RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pellet Rifle?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    If you're referring to one of these:
    https://www.airgundepot.com/crosman-...air-rifle.html

you wouldn't go wrong in buying one, .22 caliber of course. They are totally re-buildable, if you ever needed to, and the variable power option is really attractive. I killed my share of critter with one as a boy and have nothing but fond memories of it, wish I still had it! The newest version comes standard with a peep sight, so a scope may not be needed.

Also, if you ever decided that you needed more power, there are places that will "magnum-ize" this rifle to deliver more air pressure, this allows the use of heavier pellets. Just something to think about.......

The Sheridan's and Benjamin's, while fine rifles, are handicapped IMO by their caliber. The 5mm is a lethal hunting caliber, no problem, but finding 5mm ammo can be problematic. Not the kind of stuff usually found at Walmart, while .177 and .22 caliber are usually well stocked, at least at my local store.
    https://www.amazon.com/sheridan-5mm-...an+5mm+pellets

I was given a Benjamin Trail .22 break barrel rifle.
    I tried three different scopes on it but all ran out of Left adjustment before it would zero.
    So, I removed the shroud from the barrel and gave the barrel some English….
    It’s sighted in now and minute of grasshopper.
    It’s powerful for an air rifle, but the non adjustable trigger sucks- and the gun itself is heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few years ago I bought an inexpensive Crosman break barrel with a scope. .177 cal. It’s accurate, fairly powerful on squirrel. Sure wished I’d gotten a .22.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Buddy

IMHO, centershot hit the nail on the head. Weirauch air rifles are very high quality, well made, and will last for generations—well worth the money. Their quality makes them a joy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    versa-06, the old phrase "You get what you pay for" was never more true when considering air guns. You've said that you want to hunt with it and that you want it to last. Let's look at hunting; With airguns, it's energy generated (ft/lbs), not speed (fps) that matters. I would strongly recommend a .22 caliber rifle for hunting. A .22 pellet weighs between 12 and 20 grains, depending on which one is most accurate in your rifle. I use a 14.22 gr. pellet, at a velocity of almost 800 fps and that lightweight pellet sheds velocity REAL quick! But, inside 30 yards, it'll kill any squirrel that roams the treetops. Choose your rifle carefully, compare advertised velocities and remember that those speeds are achieved only with the lightest pellets. Some people still believe that spring piston guns can not be left cocked for any length of time without causing the spring to wear. Testing has proved this false , in QUALITY air guns. If you want a springer, buy it. I did. And I couldn't be happier. I bought a Weirauch 95, put a Hawke Vantage IR 3-9x scope on it and went hunting. Great combination! Expensive? Yeah, about $750, but it was worth every single penny! You may not need the power of a '95, but Weirauch makes a slew of rifles that are lighter and less expensive. Check them out:

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spring-piston/

You can also check out the competition at sites like Airgun Depot:

https://www.airgundepot.com/

And, by all means, come join us in the Air Gun section:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/for...hp?182-AirGuns

Boolit Grand Master
    I will only add that if you get a "good" air gun, you will find yourself shooting it a lot. My .22 PCP will average under 1" all day at 50 yards with cheap Crosman 14.3 gr pellets. It is my most used rifle.

Very fun to use and with the moderator, I do not need hearing protection. It was tearing up used pallets I was using to staple targets to, and wound up getting a .22 LR pellet trap.

If you end up with a springer, be wary of scope selection. They will destroy most scopes.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I will only add that if you get a "good" air gun, you will find yourself shooting it a lot. My .22 PCP will average under 1" all day at 50 yards with cheap Crosman 14.3 gr pellets. It is my most used rifle.

Very fun to use and with the moderator, I do not need hearing protection. It was tearing up used pallets I was using to staple targets to, and wound up getting a .22 LR pellet trap.

