Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Matchlock flash pans

Boolit Mold

Matchlock flash pans

Hello, has anyone seen a photo or drawing of a matchlock with the pan attached to the lock plate like a flintlock? I think everything I have seen has the pan attached to the barrel. I have a project in mind but if the matchlock doesn't work for me I would like to use the barrel for a percussion or flintlock.

Boolit Master
    I would like to build a matchlock gun sometime also.
    I too would like a lock that has the flash pan attached.
    I would probably have to build one myself.
    But when I was a kid.
    I did build a pistol that had a hole in the top of the barrel with a depression around it.
    The pistol was fired with a firework punk.
    Back then I did not have the skills to build a mechanical lock.
    But I did build a pistol that was a heavy pipe for a barrel.
    I hose clamped that to the old body of a broken electric drill.
    I wired the trigger switch to a battery and use model rocket igniters to fire it.
    It was something stupid, but fun to play with
    Last edited by LAGS; 07-15-2023 at 12:46 AM.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I don't know if this link will help you or not, but it shows a number of matchlocks. Maybe you can blow the photos up to take a look at how some of the flashguns were made?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...IQFRML&first=1

What I know about matchlocks wouldn't fill a thimble, other than how they function.

My first question would be are you trying to be 100% historically correct? From what I'm seeing on the photos, there is a wide variation in the locks and flash pans. Some seem to be on the barrel and some on the lock?

Does anyone make a match lock lock? I'm assuming that a person would have to construct their own . . . which if a person has a basic knowledge of how to do some metalworking, looks like it wouldn't be a difficult thing to do, just time consuming.

If you think you may end up using the barrel on a percussion rifle at some point, I would think the easiest path would be to locate where you would place a drum and nipple if you used it on a percussion rifle, and drill a vent hole at that location Then design you lock so it has a flash pan as a part of the lock. It looks to me like there are so many different variations of designs - given that each one was made by hand and hot mass produced with interchangeable parts - that even though you might want to be as historically correct as possible you could use a little latitude in your design and 99% of those that see your matchlock wouldn't know the difference - they are going to be more taken by the uniqueness of it and the "cool factor".

Please keep us posted on what you come yup with - an interesting project! I don't know if anyone on here has a matchlock, but if there is, it would be nice if they could post some photos of their lock and the entire weapon. Interesting stuff!

Yes, the late English military matchsticks had pans attached to the plate

Boolit Mold

Boolit Mold
    I found one. This lot sold for 437 English pounds in London in 2018. The auction site dated it to 17th century. I think I can probably make one for less.

Boolit Mold
    I forgot to attach the photo.
    Too bad it's just the lock, I would like to see the gun.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Matchlock flash pans.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	316072

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    So . . . . educate me on the matchlock lock . . .

In looking at photos, it appears that there are a variety of designs . . . .

Kn the "pan", I assume there is a cover . . . . is the cover manually moved or flipped out of the way prior to activating the trigger or lever to lower the match to the pan or is it linked so that it uncovers the pan as the match arm is lowered to the pan?

In the lock mechanism, is there a spring, sear and tumbler of some description involved or is it a linkage design of some sort?

Or, is it a case of many different designs due to transitions over time?

I know matchlocks aren"t for everyone, buy I can see how a person could get interested in making one. I wish I still had access to machine tool as I can see how it could be fun to make a matchlock lock if for no other reason than the challenge. Sparked my interest enough to at least want to learn more about them and their history.

Boolit Grand Master

Typically the pan cover was manually moved to expose the powder to the match. There may have been some that were more complicated than that but the military would usually not go there. If you can find a matchlock manual of arms this is obvious.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Mold
    PAN - As stated, on early M-L arms the pan was dovetailed into the barrel, but the late 1600s, after the English Civil War, the pan was indeed part of the lock plate. I have one coming in in a week or two, made from the The Rifle Shoppe parts (cast from originals) where the pan is part of the lock plate. I will post pictures here later.

TYPES - For matchlock muskets, there are 3 types, in order of progression there was the lever or ‘tiller’ operated matchlock.

The 2nd incarnation came as a ‘snapping’ matchlock where the serpentine was cocked and held in position, the there was a ‘button’ on the side of the action, which functioned as a trigger. This design is so simple! Another example of a ‘snapping’ type matchlock is the Japanese Tanegashima matchlock.

The 3rd and last type of had a true trigger as we know it nowadays.

MECHANISM - There is no sear per se, less that on a snapping matchlock. On the others, the tiller and the trigger types, it is a simple toggle arrangement. I have pictures, but can’t post them tonight due to a slow connection. I also have plans and links for making matchlocks.

MAKING MATCHLOCKS - You don’t need any machine tools, less a cordless drill. You can make them just plain plate or scrap steel, a hacksaw, a few files and a drill. VERY SIMPLE! Again, I have plans I can post, but I can’t even post pictures tonight, because I am sleeping aboard my boat … with a sloooooow connection …l

Feel free to message me if I don’t get back to this post in a few days …
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 925F13EF-B914-4B5E-BE99-5807B58F4FE0.jpg  
    Last edited by Lefty223; 08-04-2023 at 10:18 PM.
    All my ‘toys that go BANG’ will shoot into ONE ragged hole ALL FREAKIN’ DAY LONG ... it's just those darn additional shots that tend to open up my groups!