Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Ideal 358439 mold

Boolit Bub

Ideal 358439 mold

Would like some information on this mold. Would it be ok to use in a S&W m36 Chiefs Special with a 2 1/2 barrel? Any idea on what a fair price would be to offer on this mold?

Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4726.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	316111
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4727.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	316112

way to big of bullet for a chiefs special more for a longer barrel 38 or 357.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you Bruce. Will pass on this one.

Boolit Master
    Not one to pass up if the price is even close to right… it is a great bullet for .38/357

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell38KeithHP358439.htm

Not a common mold right there.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    Not one to pass up if the price is even close to right… it is a great bullet for .38/357

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell38KeithHP358439.htm
    Read the article that you provided. Went ahead and got it. Thank you for the information.

Boolit Master

Read the article that you provided. Went ahead and got it. Thank you for the information.
    Good call!
    I would argue it's probably the "best" bullet for that snub nose. Cast out of a 40/1 lead tin alloy they weigh right at 158grs and with a +P powder charge they will expand even at snub nose speeds. There is no other bullet IMO that will perform better defensively in a snub gun.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    No Problem. My general rule of thumb is that anything hollow pointed (or hollow based if I can find any) for a caliber I have with a price I'm willing to invest is worth it.

I do have this mould and a newer Lyman version and once you get the hang of casting with it they can be quite fun to cast and shoot, I'm not a hunter or use these for self defense but they kill paper really well and folks that come out with me to the range think its great to fire "real" .

I do limited runs if these as production with a single cavity is a bit slow, I have the 2 cavity non-hollow point mould which gets more of a workout

Boolit Grand Master

I have one ... e-bay allowed me to buy a lot of discontinued moulds .
    Mine is in solid point and 170 grs. , tested in all my 38's and 357's I found it to be a long boolit ... I didn't like crimping over the first driving band .
    It also wasn't the most accurate boolit ... that title goes to Lyman 358432 , a 160 gr. modified wadcutter design that is not seated deep in the case .
    #358432 160 gr. (there is also a 148 gr. with the same mould number) has become my 38 special projectile of choice ... my Airweight J-frame stays loaded with then .

I simply find the 170 gr. 358439 too heavy and too long (mainly too long) for the 38 special and J-frame 38 revolver cylinder length's ... but I never tested the Hollow Point ... it might be a winner if it will seat and crimp in the crimp groove and still chamber ... I not a fan of crimping over the front driving band .

You don't see that mould every day ... if priced reasonably ... get it ... you will own other 38 / 357 handguns and it might be just the ticket .

In theory ... Lyman 358439HP is still in production and available from Midway USA for $97.99 in brand new condition ... But ... of course it's marked
    "out of stock , no backorder " !!!
    I don't know what a "reasonable" price is any longer ... when you feel the "price is right" ... jump on it with both feet !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by patio View Post
    Good Call !
    Do you mind me asking how much it set you back ... it has been a long time since I bought my last used Lyman mould ( before the covid thing) , this is a desirable one and was wondering what inflation had done to the prices .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Good Call !
    Do you mind me asking how much it set you back ... it has been a long time since I bought my last used Lyman mould ( before the covid thing) , this is a desirable one and was wondering what inflation had done to the prices .
    Gary
    Didn't pay a lot for it. I wouldn't use it as a gage for current prices. Sent you a pm.

Boolit Master
    I also have this mold. Got mine without the hp pin, so cheap! Made a pin and used it in my 1950 Heavy Duty. Found that I preferred solids! Made a pin for that. If you want to try solids without making another pin, droop a bit of bird shot in the mold before casting.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    I've had one from the '60s for a long time. Cast of app. ww alloy or a little softer, bullets weigh 155 grs. Best velocity you will get from a 2" J-frame gun will be about 750 fps unless you load it pretty warm. If you need expansion, use a soft alloy of no more than about 8-10 BHN.