Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I could use some M1917 pics and stories.

Not much story with my Remington 1917 sporter except that it came to me as a .300 WinMag with an extra bolt.
    The original bolt was overcut for the magnum case. I opened the extra bolt’s face and modified the action for the fatter cartridge to feed correctly.
    I’d love to have an unaltered P14 or US17 because they are the English/American Mauser in my mind. I love the sight picture.
    They are a big action for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have an Eddystone M1917 that I refinished the stock on. A really gorgeous piece of walnut.
    My other M1917 is a sporterized .257Roberts that was not quite finished. Or I should say more things could've been done to it.
    Don't want to do anything more to it. In it's present configuration with it's Lyman sights, it's accounted for the first deer taken by every post WW2 male in My family as they came of age. It's crest was ground off before it was reblued. So no idea if it's Winchester bolt was a match to its receiver.
    But it shoots better then I do these days.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Not much story with my Remington 1917 sporter except....
    I still enjoyed reading it!
    Good looking rifle too.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    In it's present configuration with it's Lyman sights, it's accounted for the first deer taken by every post WW2 male in My family as they came of age.
    Family heirloom!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Our best 1917 and the P-14 sit in cases at the Vermilion County War Museum. Everything else is in storage that I will not be getting into.
    ILL-nois has gone biserk-o and for me it is just mark time till we are gone.
    Praises to God my dad brought home to me a recurve bow 60 years ago. I can still hunt groundhogs and racoons and corn crunchers when that time arrives. And fish from our kayak.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy

Remington P17

Not the greatest pic, as it's about 8 yrs old and was stored in the PC - Rifle is still here, but in the back of the safe currently! Bought the rifle in the late 80s-early 90s at a show, was in very good condition with a great bore and was all original - 11-18 barrel. Found a Remington made bayonet to add to the rifle a few years later. Fast forward 20 yrs or so, I bought a sporterized 1903 with this WWI steel hook sling attached to it - it too is marked WT&B, 1918. The sporterized 03 was basically a target or bench rifle that just mildly interested me, but the sling sealed the deal and I couldn't buy it fast enough! I know now, that WT&B was a contractor for leather goods for WWI and stands for Westborough Trunk and Bag. So the sling was made here in Westborough, Mass 105 years ago and ironically I bought the rifle in the adjoining town of Marlborough 70+ years later. I've put maybe 150-200 rds thru it over the years, all moderate reloads and mostly cast. Best of luck, Bill in MA Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230725_205322.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	316320

Boolit Master
    Bigslug isn't the "last of the Mohicans", but he is one of the few that are left. I still have two P1914 actions waiting to be sporterized, but they're going to have to wait their turn because there's still a couple of Mausers in line ahead of them. First ones going to be an easy conversion to 30-40 Krag: just make a new barrel and carve a new stock. Second ones more involved. Going to be using a M1917 bolt and magazine box in a P14 action to build a rifle in 9.5x57 MS.

Boolit Grand Master

P17? No such model, it is a U.S. rifle Model 1917.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    I have an Eddystone Sporter.
    Haven't shot it in a bit.
    Buy the story, not the gun ! I wanted a 1917 and came across, through a friend of a friend, an Eddystone which was not, to say the least, pleasing to the eye. A fair amount of pitting where metal meets wood, and just enough bore damage to be noted and make a prospective purchaser (me) nervous. Anyhoos -- it became mine, and stayed a wall-hanger for a few years. For kicks, a military-shoot event was held and I took this rifle. There, one of the fellows who did the mandatory pre-shoot safety inspection commented it was an Elmer Keith Ogden Arsenal inspect -- with his initials faintly visible in a square box on the stock. No one, I am sure, will mortgage their house to purchase this, should I offer it for sale, based on it's condition/shape.
    But... the story... Elmer Keith cartouche?
    geo

Boolit Mold
    Was given an Eddystone by my stepdad before he passed away. Bad sporter job, but he got it that way. Last year I had it professionally restored to full military specs. Even had the barrel Ceramicoated, since some rust spots were becoming an issue. Original sporter stock had a hairline crack near the magazine box, made shooting it impossible, so I decided to do the right thing and fix it proper. Even went so far as to get a proper bayonet for it, and have one last machining job left to fine tune the bayonet attachment. Poppa Nitch would be proud of what it looks like, and I have a great deal of respect for that old Command Sgt Major (ret ) (perm), so this was really a labor of love. That gives me a total of three WW1 bolt actions, the other two being a Modelo of 1912 Chilean Steyr, and a Brazilian 1908 Mauser ( my absolute FAV rifle I own ).

