WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady one shot and pc

Boolit Buddy

Hornady one shot and pc

I cast some Lee .401-175 TC for my 10 mm. They dropped at .403 and I wanted to run them through my push through sizing die. They took tremendous force to push them through, so I hit them with a bit of one shot. I assumed they would prevent the PC from sticking, so I did a quick swirl in acetone. Will this be sufficient to get all the one shot off the bullets?

Don't know what the lube is in one-shot. I did the 'mist' of one-shot and then PC not a problem. A dab (very little) of BLL works, as does H2O (but it can rust the Lee die). Try some without cleaning, about every 10 bullets or so, will lube the die.
    Whatever!

spray a bit on your hand and if the acetone busts it right off your finger- it will on the boolits too.

Ya might want to do a 'wash & rinse' because it will thin out and wash away the one shot,
    but not 'shred' the chemistry of the lubricants in it and maybe leave a residue.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 07-19-2023 at 12:58 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Jevyod, I have had no problems getting PC to stick doing the exact same thing as you. If you want to do a double rinse, that's fine, but I think unnecessary.

Boolit Master

Im wondering why such resistance on such a large sizing die for 10mm!!!

I cannot even chamber a .402 in my KKM barrels and sizing such a diameter is always effortless. Im assuming your powder coatbis massively thicker then mine or that it needs be.

To answer wuestion, its how I ise up my one stick. Its a dandy lube for push thru sizing. I shoot allot of "big" 45's in my 450 Bushmaster. (A "small" 45 caliber.)

I spray a couple Blasts into a baggie, add bullets and swirl around to coat. So very light coat is all thats needed. It works very well. Im sizing from about .460 to .454. Very little resistance. Cleaning with dawn dish soap and hot water.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Must be some real hard alloy. I have no problem with the Lee 401 in my Lee sizer.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I cast many 200WFN in pure lino but dont have size difficulties.
    Thinking something else going on.

CW

Boolit Master
    have you tried sizing after PC? I spritz the PC'd bullets with one-shot before sizing.
    Loren

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockshooter View Post
    have you tried sizing after PC? I spritz the PC'd bullets with one-shot before sizing.
    Loren
    That’s what I do and works well with no issues.

Boolit Buddy
    I wondered about the hard sizing. I have sized other bullets down before with little effort. I am only going .003 down so should be easy I thought. Alloy is coww + a length of solder to aid fill out. Not water dropped sized pretty much immediately after casting.

Boolit Buddy
    I save my Hornady One Shot for my cases. For cast bullets, I use my old lube pad and lube that otherwise doesn't get used. Works great.

I use the same mold on my 10mm. I size AFTER PC. I let them cool to around 90 degrees, then spray one shot into the sizer die. When they feel a bit sticky, I’ll shoot a bit more up in the die. I give it a few seconds to dry. Carry on.

Boolit Master

Just to me known and As a rule lube to size pc bullets is NOT REQUIRED. Using a push thru. ESPECIALLY a lee sizer. The sizing band is VERY VERY THIN! You can feel every "rib" or band on your bullets because if that. It is was wide you couldn't feel then. Meaning surface area is VERY small.

Boolit Buddy
    I lube and size my bullets before I PC, and again after PC.

I use a RCBS lube pad and use their Case Lube II. It is water soluble and I wash them with Dawn to PC. After PC I just roll them in a towel.

Boolit Master

another thing to check with a story

had a batch very hard to size (Lee Classic Cast and Lee push through)

It turns out the press itself was binding up for some reason. either dry or got grit in it or a bit of both

would cycle OK without any "load" on it but try to size a bullet and got very hard to do

oiled all the pivot points + ram and back to easy sizing
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Im wondering why such resistance on such a large sizing die for 10mm!!!

I cannot even chamber a .402 in my KKM barrels and sizing such a diameter is always effortless. Im assuming your powder coatbis massively thicker then mine or that it needs be.

To answer wuestion, its how I ise up my one stick. Its a dandy lube for push thru sizing. I shoot allot of "big" 45's in my 450 Bushmaster. (A "small" 45 caliber.)

I spray a couple Blasts into a baggie, add bullets and swirl around to coat. So very light coat is all thats needed. It works very well. Im sizing from about .460 to .454. Very little resistance. Cleaning with dawn dish soap and hot water.

CW
    Is it necessary to clean the 'One Shot' off before loading? Thanks, tom

Boolit Master
    nope, just load and shoot- one spritz on a pile is all thats needed, just to keep the die slippery-
    Loren

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    Is it necessary to clean the 'One Shot' off before loading? Thanks, tom
    No it is not. I just dont like the feel of greasy bullets. Or everything sticking to them. (Its part of the reason I like Powder Coating. No exposed lube!)

If ya think a Conventional Cast lubed bullet has exposed lube.

CW

Banned
    I can't grasp this that pc bullets stick trying to size them. I've used thousands of them in many different calibers with zero sizing problems. The first time I sized one on my Lyman luber/sizer (without the lube pressure cranked up) I thought my linkage had busted as it sized that easy! Another thing since pc adds diameter I size the my bullets before coating so as not having to size them as much after coating.

Boolit Master

On occasion some coated bullets take a lot of effort to push though sizer when it happens I give them a spray of Lanoline/alcohol mix also used as case lube . I leave it on the bullets shoot well for me .

I have sized 45 caliber bullets from .460 after coating to .452 this way with no issues . I also size jacketed .357" bullets to .351" with same press and lube .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast