Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Savage Axis 2 in 300 Blk

Boolit Master

Savage Axis 2 in 300 Blk

I bought myself a birthday present!
    I have been thinking about building a 300 Blk bolt action rifle with a Remington 788 that is storm damaged.
    I stumbled across the Axis for $400 with a Bushnell 4-12 scope and I jumped on it!
    it has a 16'' bull barrel that is threaded so the barrel should be rigid.
    I just wish that it would use M-16 mags.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Let us know how it groups. Im looking at the ruger myself, but am not pleased with some accuracy claims. This is my second choice. For a short range gun I sure wish they would come with sights...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Misery-Whip View Post
    Let us know how it groups. Im looking at the ruger myself, but am not pleased with some accuracy claims. This is my second choice. For a short range gun I sure wish they would come with sights...
    Inexpensive red dot will work!

Boolit Master
    I’ve never herd of an Axis that doesn’t group well! Especially with a $20 trigger job from Mcarbo!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Banned

one of the 243's i bought for grandkids was an axis. first and last load i tried in it went under an inch for an average of 3 5 shot groups

A very easy cartridge to get shooting well with either J bullets or cast,lots of load data for both. I like the cartridge enough to have three guns chambered for it, D.D Ambush AR-15, Remington Mdl 7 and a CVA single shot.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have a regular Axis .308 with the spring kit that shoots great. Currently bidding on an Axis II with 18" barrel and full size stock also in .308.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I got to shoot my gun a couple of days ago!
    I got a 1 hole group at 25 yards zeroing it in with 125 grain jacketed bullets.
    Next time I will try it at 100 yards.
    The bench is kind of low and I couldn’t get comfortable.

Hmmm,...I've been considering a Ruger Ranch in .300blk as well. But Delta's mention of re-barrelling that old Remington gets me thinking;...I have a buddy who wants to get rid of his Mossberg Thunder Ranch MVP in .223 because he's disappointed in the accuracy. But If I were to get it from him cheap enough and re-barrel that thing,....

Hmmmmm,....
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Master
    I have had 2 Ruger Ranchs in 300BO, both shot fair, but fed awful. I sold them, came across a deal on a Savage Axis gently used. With a 125 gr Speer tnt it will shoot a 3 shot cloverleaf at 100 yds, will do the same with a 220 gr subsonic Sierra at 1050fps handload. I have a Vortex 4x12 x40 Crossfire on it. It is a keeper. With a suppressor on it, the bullet impact is the loudest thing you hear at 100yds.

I have a RARR 16" in both 5.56 and 300 BO. I got the 5.56 on sale from a gun store that was closing its doors for $300. Unfortunately, it is the old version with the 5 round rotary magazine. I got the 300 BO version last year for $499 and it does have the AR magwell. I use these guns to test loads for my 16" AR's in 5.56 and 300 BO. So far, my best load for the 300 BO is 19g CFE BLK under a Lee C309-170-F bullet with an aluminum gas check (1/2 the cost of copper GC's but work just about as well). 50 yards off sandbags with a UTG Bugbuster scope.

If I had my druthers, I'd swap barrels and use the 300 BO RARR with the flush 5 round rotary magazine and put the AR receiver/stock on the 5.56 but both shoot so well as-is, I don't want to mess with them.

100 yard group with 10 cent .224 Xtreme fmj bullets reloaded in PMC cases.

As far as feeding, yes they can cause problems if you try to feed too quickly. A deliberate, moderate pace gives me no feed problems with either caliber.

Was watching forgotten weapons about the m1 carbine. Interesting, in WWI, NO Germans were killed with 1911! Normal troop training precluded hitting target > 10 yds. Basically we needed a pistol cal carbine with 300 yd requirement. M1 did the job. 9mm and 45acp not up to requirements. Now the 300BO serves the purpose well. Better than the M1 and can approach x39. Makes a good 'ranch' gun for varmints. Wilson Combat variants give even better performance with some loss in bullet weight.
    Whatever!