Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .454 Casull v. .44 Magnum

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, Paul, rate of fire rather than velocity of bullets. As fast as you can pull the trigger.

OK thanks guys.
    -Paul

I really enjoy the Alaskan in .44mag for the same reason as the vast majority of my guns, simply because I like it, no reason to have them other than the fact than I enjoy them. If the .454 has your interest get it, when you get tired of abusing yourself with full throttle Casull rounds load those cases down to warm .45Colt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    If I was to get an Alaskan, it would be in 480.
    I think a more usable size would be a super Redhawk with the barrel cut to around 5.5".
    It would still be short enough to pack easily and get into action quickly. Plus the barrel would still be long enough to make 100yd shots if needed.
    Lots of agreement here!

As a cast boolit shooter, I believe in the 480 Ruger cartridge more than I do in the 454.

For the 454 to be cast friendly you need to load it closer to a Ruger only load in 45 LC than a top 454 load.

While I have not fired a 454, I have noted felt recoil differences between similar loads in 44 mag just by changing the dwell time, that is same bullet, nearly the same velocity but different powder. As a result I can reasonably predict that the drastically shorter dwell time of a 454 is going to intimidate far more shooteers than the more sedate muzzle velocity of either the 44 mag, 45 LC or the 480 Ruger.

BTW, I own a 480 7.5" SRH and like it very much.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Groo here
    If you are talking protection,,, ranges will be short, you may not even use the sights, the idea of followup shots is up to you barrel length is not needed[range is short]
    A large bore, usually hard cast or fmj. standard weight or heaver,flat nose, and MV somewhere around 900 to 1200 [no more needed] from the gun you are carrying.
    Remember , you are not hunting[range long] you are defending [range short]
    AND the old Black Powder 45 colt with a 1/10 lead boolet would go through a HORSE , you have much better boolert.

Boolit Buddy
    You can have a 5.5 inch 45 colt Blackhawk for the same weight as an Alaskan. With moderate +P loads the lighter blackhawk will equal or surpass the Casull out of the short barrel.

Not to mention the uncorking pressure of 35 grains of powder at 60k PSI and a short barrel vs the 25-30k PSI out of a longer barrel with less powder. The Casull might save your life in an alley in the city but it would rupture your ear drums at twice the sound pressure level of a 16" muzzle braked 338 Win Mag.

Quote Originally Posted by mnewcomb59 View Post
    You can have a 5.5 inch 45 colt Blackhawk for the same weight as an Alaskan. With moderate +P loads the lighter blackhawk will equal or surpass the Casull out of the short barrel.

Not to mention the uncorking pressure of 35 grains of powder at 60k PSI and a short barrel vs the 25-30k PSI out of a longer barrel with less powder. The Casull might save your life in an alley in the city but it would rupture your ear drums at twice the sound pressure level of a 16" muzzle braked 338 Win Mag.
    Excellent, thanks. That's really helpful info beyond the specifics of this direct comparison, learned something new.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Groo View Post
    Groo here
    If you are talking protection,,, ranges will be short, you may not even use the sights, the idea of followup shots is up to you barrel length is not needed[range is short]
    A large bore, usually hard cast or fmj. standard weight or heaver,flat nose, and MV somewhere around 900 to 1200 [no more needed] from the gun you are carrying.
    Remember , you are not hunting[range long] you are defending [range short]
    AND the old Black Powder 45 colt with a 1/10 lead boolet would go through a HORSE , you have much better boolert.
    Thanks Groo. Also great post. Previously with the .44 mag, it was all commercial bullets for reloading. It would be nice to cast for whatever I end up here, too. The Vaquero is looking high on the short list.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Lots of agreement here!

As a cast boolit shooter, I believe in the 480 Ruger cartridge more than I do in the 454.

For the 454 to be cast friendly you need to load it closer to a Ruger only load in 45 LC than a top 454 load.

While I have not fired a 454, I have noted felt recoil differences between similar loads in 44 mag just by changing the dwell time, that is same bullet, nearly the same velocity but different powder. As a result I can reasonably predict that the drastically shorter dwell time of a 454 is going to intimidate far more shooteers than the more sedate muzzle velocity of either the 44 mag, 45 LC or the 480 Ruger.

BTW, I own a 480 7.5" SRH and like it very much.

