrys apparently since right after they invented dirt. No reported problems with the cold. My wife started last year with starts she got from Lowe's. Nothing last year, but we gots lots now. Supposed to have fresh made freezer jam tomorrow.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Moderator Emeritus

We've got the raspberries and blackberry growing like crazy. We even have the red raspberry that is supposedly an invasive species but tastes pretty good. We just made a great pie from pickings. They are pretty aggressive and are constantly trying to grow in the yard through the chain link fence.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Drought has killed my harvest the last 3 years... and the leaf hopper invasion that came with the dry weather. I water them but it isn't enough, would almost need to let a hose trickle non stop as dry as the ground is!
    For lack of reliable soil moisture try a soil surfactant. I have agricultural scale experience with one in particular: Wet Sol 233

It is sold by Schaefer Oil and is the least expensive of the different brands that I am aware of.

The recommended rate is one gallon per acre in the spring and a half gallon in the fall. The last I bought was $11.00 per gallon in a 55 gallon drum. They sell in 5 gallon buckets (more per gallon of course).

You can apply it anytime the ground is not frozen and add it by Irrigation injection as I do or spray it on then water it in. It also stretches your fertilizer dollars.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 07-24-2023 at 09:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    I live in Eureka MT about 10 miles from the Canadian border and less than 100 miles from Idaho. We have several types of raspberry plants and they all are doing great. Have to keep cutting them back to keep them from overtaking the whole garden.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast