Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Always check your ammo

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico

Always check your ammo

Found this in a pile of brass from a shooting range. 9mm fired in a 40s&w chamber.
    Wasn’t me that did it.

Yikes!

Well, as usual, I can’t load the photo. Sure wish someone on here could tell me why I “ don’t have permission to perform this operation”!! Refresh the page or login again to perform this operation. I’m already logged in, or else I wouldn’t be able to post this!

Frustrating to say the least. When I figure it out, I’ll post the pics.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D62D0D8-52AB-40D6-8161-469E5FBDAD34.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	316237

Here ya go
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

yikes

Boolit Master
    Had a friend that shot a 308 win in an '06. At first, he thought he had a head case separation. Bullet went out w/o any problem. Bore was clear. Then he checked the headstamp and immediately knew what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    ..... Sure wish someone on here could tell me why I “ don’t have permission to perform this operation”!! Refresh the page or login again to perform this operation. I’m already logged in, or else I wouldn’t be able to post this!

The only problem with most pictures not loading is they are too big. Keep them under 200Kb and they will load every time.
    Last edited by Minerat; 07-21-2023 at 06:42 PM.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

WOW!!! Even the primer was punctured!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Cellphone cameras seem to default to the highest resolution, creating giant files. Possibly you can change this in the app. I don't use my phone for pictures, so can't offer more than that.

I wash image files through a freeware program, called IrFanView. It takes some learning, but you can do a number of things that will reduce file size. Cropping borders is one, and even if you don't do that you can dictate the file size when saving.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I watched a man shoot a whole box of 25/06 through a .30/06 rifle. I thought they sounded funny but didn't realize what he had done until he left and I picked up his brass. I've picked up more than a couple of 9mm fired in .40 S&W. I think some people shoot .308 in a .30/06 rifle just to show off, or convince themselves it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    I watched a man shoot a whole box of 25/06 through a .30/06 rifle. I thought they sounded funny but didn't realize what he had done until he left and I picked up his brass. I've picked up more than a couple of 9mm fired in .40 S&W. I think some people shoot .308 in a .30/06 rifle just to show off, or convince themselves it can be done.
    Given the headspace measurement issue between a .308 and 30-06 I can't comprehend how that's possible.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Given the headspace measurement issue between a .308 and 30-06 I can't comprehend how that's possible.
    Two thoughts as to how it can happen, relatively safely:
    1. If the rifle has a Mauser style claw extractor, more than likely it will hold the case firmly enough for firing. or,

2. The .308 is tapered slightly less than the .30-06, and the case kind of wedges itself into the chamber providing enough resistance to the blow of the firing pin.

Once the powder charge lights off, the brass case expands and provides the seal it is supposed to, so no huge rifle wrecking volume of high pressure gas comes back towards the shooter.

Still not a safe thing to do in my opinion.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    .32 ACP also feeds and fires in a .380 Colt. Lots of fire and brimstone comes back at the shooter, but it does fire...

45_Colt

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    Found this in a pile of brass from a shooting range. 9mm fired in a 40s&w chamber.
    Wasn’t me that did it.

Yikes!

Well, as usual, I can’t load the photo. Sure wish someone on here could tell me why I “ don’t have permission to perform this operation”!! Refresh the page or login again to perform this operation. I’m already logged in, or else I wouldn’t be able to post this!

Years back a fellow at range inquired if I'd check out his 30-30 Winchester 94 as he couldn't hit "the wall of a barn at ten feet" with it. I took it from him and was just about to put it behind seat in my truck when I smiled, and inquired if I might see the ammo he was using, as this may have an effect? Yup! As I discerned as I was about to put rifle in my vehicle, it was marked for .32 Winchester Special -- and he had been firing .30-30 ammo in it. He told me it was his aunt's rifle, who had gifted it to him, and it was ALWAYS called a "thirty-thirty" -- he had never looked.
    geo

Boolit Master
    I have a small collection of similar cases. Just about any rimless cartridge that can be loaded in a magazine has had someone careless trying to fire it in a larger or longer caliber. The ammo feeds up under the extractor which holds it just well enough to allow the primer to detonate. Just a reminder that there are all kinds of people out there.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    +1 on IrFanView

And yes on 308Win in an M1 Garand - all reports are that it works quite well.
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 07-23-2023 at 12:53 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Grandpa had an old 06 that was loaned out and was returned loaded with 308. They didnt get to borrow it again.

Boolit Master
    One night in1968 my unit supplied a Vietnamese Marine unit armed with .30-06 caliber weapons with linked 7.62 NATO ammo.They knew how to use it and were happy to get it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Years back a fellow at range inquired if I'd check out his 30-30 Winchester 94 as he couldn't hit "the wall of a barn at ten feet" with it. I took it from him and was just about to put it behind seat in my truck when I smiled, and inquired if I might see the ammo he was using, as this may have an effect? Yup! As I discerned as I was about to put rifle in my vehicle, it was marked for .32 Winchester Special -- and he had been firing .30-30 ammo in it. He told me it was his aunt's rifle, who had gifted it to him, and it was ALWAYS called a "thirty-thirty" -- he had never looked.
    geo
    Our "family gun" was a M94 in .32WS. My first hunting gun was a M54 in 30-30. My Father made sure I knew the difference! Way back when Hunter Safety had 10 rules for gun safety; one of them was to always compare the ammo to the barrel stamp.

I always cringe when someone says just resize 30-30 brass to use in a .32WS. Yes, it works but I think it's a bad practice.

Boolit Master

Minerat,USCRA112, thank you,I appreciate the answers on the file problem!!!

This must have been some under-stress reloading training drill to get that mistake. Eye protection is a must in any shooting training! You break low 1on a skeet field, without eye protection, you’ll learn fast about eye protection and it’s value!
    RayBan Kalichrome shooting glasses saved my vision that day. I thought y’all would appreciate this little picture! Be safe.

Boolit Master

I have found similar on the range here. I honestly believe there are some who should not own firearms.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I picked up a steel case 223 once that had a vague resemblance to a baseball glove in a bunch of 6.8SPC brass .

The 308 shoulder is in fact large enough to jam space in an 06' . The .400+- that it's short leaves a case with about half of the 06' shoulder on it . The bullet is in the neck so there's no significant chance for it to tip or jam .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast