Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: H&I (Lyman Size Die Observation

Boolit Buddy

H&I (Lyman Size Die Observation

While cleaning some sizing dies I noticed the surface of the center rod was concave on some of them. I've been using them for years but this is the first time I noticed. Is that a design feature? If so, what is the purpose. Not all are like that.
    I was having trouble getting a good gas check attachment with my 376 so I just PC'd them. I turned it flat with the lathe but haven't tried it yet.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

For a bevel base bullet or to collect excess lube? Guessing. I dont know.

Boolit Master
    This is common and is to allow any slight sprue nub to prevent the bullet base from making intimate contact with the Center push out rod of the HI die. Many will intentionally counter sink the center of this rod and that will insure that the outside perimeter of the base of the bullet is flat and square.

Boolit Master

It's normal and more so on the older one's.

Boolit Master
    Yep most of mine are like that
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shell70634 View Post
    While cleaning some sizing dies I noticed the surface of the center rod was concave on some of them. I've been using them for years but this is the first time I noticed. Is that a design feature? If so, what is the purpose. Not all are like that.
    I was having trouble getting a good gas check attachment with my 376 so I just PC'd them. I turned it flat with the lathe but haven't tried it yet.
    Whey didn’t you just turn the rod around? Although I doubt that is why your gas check isn’t seating,
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Whey didn’t you just turn the rod around? Although I doubt that is why your gas check isn’t seating,
    Because most a rounded on the other end
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

If you don't want to use the concave surface ... remove the rod and simply install the other end ... the three I'm looking at are concave on one end and flat on the other ... you get's to choose what you want to use .
    I never had any problems with the concave end ... just sized the boolits and didn't put excess pressure on the lube handle .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I noticed that I get a little less leakage when lubing bevel base bullets using the dished end. Now I just leave it installed that way. No issues with checks or flat based bullets either.

Sam Sackett

Banned
    Just like the one member mentioned about the sprue and also it makes for a better seal contact on the bullet to keep the lube from sneaking by. I believe it was in the old NRA cast bullet book about concaving the top of that punch and also drilling a hole all the way through of a very small diameter to give the lube that gets under the bullet someplace to leak off too. I also modify the flat nail head pin that pushed the die piston or plunger up along with the bullet by cutting a + in it with a small triangular file to let that lube that goes down that bleed hole I mention a place to get out. No more bunches of lube under my bullets!