Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: NOE Bullet Sizer confusion/frustration

Boolit Master

NOE Bullet Sizer confusion/frustration

I need to size the bore-ridder portion of a new bullet I recently got from Accurate. I know NOE offers the tools to do this but their website offers no information that I can find explaining exactly what parts I need to order to do the job. AND as usual most of what they do offer is OUT OF STOCK. I assume I need a die body - but there may be more than one version of that - not sure - and they are all OUT OF STOCK. Of course I need the actual sizer bushings - either a .315 or .316 - they ARE in stock. I found a You Tube video on their forum where a reloader gives a very short demonstration of the sizer but has practically zero close ups to show details of the tools that he is talking about. Does anyone have one of these set-ups who can provide a list of everything I need to size the bore-rider part of a bullet? There also seems to be some means to reverse the bullet back out of the nose sizer die since it can't pass through as in normal sizing. I don't want the whole set up for sizing the body of the bullet as I have that covered with my RCBS Lubrisizer.

I sure wish NOE could somehow allow back orders or up production so that most everything wasn't OUT OF STOCK practically all the time. You have no way to even let them know there is interest in a product.
    Last edited by 35 Rem; 07-16-2023 at 10:35 PM. Reason: clarification

Boolit Master
    For nose sizing you need the body and the "Top Punch Hand Ram". If you bought the 'kit' one of those came with it.

The nose bushing is inserted same as the body bushing, from the bottom into the die body. The Top Punch Hand Ram is fitted with a top punch. You can use the top punch made for your bullet mold, or just a flat punch. Insert the Hand Ram into the top of the die body. Then fit the push rod on the reloading press ram. Place bullet on push rod and shove into the nose bushing. When you have sized as much of the nose as you want then press (tap) on the Hand Ram until the bullet pops out of the nose bushing.

I got tired of hammering on the Ram to get the bullet back out. Made a lever that bolted to the top of my press that would press on the Ram. So, I pull down on the press handle to size the nose, then press down on the top lever to eject the nose sized bullet.

I also made a substitute for the push rod that limits how far I can push the bullet into the die.

If I remember I'll take some pics tomorrow.

PS can't do anything about their back orders. Just is part of dealing with a one man business.
    Last edited by charlie b; 07-16-2023 at 11:08 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00A39D45-B47A-41BC-96D8-616B4C2CCD4A.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	316078Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00A39D45-B47A-41BC-96D8-616B4C2CCD4A.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	316078I like my Noe sizing system, however, I only use it to body size bullets. Here is what comes with the “push through size die body”.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    The piece to the far left is the Top Punch Hand Ram that you need for nose sizing.

Boolit Master
    OK, thanks for the input. I also found more info on the NOE website by Full Lead Taco after posting the above question. Looks like I need the "Push Through Die Body" item which is a full set of tools minus the specific bushing in spite of the verbiage implying that it's just a bare die. The fact that this same item appears under each diameter bullet for the same $46 confirms that this must be the basic set of tools and then all I need to add is the .315 and .316 bushings. I got excited when I noticed that you can almost buy it in pieces but the actual bare die body is OUT OF STOCK. Oh well, I'll just keep checking until it is available. Thanks again for the help!

Boolit Master
    Yep. If you are going to size body and nose it makes sense to buy the 'kit'.

To be complete you also need to buy a push rod for each dia you will be sizing, for your case a .32cal push rod.

If you already have a Lee sizer of the appropriate size, you can use the Lee push rod, also.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

being unfamiliar with this , I can assume that what I need is the nose sizer as is the subject here ?
    Having purchased a "XCB" mold for my 308's using normal lube sizing , functions perfect ..
    Powder coated is a different story with the extra layer versus chamber .
    I am having to set the bullets deeper slightly to compensate .
    Would the nose sizer and extra parts be the answer to this particular situation ?
    This thread is very informative so far , thank you
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Master
    Sorry but nose sizing did not 'fix' the issue with PC and the XCB in my Savage .308. The XCB nose has a 'long' taper that nose sizing just does not do much. So they get seated deep.

I went back to a regular lubesizer with the XCB's and they do really well.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Sorry but nose sizing did not 'fix' the issue with PC and the XCB in my Savage .308. The XCB nose has a 'long' taper that nose sizing just does not do much. So they get seated deep.

I went back to a regular lubesizer with the XCB's and they do really well.
    Thank you much ..
    Had a bit of a quandary there.
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Master

Even Al himself dosent consider his nose sizer a viable long term option for any kind of volume use. Its a band aide at best.

CW

EDIT; I have the XCB too. I find refining my powder coat to a thin even coat has eliminated nearly all my bore rider issues with powder coat. The single bullet that dosent work is a NOE copy of the 358009. I just conventionally lube this one.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw