Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Load Data subscription, is it worth it or not?

Boolit Master

Load Data subscription, is it worth it or not?

I have been subscribed to Handloaders magazine online edition for about 5 years and I swore the reason I got that was because it came with the Load data subscription with it. Maybe when I got it it did but apparently I no longer am subscribed to Load Data and they want something like 35.00 a year. Is it worth it?

I have found it useful, though because I've largely found my loads, I don't refer to it much anymore. Probably won't re-up but for $35 annually, worth it to me.
    -Paul

Boolit Master

I had it for years, but did not renew this year because manufacturers web site's are all that I need.

Boolit Grand Master

With the plethora of load data available I have better things to spend my $35.00 on.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Searches on this site; coupled with the 8 or 9 reloading manuals I have, gives me all the info I have needed for reloading. I have used the online "Load Data" in the past when it was offered as a short term "Incentive"; but have not found it sufficiently useful to subscribe.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    With the plethora of load data available I have better things to spend my $35.00 on.
    I'd agree. I had it years ago but had been off a long time, wasn't aware how much was out there for free. If I had it to do over again, I probably wouldn't.
    -Paul

Do you actually use it?
    Is it better than a hard copy loading book, or the free info from the manufacturers?

If I didn't get $35. of use from it, I wouldn't subscribe.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I've subscribed for years. It's just images of the load tables that accompanied articles in Rifle and Handloader, but without the associated text, which limits it's usefulness some. I like it because there is often data on older rounds and components and some interesting wildcats, such as the 450 Alaskan. A good deal of cast loads, too. I would prefer that the article text be shown, but I'll keep subscribing.

Boolit Master
    If you are asking me I don't use it because it will not let me without the subscription. I am sure at one time it did but now when I need info on loading for cast in 7.62x39 it will not let me in. So I don't know if it is a good thing or not. Kind of why I am asking. I did pose the loading question on here and I got two or three replies but not much real info. One person tells me to load same as jacketed. I am pretty sure there is a reason why cast is loaded at a much different loading on all other calibers and Lymans shows only two loads for cast on this one. I am not chancing loading jacketed loads which are close to double cast.

Boolit Mold
    I have had a subscription for a few years. None of my reloading manuals have data for 8x56mmR loads (for my WWI Mannlicher M1895 straight-pull bolt rifle). Loaddata had a bunch of loads, of which the ones I tried appear to work well for my tired eyes.

I agree with others - if you are using a fairly common cartridge, and have a bunch of reloading manuals already, not sure it's worth the $35 per year.

As an aside, a shout-out to the powder/projectile manufacturers for providing free online data. Speer, Campro, Hodgdon, and Alliant all come to mind - I'm sure there are more.

Boolit Mold
    I just got a subscription recently. If you load oddball calibers, it’s definitely worth it in my opinion. The manufacturers don’t typically publish data for a lot of the old military calibers, for example. I found a decent amount of data on Load data for stuff like 6.5x53r Dutch, 8x50r Lebel, etc. That stuff is usually a bear to find data for, and I found it on there. That alone is worth it for me.

Boolit Master

As wasa and mace 2364 have already commented, it is not mostly useful for other-than-normal. My most recent use was for .40-82 Winchester for a friend's 1886. For "normal" stuff, I use the manufacturer's online data mot of the time. I will continue to subscribe to it.

Boolit Buddy
    I use it several times per week.
    Its handy because it has a lot of different load sources in 1 place.
    Its worth the 35.00 to me.

Boolit Buddy
    i`ve had for yrs. i guess a little redundant but its all in one place. i`m keeping.