WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Need help on rifle refinish

Need help on rifle refinish

I’ve got a rossi single shot that I just got back from JES rebooting it to 357 maximum. The only problem I have is that I have a little surface rust on the barrel and am looking at options for revisit g the outside of the barrel. Currently I believe it to be a black oxide type finish. What are your recommendations? Looking for something durable and simple. Doesn’t have to match perfectly. But I would prefer to just do the barrel so I’m not planning to paint the entire gun. What type and who can do it well? DIY options with good results?
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

I would totally clean off any rust with a Frontier Big 45 cleaning pad with oil. Then with one of the many cold blue/black liquid or pastes I'd try an inconspicuous area to make sure it works and blends well, and go forth from there. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    I would remove existing finish with 320x sandpaper, follow up with 400x, and paint it with Brownell's Oxpho Blue. (Heat the barrel with a hot hair dryer or heat gun for best results.) Takes little time to accomplish and the Oxpho Blue is a surprisingly durable finish. Might (probably) have to do 2-4 applications to get a nice even finish. Oil it up good when done, let sit overnight, wipe off - good to go for another generation of use.

Boolit Buddy

As Hoodat said. Super fine steel wool and oil can do amazing things to a rusty looking exterior .. Saw this in a gun shop in Calif. over 50 yrs ago. Customer brought in a rusty Win shotgun to sell. After he left, the guy reached back into a can removing a piece of steel wool soaked in oil. With a quick swipe back and forth produced a pleased smile from the clerk and a new tip for me. GW