Three44s
    I agree 100%. Even though I have a 7.5 in SRH in 454, I couldn't imagine it with a 2.5 bbl! The extra weight really helps and with bears on the table, I would want a double action with big bullets for big holes. Whatever you could proficiently hit at a close distance quickly. The thought of teeth and claws gnawing on me give me the willies.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    Years ago I was getting ready for my summer trip to Alaska and saw a clip of a hunter and guide that jumped a big brown bear. The angle of the camera made the bear look 40' tall and both guys were pumping rounds into the bear. I showed the clip to the Wife and she said I need a bigger gun to keep me safe during my vacations. I was not going to argue! I told her I knew just the gun as there was a special run available in 500 S&W (4") in the Alaska Backpacker series.

It sure puts a smile on my face when I take it to the range.
    Ooh, please send me the link to use on my wife:

A. The family should not go to Alaska with me, and
    B. I need a Freedom Arms 83.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    Ooh, please send me the link to use on my wife:

A. The family should not go to Alaska with me, and
    B. I need a Freedom Arms 83.
    You know, we could do with an online course on how to convince the fam that, you know, that trip and that new firearm is just really, really, even more really important.
    -Paul

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry guys. I have no idea how to find that video (10+ years ago?). The hunter used a bolt action and the guide a lever action. As I remember it the bear stood up and the hunter shot it and then both hunter and guide shot it several times. The angle of the camera, a ways behind and a bit above the hunters, made it look like the bear (a very large bear!) was towering over the hunters.

I'm not an expert on bears nor wives. I don't want the bears to chew on me so I leave them alone. The Wife I just lucked into. She bought her 329 as soon as we moved to AK.

Banned

i had an 454 alaskan. kick my but for selling it. yes it was LOUD but as far as uncomfortable to shoot it was the easiest shooting 454 ive had or shot. combo of the great grips that come on then and with the shorter barrel the bullet is in the barrel (dwell time) for a shorter amount of time to impart recoil. i had mine cut for moon clips and it would shoot 454s and 45 colts with or without the custom moon clips and would even shoot 45acp with smith 25 moon clips. i even took it to a ppc match and shot a 289/300 back when my average was a 294 and that was with full power 300 grain loads. It was comical though. they had to stop the match after 5 rounds because one guy next to me dropped his gun and3 out of the other 4 shooters were completely missing the target. they made me shoot my round alone. that was about 15 years ago and they still talk about it at matches. i won the expert revolver class that day and took second in semi auto. the match was shot a a range right behind the local feed mill. at the trophy ceremonie i was up getting my trophys and one of the ladys ran to the mill and bought a pigs ear and when the ceremony was over they called me back up and gave me a pigs ear. the whole crowd was screaming. i still have that pigs ear on my trophy shelf. but to get back to the subject that gun WITH ear plugs was as easy to shoot as a 44 super blackhawk, by the way the worse kicking 454 ive owned was my first. a 7.5 FA. tht thing came back harder and was louder then my 475s

Boolit Bub
    Hot 44 mag load =s wrist broken in 1 place... hot 454 Casull load =s wrist broken in three places + extremely disjointed elbow. Don't ask me how I know.

Boolit Buddy

I have shot several deer over the years with a 44 Mag. They don't ever get up. Haven't tried it out on a big Alaskan Brown. Would prefer to use something shot from my shoulder. The 454 Casull is a fine cartridge but expensive. The 454 Casull brass is scarce. 44 Mag brass is cheap and available. The Casull guns are not a medium priced gun. The Ruger Redhawk 5 1/2" is built like a wagon. You can't break it. My choice would be a new Colt Annaconda 4" I have pounded a lot of ammo through one and after 25years mine is still slinging lead. Timing is still perfect! My idea of a box of 44 Mags is a 50cal Browning ammo can full of reloads. You can buy an Annaconda 44 for under $1500 now. 23 1/2 grs of 296 and a 240gr HP Hornady works great! If you don't reload and don't care about $$$$ then buy factory 454 ammo and the shooten iron to go with it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    Here’s my idea of “practical” barrel lengths.
    454/45 Colt Super Redhawk 5”
    Model 69 2.75”
    Model 629-6 3”

Attachment 316029
    Ruger did a run of Super Blackhawks with a 3.75" barrel for a distributor. You might could locate one if you hunt hard enough.

ETA: Guess they actually did two runs - a standard plowhandle grip for TALO, and a Bisley grip for Lipseys.

Attachment 317292

Attachment 317293
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    454 in a short barrel is just blowing powder into the air. Done a bit of handgun hunting and the big meplat is the ticket, at moderate velocity and moderate recoil, that you can control. Burning powder in the air, in front of the muzzle, is only flash and noise.
    Amen Brother. People do not realize how much velocity is lost in a short barrel! You'd be lucky to get 45 LC velocities out of the Alaskan.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12