WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: H & A Underhammer Rifle Parts – Brass Trigger Guard & Lollipop Peep Sight

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

H & A Underhammer Rifle Parts – Brass Trigger Guard & Lollipop Peep Sight

I am currently fixing / restoring two vintage Hopkins & Allen Underhammer Perussion Rifles from the 1960s era. One of them I am restoring is from parts I received courtesy of a member of this site. It is one of the “buggy rifle” models. I am missing the brass trigger guard extension which extends the normal mainspring trigger guard and it is also missing the H & A “Lollipop Peep Sight” which screws into the rear of the underhammer action. (Please see photos of these parts)

I know it is probably a long shot, but perhaps someone has one of the brass trigger guard extensions or one of the Lollipop Peep Sights sitting around in a box of miscellaneous parts? I am posting pictures of the parts I need as well as a photo of their placement on the rifle in relation to the action. If anyone has these parts, or other parts for the H & A underhammer rifles, and would be willing to sell them, please PM me. Thank you!

Jim

Brass Trigger Guard Extension - has two holes for mounting to the butt stock and it sits directly behind the mainspring trigger guard.

Lollipop Peep Sight - this mounts to the top rear of the H & A underhammer action - it screws into a drilled/tapped hole.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	315995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	315996   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	315997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	315998   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	315999  

mid week bump

Still hoping somebody has one or the other laying around in a box of old gin parts somewhere!

Boolit Master

It’s possible you have already checked but Numrich used to show they had the grip extension in stock.
    Facta non verba

Thanks Reg - I did check Numrich Parts and about all they have showing are some misc. small parts. Years ago, I purchased a 36 cal. H & A copy that Deer Creek was making at the time - took delivery of it at Friendship at the Nationals. I did send them an inquiry to see if they possibly had any parts left over - I can't remember if they used the brass extension on only of their models or not, but I don't believe so. And Pecatonica, who shows underhammer parts/kits does not show either the extension nor the peep sight.

The "buggy rifle" I am working on is lacking both parts. The barrel appears to be salvageable and at some point, someone drilled and tapped some holes on the top flat - not sure for what. If I can't find either of the parts, I'll just have to fabricate something up I guess.

Thanks for the post - appreciate it!

Jim

Last bump to see if anyone has these parts - or any other H & A underhammer parts.

Thank you!

Boolit Buddy
    Check the threads for the lollipop sight mounting hole. You might be able to gin up a sight mount from a screw to fit the hole and a receiver sight. Pecatonica or Deer Creek has sold a lot of these for bench rest shooting (Table matches). A receiver sight for a Savage 99 might be adaptable
    Last edited by gunther; 07-30-2023 at 06:11 PM. Reason: more info

This is a Hawken's trigger guard from Track of the Wolf. If you trimmed on the lines you could make it fit. I have one and have thought thought of doing this.
    Name:  trigger guard.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  10.7 KB

A "fruitless search" s0 will have to go the route of "making it" Thanks to all for the suggestions. Looks like the modified Hawken trigger guard is good match and since the top flat of the barrel has been drilled and tapped near the breech, I have a design in mind to fabricate a peep sight using those 2 holes to secure a flat steel strap running back yo the rear of the action that will be adjustable for windage and elevation.

Thanks
    Jim

Mods please close

Moved to CD.

DG