Quote Originally Posted by rebeldawg365 View Post
    Was given an Eddystone by my stepdad before he passed away. Bad sporter job, but he got it that way. Last year I had it professionally restored to full military specs. Even had the barrel Ceramicoated, since some rust spots were becoming an issue. Original sporter stock had a hairline crack near the magazine box, made shooting it impossible, so I decided to do the right thing and fix it proper. Even went so far as to get a proper bayonet for it, and have one last machining job left to fine tune the bayonet attachment. Poppa Nitch would be proud of what it looks like, and I have a great deal of respect for that old Command Sgt Major (ret ) (perm), so this was really a labor of love. That gives me a total of three WW1 bolt actions, the other two being a Modelo of 1912 Chilean Steyr, and a Brazilian 1908 Mauser ( my absolute FAV rifle I own ).
    Thank you so much for the report and I'll raise a glass to Poppa Nitch!

Alas I have no pictures. I can tell you that my maternal grandfather was army infantry in WW1 and was issued a Model 1917. He had a lot of great things to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by white cloud View Post
    Alas I have no pictures. I can tell you that my maternal grandfather was army infantry in WW1 and was issued a Model 1917. He had a lot of great things to say about it.
    Thank you for sharing this!

Boolit Master
    I've had a couple of '17 sporters and P14 sporters in the past. The P14 I currently have was purchased several years ago at a local gunshow. An older conversion in the style I like, probably paid too much for it at the time. Lots of honest wear.

The interesting thing was when I pulled it apart to do a good cleaning. On the receiver, below the stock line, was scratched a name and a state (may have had a city as well, have to pull it out and look again). I thought ah crap I have to polish this hen scratching out. Just for giggles I googled the guy and found his obit. Seems the gentleman was an avid hunter who hunted both Alaska and Africa. No way to know if this rifle ever made those trips but the guys name is staying on the rifle until I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    I've had a couple of '17 sporters and P14 sporters in the past. The P14 I currently have was purchased several years ago at a local gunshow. An older conversion in the style I like, probably paid too much for it at the time. Lots of honest wear.

The interesting thing was when I pulled it apart to do a good cleaning. On the receiver, below the stock line, was scratched a name and a state (may have had a city as well, have to pull it out and look again). I thought ah crap I have to polish this hen scratching out. Just for giggles I googled the guy and found his obit. Seems the gentleman was an avid hunter who hunted both Alaska and Africa. No way to know if this rifle ever made those trips but the guys name is staying on the rifle until I'm gone.
    Good for you!
    That adds special value.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300 H and H.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	317169

Sporterized Model 1917, chambered in 300 H&H. Who ever did it, did a pretty decent job. Metal work is good, bluing is great.Checkering could have been a little better. I bought it a couple of years ago for $800 with the 2-7 Leupold scope. It's a hoot to shoot with cast boolits. Not quite so much fun with full house loads.

I bought it because I took it as a rifle that a reasonably prosperous farmer would have bought to go Moose or bear hunting. Had a buddy who was big into English/European rifles, tried to talk me into a .375 H&H in, I believe, a Mark X action, very nice rifle, just not a Michigan farmer's gun.

I'll probably never hunt with it, just execute dingers and paper.

And the trigger is awful.

Attachment 317170

Attachment 317171

Attachment 317172

My ERA P14.

I bought this from a buddy's widow, Mike had quite a collection of old military rifles, this is one of three old rifles that I picked up. It's complete with the volley sight mount on the side of the stock (middle photo).

Cool old rifle, fun to shoot. It goes to the range tomorrow for some exercise.

Next time I make it to the back of the safe I'll dig out the Model 1917.

I have a 1917 that's a little different. It's a Remington rebarreled for War 2 by Johnson Automatics with a two-groove barrel and Parkerized. It shoots pretty well with cast, especially the oddball 311644.

Quote Originally Posted by fourarmed View Post
    I have a 1917 that's a little different. It's a Remington rebarreled for War 2 by Johnson Automatics with a two-groove barrel and Parkerized. It shoots pretty well with cast, especially the oddball 311644.
    That's wild!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12