RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Really wanting a 32 S&W Long or 38 Spl

Boolit Master
    I have an orphan Ballard #2 centerfire action that's been whispering ".32 S&W Long" in my ear for a while...

Would make a fun companion piece to either my .32 S&W Hand Ejector or 60's vintage Colt Police Positive Special .32.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds like a great idea to me. It should be a pretty straightforward build. If you haven’t already chosen a barrel, I’d suggest Green Mountain. They have a line of barrels profiled for “small lever action rifles” that come in a tapered octagon configuration with a full diameter cylindrical section at the breech, perfect for threading and leaving the trademark Ballard “tulip” when fitted. They make one advertised as 32-20 that should be just your huckleberry for that 32 S&W L project.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I have a Ballard #2(?) that came with the reversible firing pin. It was chambered for the 32 Long. I was not able to find ammunition so I shipped its to V M Starr and had it lined and chambered for the 22 WCF. My reasoning was that light Hornet loads should work. They did but I wish I would have had him ream the chamber for the 32 S&W Long.

Anyone have a spare #2 barrel?

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master
    Kevin,
    The Ballard barrels of the day for 32 rf/cf were a little hinky for modern ammo… wrong bore diameter and twist. If I were going to build a 32 S&W L chambered Ballard, I would take a rotted out original Ballard barrel and have it suitably relined or just replace the barrel altogether. I don’t think you would ever get the kind of accuracy you want by simply rechambering. Of course, YMMV.
    Your friend the Frog

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    I have a Ballard #2(?) that came with the reversible firing pin. It was chambered for the 32 Long. I was not able to find ammunition so I shipped its to V M Starr and had it lined and chambered for the 22 WCF. My reasoning was that light Hornet loads should work. They did but I wish I would have had him ream the chamber for the 32 S&W Long.

Anyone have a spare #2 barrel?

Kevin
    I do, but it's not a .32 Long, it's a .38 Lomg and attached to a #2 I'm selling.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got both a Ballard and a Maynard with barrels with TJ's liners chambered in 32 S&W long. They are fun to shoot and very accurate and easy on the powder supply with 3 grains of Unique and a 100 gr bullet. Don't hesitate to get a #2 Ballard lined if it is not in shooting condition at present. You'll be pleased with the results.

Boolit Master
    Thank you all. I will have another barrel lined or just buy a 32 S&W long barrel and have it installed.

Kevin

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    Thank you all. I will have another barrel lined or just buy a 32 S&W long barrel and have it installed.

Kevin
    Sounds like the beginning of a beautiful friendship, Kevin. I can’t imagine not loving that little lightweight rifle in 32 S&W L for lazy woodswalking and casual plinking. Do you plan on a tang sight to finish it off? That’s what I would use.
    Froggie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Sounds like the beginning of a beautiful friendship, Kevin. I can’t imagine not loving that little lightweight rifle in 32 S&W L for lazy woodswalking and casual plinking. Do you plan on a tang sight to finish it off? That’s what I would use.
    Froggie
    A tang sight in my woods would be less useful than a good set of irons. Plus, since it will be a switch barrel rifle, each barrel will have its own sights.

Of course I could line the barrel that is on it now, the one that was sleeved to 22 WCF. That barrel is still marked 32 Long. It would be fitting but I would loose the 22 WCF.

Realistically, at my age, this project is merely a wish and will not come to completion. The 22 WCF does everything I need. And I have revolvers for anything that it can not cover.

Kevin

Boolit Master
    Honest, possibly silly question. Why 38spl instead of 357mag? Is the action of the host gun not up to the pressure? I load basically all my 357s at 38spl pressures but I am glad the brass is tough enough to take full power if I want it.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    Honest, possibly silly question. Why 38spl instead of 357mag? Is the action of the host gun not up to the pressure? I load basically all my 357s at 38spl pressures but I am glad the brass is tough enough to take full power if I want it.
    I know you were not asking me but for me, I prefer the 38 S&W Special cartridge. I recently found two 5 gallon buckets full of empty Special cases left over from my competition days. I moved those over with the two I already had so only one (maybe two) are still missing. And while I am not necessarily a big fan of my rifles and handguns sharing the same cartridge, this could be an exception.

