Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bullet alloy??

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    Something close to #2 has always worked for me.
    yup...

Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    50/50 pure lead/ wheel weights with 2% tin. Works awesome for just about everything.

Now, that being said,I’m going to start on some Lee 312-155 2r produced using “ hardball” or 92-6-2. All rifle boolits are heat treated , while baking the powder coat, for one hour at425*f then quenched in ice water.
    That was mine, and I loved it too (425 gr WFNGC from Accurate). However it became more and more difficult for me to get wheelweights and so I've just moved over to a blend of 2:3 PB:No. 2 from Rotometals, giving me 94:3:3. Heat treated and water quenched.
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master

Clip-on wheel weights plus 1.5 or 2 % tin.

Boolit Master
    For rifle approximately 92-6-2, but will caveat that my rifle loads are all in the 1500-1600 fps range.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    i use alot of that alloy too. as is for under a 1000fps and water dropped for mags and rifles. went that way years ago because i was given about a ton of pure and good ww's were getting tough to find
    Similar to yourself, I switched to this alloy when I was able to buy about 1,000 lbs of pure lead. I only did that after reading how it could be used for something other than muzzle loaders here on this website. Makes me sick to think of the pure lead I turned down prior to that. Previous to this I used nothing but clip on wheel weights with a few stick-on weights added just to use them up. Everything I've ever cast has been air-cooled also. My method for handling higher velocity is gas checks. Since that only applies to rifles for me, the cost of a gas check isn't significant because of the quantity needed. All my rifle hunting loads are somewhere between 2,000 and 2,100 ft/sec.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12