RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Milsurp for me

Boolit Master

New Milsurp for me

Never owned one before, but came across a deal and had to pick it up. I’ve had Mauser’s, Carcano’s, Arisaka’s, Springfield’s, but never owned a 303 Enfield. Mind you, it’s a budget gun, but it’s all matching with a good bore. It’s an Ishapore No.1 Mk3*, good metal, decent wood and shiny bore. Need some ammo and dies now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27257913-2D98-4EA8-ACC1-D86B8F0559F9.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	316109
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1A2ED516-B96B-4778-BA51-039ADA000280.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	316110
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

You'll like it. Probably made in the 1950s, if the nose cap's sight protecting ears are square instead of rounded. Fully the equal of the British product.

DG

Boolit Master

Great buy, like you have many others but prefer my Enfields….still hunt with one I have had for 30 years.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master

I went into this search a few months ago looking for a No.4, but the prices scared me off. Just didn’t want to put $900 down for a nice one, plus I didn’t want a sporterized one.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    Good buy! I have an Ishapore 303 made in 1936, refurbished at Ishapore in 1947 (also No. 1 Mk 3*) and it shoots very nice. Mine particularly shoots cast well when sized at 0.313
    Hick: Iron sights!

The 303 with it's 1:10" twist and deep rifling lends itself to cast boolits provided you can get the correct sizing die.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

Thanks for the info guys. I got some HXP ammo on order, but plan on using cast as my primary load. Haven’t slugged the barrel yet. Got a 314299 that maybe will work. Need to do some research. Don’t know if 200 grains is too heavy or not.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    I went into this search a few months ago looking for a No.4, but the prices scared me off. Just didn’t want to put $900 down for a nice one, plus I didn’t want a sporterized one.
    Happy you found this!
    My first British Enfield was a sporter.
    Have found them to be an easy way into the market.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

That's good shooting Bad Ass Wallace!!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    My old college roommate had one - we killed a ton of deer with it.

Boolit Master

The 314299 is made for the Enfields, I swear. Look at NOE and Accurate Molds if you need a larger diameter.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have an Ishapore 7.62 that has been put in a KBI composite stock. Do any of you have an idea where I might find some original furniture and what it might cost? Thanks, GF.

My 'collection' of LE Mk1's, 1900, 1901 and 1902.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Those look really fine and would have lots of tales to tell if they could.

Boolit Master

Gray Fox, I have a spare buttstock you can have; no metal, though.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Grand Master
    A cast shooter at the club got his running quite nicely. Using an oversize .30 cal from NOE.
    Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

36 grains of IMR4350 under an NOE .316 boolit sized to .315 that's been powder coated and gas checked. Shoots great

Boolit Master
    Man, I've always loved the looks of Enfields with the full length wood, and metal endcap. I'm by no means a expert on Enfields. But that full length wood is mighty appealing to me. Same for Mannlicher Stocks...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I got some HXP ammo on order, but plan on using cast as my primary load. Haven’t slugged the barrel yet. Got a 314299 that maybe will work. Need to do some research. Don’t know if 200 grains is too heavy or not.
    I wish I had something good to say about Lee-Enfields but all I can say is fine battle rifle with the magazine capacity and smooth fast action. I had two going into the 21st century.....

Canadian Long Branch 1950 CNo.4 Mk1* with black walnut stock that still had beeswax finish. Beautiful 5 groove barrel in excellent condition. This was a really nice rifle. Paid $90 from Southern Ohio Guns.

No.1 Mk3* Peddled Scheme fresh FTR with new 5 groove barrel. Appeared unissued. Cost $59 from Southern Ohio Guns.

Pig sticker for the No.1 Mk3* with belt dated 1916 Toronto and marked 5CGA for the 5th Canadian Garrison Artillery based in British Colombia. My maternal grandfather was in the Canadian Expeditionary Force in 1916 from Toronto. I had grounds for collecting these worthless slug sprayers!

Granted I didn't spend any time working with either of these rifles but at 50 yards with 311299 .311" the No.1 would not even hit a 10" paper plate in 20 rounds. Not one hit. I used very bad language to voice my great displeasure. But for $60 how can you complain? Sold off these two along with an early Remington P14. Be gone inaccurate rifles!

The boys down Oz way have learned how to get these rifles to shoot well. I give them great respect in doing so because I wanted to throw that No.1 out in the street and watch trucks run over it.

Good luck. I highly suspect 314299 or even 316299 will produce smiles of some sort. Your rifle will love heavy boolits.

Speaking of Ishie's.... the stock set for a 2A or 2A1 will give you a higher comb buttstock. Much improved handling. Mounts right up to a No.1 Mk3*.

Dutch

Boolit Master
    I have one of those 1950 Long Branch rifles in beautiful shape. Enfields can be made to shoot, I have one scoped that does very well. The bedding is completely different from a Mauser and cast bullets must fit the bore.

Uncle Grinch, I use a Lee 185 and have the 311299. It's too small, I have powder coated a few but haven't tried them yet. I don't think that 200 grain is too heavy. I too believe that 314299 was made for the Enfield.