RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: value of reloading equiptment

Boolit Master

value of reloading equiptment

i have a few older presses that i am going to sell. what section on this site would be best to question the value of the presses??

try Swapping + Selling auction here + put a starting bid at the minimum you will accept for them - true value will be established by what buyers are willing to pay for them + not opinionated guesses -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

S&S is good.

When stuff I put up, I list it for about 80-90% of what ya see the same item for on ebay or the gun auction sites.
    It all turns pretty fast.

I've had items claimed within a hour or two on some things.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    thanks guys; i'll do that.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    If you want an approximate value, do some research and ;looking on fleabay for items like yours and see what they are selling for.

If you have a Press Model X - do a search and see what comes up, what has actual bids on them and what they sell for. Just remember that just because a Press Model X has a starting price of $100 on it (as an example), that doesn't mean it is worth $100. If you watch 3 of them sell, consider the actual condition of them and then determine a fair average price. Take into consideration that sometimes 2 or more may get into a bidding war and pay more than an item is worth.

Since I started reloading years ago, the only "new" press that I have purchased was a Lee 4 hole turret. The rest have all been vintage cast iron single stage presses - a total of 5 - and any of them will do the same job as a new one and outlast me by many years. The WTS/WTS section here is a good place to buy/sell unwanted reloading things and connect with those seeking something or selling something. A good question to ask yourself is "If I was looking for a press like this, what would I consider a fair price?" If you reload, you should have a gut feeling about that.

Another thing to consider is that if you decide to liquidate it on fleabay, by the time you pay all the fees, you're going to actually get about 70% (an estimate) of the selling price and that's if the buyer also pays for the shipping.

You can also list them here with a price you figure is fair and do it OBO (or best offer).

Good luck!

Moderator Emeritus

As with everything else these days, shipping will factor into the overall price folks will pay. Good luck.

Boolit Grand Master

I look on GunBroker and Ebay for pricing. Be sure to check the ones getting bids and not the starting or asking prices.

Yes, shipping on heavy , bulky items like presses is a killer.

Remember if you use an Auction that only 1 item or package per ad. If you search S&S try using google foo instead and search for cast boolits xyx press where xyz is the model you want to find. Good luck.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

Ebay is a good site but there are others like Gunbroker to get a starting price but be aware that some of those prices are really silly. Look around online then post a min bid at auction and as others have said remember the shipping cost.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    Reloading equipment does not seem to do well on this site. Most folks here are already reloaders. Unless you have something unique or cheap, there is little interest. Plus, many of us are old and getting rid of stuff instead of acquiring stuff.

eBay will have 10 times (or more) the market exposure.

People complain about how "overpriced" stuff is on eBay. Well, that is good news if you are selling!

Good luck!
    Don Verna

If you ever use Gunbroker use the completed auctions so you see the price paid, not the asking price.. Never huts to ask, but the real test is what someone is actually willing to pay for it. If you put a good price on it as a minimum, you will get an offer, just make sure the minimum is truly ok with you.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    i have a few older presses that i am going to sell. what section on this site would be best to question the value of the presses??
    Did you ever think about selling at a big flea market?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Whatever you determine they are worth, I suggest putting them for sale on our S&S site for less. Don’t try to maximize your profit. Let some members here have a good deal.

Boolit Master
    As others have said........shipping is a killer. Calculate the size and weight of the box then go to the USPS web site and calculate the cost of shipping to the furthest state from you BEFORE you list the item. You could easily spend over $50 just to ship
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

UPS is probably going on strike next week. Haste may be warranted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.