MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: 30-06 cast vs jacket load data.

30-06 cast vs jacket load data.

Hi all. I’m still working on the bismuth alloy, for hunting.
    I’m getting ready to set a buddy up, but it’s .30-06 , the one common cal, that I have not loaded for, yet. I know H335 is not the ideal 30-06 powder, but it’s what I have ATM.
    I have plenty of H335 data for jacketed 30-06, I’m just double checking, for running cast… how would you guys adjust the data , for cast ( checked and pc ) in 30-06.
    Thanks for any help.
    Just because it’s a bad idea…
    …. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a good time !

Boolit Master
    Here's an older thread that may help you:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...0-30-and-30-06

I read that, while searching prior to posting. I’m ready with the Dacron, just looking for an idea of the cast vs jacketed adj, in 30-06
    Last edited by Krh1326; 07-14-2023 at 10:31 PM.

Boolit Master
    There are so many powders that work well in the 30/06 with CB's that, after reading the recommended threads above, I would be looking for another powder. The good news is that powders are more available now than they have been for some time. I do not have an '06 but I shoot CB's exclusively in both 308's and 270's which get pretty close. My 270 seems to really like Red Dot, 3031, 5744, and RE-7 without dacron filler. My 308's like Red Dot, 2400, and 3031 again without dacron or other fillers. Expect optimal accuracy without leading to be around 1800 fps so a charge of 30 gr of 3031 or 19-20 gr of 2400 either using a boo lit of about 170 gr plus a gas check will get you on your way.

Boolit Master
    I use IMR SR-4759 which is not available any more but there are other powders with a close burn rate. 1800 fps range is where I get my best accuracy with the RCBS 30-180 boolit. Larry Gibson has done a lot with the 30-06 & the 311041 boolit with slower powders. I don't use dacron fillers in fear of putting a ring in my barrel. My .02 cents, your mileage may vary. -06

Boolit Master
    There's a large section in the Lee manual that covers cast in the 06 with several Hodgdon powders, it would be worth a look. Most likely H335 is listed as so many H powders are. Will be for non PC heads but used as a starting point with them.

I will purchase an additional powder, once I’ve made sure of function with the bismuth alloy. I was just looking to see if the “60%” of jacketed data, in 30-06, is viable for a few test runs.

EDIT: Mea Culpa… I only just now found that special cast section, in the Lee book. I was pounding through the main section, and starting on page 444 is all the 30-06 info, and it’s mainly jacketed data. That special section is hidden in the 150’s.. thank you all.
    Last edited by Krh1326; 07-15-2023 at 09:48 AM.

Ive used that cast bullet section several times and like it.
    Picked up the new Lee book a couple months ago. I like the new book better, but that section is not in it anymore.

I wish it had the FPS and Pressure breakdown for H335 for .35 Rem That’s MY hunting round, I had to zero in the normal ways, for my 200 gr pills, but without the FPS and Pressure info… just nice to know. Did mine for accuracy, and stopped there.