Kevin

In the past I had a Handi Rifle set up to shoot 327 mag and I can shoot all the 32's out of it , I have it sighted in at 3/4" groups at 50yards with a scope. Nice gun to use and bring it on my trap line . My friend that made it for me that I should have no problem with 150 yard shot. It is a 21" barrel on it . What ever I shoot in that is the same ammo I shoot in my Ruger BH 327 .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    In the past I had a Handi Rifle set up to shoot 327 mag and I can shoot all the 32's out of it , I have it sighted in at 3/4" groups at 50yards with a scope. Nice gun to use and bring it on my trap line . My friend that made it for me that I should have no problem with 150 yard shot. It is a 21" barrel on it . What ever I shoot in that is the same ammo I shoot in my Ruger BH 327 .
    Once again, it’s bad this forum lacks a “LIKE” button! I would hit it for this post for sure. My Ruger #3 project to go with my 327 BH fills the same niche. We’ve drifted pretty far from the original “32 S&W L” in a Ballard #2 topic though.
    To bring this back on topic, how about a nice old S&W Break-Top in 32 Long to carry on your side? They haven’t gotten the love shown to the later solid frame guns but would do well with loadings appropriate for the Ballard.
    Froggie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    That's a great question. This project will be a custom reamer with a throat that matches the chosen mold. I have no need for a dual-purpose gun. I want a dedicated rifle.

The rifle is a Remington-Hepburn #3. Thy came chambered in the larger calibers. No pressure concerns

Boolit Grand Master
    Again stretching the boundaries of the topic, but I’m wondering about a TJ’s liner for my 327 project. When I had Project 616 (a S&W K frame in 327FM) I was told, “no way, no how” for lining a revolver barrel but I believe that had to do with the thinness of the forcing cone. The Ruger barrel should have plenty of hoop strength inside the receiver as it is there. I know I’m in relatively uncharted territory, but for those of you who have lined barrels, what do you think? I’m especially sending out a bat signal here to John Taylor and Deadeye Bly. TIA guys!

Froggie

PS I really hadn’t thought much about this until John mentioned the specs for the TJ’s liner… that .312 X 16 twist sounds just about perfect!

Boolit Master
    Personally I think that firing from a cylinder in to a liner would tend to push it forward. In a rifle the case will expand against the chamber. This should help keep the liner from moving forward.

Just a thought....

Boolit Master

If my .32-20-ish converted Martini Cadet wasn't a light's-out shooter, and if I thought I had a prayer of ever shooting out that light's-out shooter barrel with cast bullets, I would turn it into a .357 Magnum or .38 Special tomorrow. Never underestimate the logistical power of ubiquitous free brass.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Again stretching the boundaries of the topic, but I’m wondering about a TJ’s liner for my 327 project. When I had Project 616 (a S&W K frame in 327FM) I was told, “no way, no how” for lining a revolver barrel but I believe that had to do with the thinness of the forcing cone. The Ruger barrel should have plenty of hoop strength inside the receiver as it is there. I know I’m in relatively uncharted territory, but for those of you who have lined barrels, what do you think? I’m especially sending out a bat signal here to John Taylor and Deadeye Bly. TIA guys!

Froggie

PS I really hadn’t thought much about this until John mentioned the specs for the TJ’s liner… that .312 X 16 twist sounds just about perfect!

There are a couple of ways to install a liner. A simple hole bored through and the liner epoxied or tinned in place is normal and usually acceptable. Another way would be to shrink fit the liner into the hole. Properly done, it won’t ever move. And, you could turn your liner so it looked like a Military Mauser barrel and fit it that way.

But, I think I know who told you “no way”. He is not a believer in liners. He can make his own barrels, why should he line something?

Kevin

Boolit Master

Froggie

The root diameter of the threads on the barrel would need to be about 5/8". This would give about 1/16" wall thickness, any less and you might have the barrel going down range. If your worried about the liner moving it could be turned down a small amount, leaving a shoulder and boring the barrel to match. I have never had a liner come out from shooting.

Boolit Mold
    I just had my 1885 Lo-Wall Winchester converted to .38 Special. I felt that there will always be brass and bullets available. My .32-20 and .38-55 is drying up fast. What is available is costing $2.50 a shot which takes it out of the "fun" zone~!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast