RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you use a tubing cutter to shorten cases?

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1546.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	319436I've cut hundreds of .284 Win cases off to make .450 Bushmaster using my full size chop saw. First drill the appropriate diameter hole through a block of Hardwood, then screw it to a board so you can clamp it to the table at the correct final, (nearly final), length using a shell holder to index the case, and cut through the block and the first case. The block supports the case wall giving a very clean cut. After that I just push in a new case and zip them off. I used an 80 tooth finish blade and it worked fine. Takes about two seconds per case. Sorry about the sideways pic. No idea how I managed that.
    Last edited by BD; 10-30-2023 at 01:12 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice solution BD.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

I had a box of 50 32 WCF blanks that were about 1/4" too long. I went to the belt sander wearing gloves. Took about 15 minutes to rough trim all of them so I could finish them to proper length with my Lee case trimmer.

Boolit Grand Master

This trimmer doing 223 to 300 BO is impressive.

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    The Harbor Freight chop saw is all I use to cut brass when it needs more than a slight trim. I got it to convert 5.56 cases to 300BLK, but it's so fast and easy to setup for just about any cutting job that I have used it for other cases and arrow shafts as well.
    i use the same one

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    An awful lot of people use the Harbor Freight chop saw with complete satisfaction. I can’t imagine doing a thousand cases with a tubing cutter.
    I cut 500 .475 Linebaugh to .480 Ruger on my HF saw. I just did 50 or so at each session and had no issues at all.
    Regards,

Gary

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123