If you end up with a springer, be wary of scope selection. They will destroy most scopes.
    I keep two by the back door. A Ruger .177 cal break bbl, with 4x scope. It is about 1200fps, very strong. Kills anything from squirrels up to and including foxes and raccoons. Does a very good job out to about 40 yards. The second one is a Daisy .177 cal break bbl, about 50 years old and still shoots great. It spits them out about 700fps so I keep it unscoped for short shots. Between the two I have killed about 5 squirrels per week, long term average, for 22 years, that comes to about 6,000 squirrels, and a bunch or raccoons.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    Considering a mass produced pellet rifle 177 or 22 cal & curious of best quality for the money. Popping a few chipmunks & skwirls. Don't want to spend as much as I paid for my collectors rifles. Something reasonable but definately durable. Any input appreciated. -06
    You might wish to check out one of Crosman's CO2 rifles. About $100 for the arm, some pellets, and CO2 cartridges combined. It should do well on small varmints without breaking the bank. Plus -- after using it a while, you'll have a solid foundation of "which way to go" (PCP, springer, break-barrel, et cetera) for an upgrade -- or, you may be happy with the Crosman product. I have a model 1077 and love it. It is light in weight, easy to sight, has (something to consider e most all air rifles: squirrels et al move real, real, real quick as you're fiddlin' trying to load and get that second or third shot off -- been there, done that ), really durable -- and did Isay pure fun to shoot? Here's Amazon listing of one: https://www.amazon.com/Crosman-Repea.../dp/B08XFQSHMP
    Best wishes!
    geo

Boolit Master
    Well; I just bought a Ruger #3 in 454 casull. I guess I ought to wait a day or two before I let my wife know I'm gonna spend some more money on an air rifle. I'll buy her a few nice things & then she won't care. Gotta Play The Game or Be A Loser. -06

Boolit Master
    I got one of those center break single shot crosssman's in 22 cal with a scope for just over $100 back during the big Obama shortage era and it will shoot several different style pellets at 950 fps very accurately across a standard 80' florida suburbia house lot killing whatever little critter gets in the crosshairs. a friend keeps asking if I still want to hang onto that cheap underpowered pellet gun and my answer has not changed, its not going to be getting a new home anytime soon.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    Crosman 362. It's a .22 multi pump that is right around $100, shares parts with the ever-popular Crosman pistols, and has the power you need. They tend to be very accurate, too.
    I would recommend the 362 also. You can regulate the power needed for what you're shooting and not over do it. Break barrel spring powered rifles take a lot of practice to get accurate with where a pumper is like shooting a .22 rim fire.

Boolit Master
    What I don't like about pellet air guns is most are way to noisy for covert shooting. Some are really cracky.

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up a Diana/Mauser 22 cal underlever made to simulate a 98 mauser. It is very rugged, decently accurate and very reliable. It hits pretty hard and is fine for critters in the garden or just plinking. It takes a bit of strength to cock it but I like the reliability and lack of extra gadgets to make it work. I have shot PCP guns and have competed in 10M International Air Rifle with them but for a farm workhorse, I really like this underlever springer.

Boolit Master
    BadgerShooter; A photo of that rifle would be good, Never heard of one. -06

Boolit Buddy
    https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spr...auser-k98-.22/

I see they are also making a PCP version for the infirm.

Boolit Master
    That is UNIQUE for sure. -06

Boolit Buddy
    The 98K styling isn't important to me, but the underlever, and durable construction, reliability and simplicity are exactly what I am looking for in a "farm" airgun. PCP guns are tremendous for extreme accuracy and/or power beyond what a springer can produce, but they do add complexity to the system.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mdatlanta View Post
    IMHO, centershot hit the nail on the head. Weirauch air rifles are very high quality, well made, and will last for generations—well worth the money. Their quality makes them a joy to use.
    We have three Weiruach rifles and a HW45 pistol. I’ve still got my Benjamin 22 Caliber pump. My favorite as a youngster was the Daisy 880, but most friends had Crossmans.

I recommend to anyone who can swing it to get a Weirauch. I like the trigger better than on our RWS.

Krale Shop is good too.
    https://www.krale.shop/en/sport-shoo...0%5D=Weihrauch

They are in Europe, but shipping is not bad and fast.
    Last edited by JDHasty; 08-20-2023 at 06:54 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4367.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	317389

Diana 34

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12