RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Really wanting a 32 S&W Long or 38 Spl

Boolit Master

Really wanting a 32 S&W Long or 38 Spl

I have not been in to shooting for a while. I'm just wanting something to spark some interest . This would be an offhand range toy only!

I have a decent Remington Hepburn in 32-40 with a large diameter bore. Just not interested in breech seating for it.

I'm wanting to have a reamer made with a throat for cast bullets. 32 S&w long is on the top of the list.

I'm thinking a Marbles rear target apature barrel sight with a 30" barrel. 1in 17 Shilen ratchet twist barrel. Keep them light and subsonic so I don't need hearing protection.

Just throwing this idea out there to get roasted.....

If not a small straight wall pistol cartridge it would be a 22lr

Boolit Master
    Forgot to add .308 barrel for 32 or .355 barrel for 38.

Boolit Grand Master
    Even a .22 Short will cause hearing damage. Other than that, I think a light rifle in .32 S&W Long would be awful hard to beat in the fun category.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I have found my long barrel 22LR guns are very quiet for the shooter. I would think a subsonic out of a 30" barrel would not require hearing protection. Not a deal breaker either way

Boolit Master
    I like the .38 special idea. I have a Handi rifle i .357 mag, that I shoot light 158 gr semi wadcutters and round nose slugs out of, it has a 3x9 scope as it came with no sights. It Has the heavy barrel, but is short overall, and holds very well offhand. I regularly shoot out to 150 yds with a hold over and hit pop cans very well. It recoils like a .22 lr with these loads, but can be noisy. I have a ammo can full of .38s I loaded a couple winters ago on my Dillon 550B, I will grab a handful and put them in a shirt pocket and walk out to my range and plink, or drice over in my back pasture, and shoot cow flops and watch the crap fly.

Boolit Master
    I like the 32 a little better because it will have a case full of powder. Most fast pistol powders should work. Cheap and available! Slower powder and mag pistol primers might be a possibility. I want to keep the bullet light 77- 100gr-ish

This is to load progressive and have lots of ammo. I have always wanted to do this.

A 38S&W is another option. Light than normal bullet traveling 1000ish.

Since this is custom I want a match chamber. Loading a smaller than normal powder coated bullet should make things much easier.

Boolit Grand Master
    Why do you want to plink with powder burners that need primers, cast bullets and need to be reloaded?

You will get many hours of cheap trigger time with a good PCP gun and not waste hours casting, sizing, lubing, cleaning brass and reloading. I am shooting sub 1” groups at 50 yards. And no hearing protection needed. BTW, my cost for pellets and air is $15/1000.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	315988

Got that one covered Don. Styer with. Nightforce ATACR.

I have always wanted a custom chamber/throat lead bullet gun. The idea of loading a 30cal lead bullet in a 32 case seems great. Not having to expand the case mouth for an oversized bullet is very appealing to me.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	315988

Got that one covered Don. Styer with. Nightforce ATACR.

I have always wanted a custom chamber/throat lead bullet gun. The idea of loading a 30cal lead bullet in a 32 case seems great. Not having to expand the case mouth for an oversized bullet is very appealing to me.
    Nice rig!!!! Makes my Daystate look like a ***...LOL
    Don Verna

I have a #1 Rolling Block Sporter that was relined with a .357" barrel liner, and chambered in .38 Special. Heck of a good shooter, and I love it. I've shot it out to 500 yds. and it's very accurate.
    I also have a Ballard #2 in it's original .38 Long barrel that has a gorgeous bore, and shoots .38 Long heeled 145 gr. bullets very well. They're larger for the bigger groove in the #2's .38 Long chambered barrel, but it's also a hoot to shoot.
    I personally love these rifles in their shorter pistol length cartridges as they're extremely mild with almost no recoil, and very quiet too. Easy on the ears, and the shoulder, and very addictive.

Boolit Master
    Besides .22 rifles, my light, fun gun is my Martini Cadet that had been rebored back in the '50s by Klein's in Chicago to 357 Mag
    Fun to shoot everything from light 38 wadcutter loads in 357 cases up to the lyman 358315, 200gr RN over a healthy charge of 4227
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master

Name:	31-087T-D.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	316025

Any thoughts on this mold. Bullet would be powder coated and custom reamer. I like the bore rider and it leaves room for powder. I'm sure it could be cut to .309

Boolit Grand Master
    Back in the Spring I got the makings of one of my dream projects, a Ruger #3 Carbine to be rebarreled in 327 Fed Mag. Why this chambering, you may ask. I want to be able to use it for a variety of shooting and being able to shoot pipsqueak 32 S&W Long rounds at 50 feet and hot 327s at 100 or even 200 yards, and by changing cartridges in the same rifle, I can do just that.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post

Name:	31-087T-D.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	316025

Any thoughts on this mold. Bullet would be powder coated and custom reamer. I like the bore rider and it leaves room for powder. I'm sure it could be cut to .309
    Looks like an Ed Harris design
    Being human is not for sissies.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Ed does not do powder coat. His design his 31-094H. Great choice for .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Mag, .32-20.and for small game loads in any .30 caliber deer rifle with 6 grains of Bullseye.

Name:	31-094H-D.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	316302
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

I've a Ruger #3 in 22 Hornet of which I shot the barrel out numerous years back. Been cogitating on a rebore/rechamber to 32 H&R or 357 magnum. Just can't seem to make up my mind.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    Sounds like a great rifle, a .32(or .327, or a .32H&R) in a Ruger #3. Kinda wondered why Ruger didn't chamber them in a smaller .32. (Probably wouldn't sell enough, except to collectors, never to be seen again. Good Luck Chris

Boolit Master

I get quite a few customers wanting a 32 S&W. Some get new barrels and some get liners. My own is a Cadet with an octagon barrel. I did a 32-20/30 carbine for Mr. Harris a few years back using a 308 barrel. Seems the lead .312 bullets do well in a 308 bore. New barrels usually require a barrel blank from Douglas to get the .312 groove with 1 in 16 twist. T.J.'s has liners with the same twist and bore size.

Boolit Master
    Im planning to use a .310 bullet. This should make loading lead in the 32S&W much better.

To tell the truth I have been back and forth between the 38spl and 32sw.

The 32 won out.
    I need to get the mold ordered....

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I've a Ruger #3 in 22 Hornet of which I shot the barrel out numerous years back. Been cogitating on a rebore/rechamber to 32 H&R or 357 magnum. Just can't seem to make up my mind.....
    Oddly enough Larry, I found a shot out 22 Hornet barrel to use as a starting point for my 327 FM build. It sort of fell in my lap when I announced here that I had found a donor Ruger #3 carbine in 223. I still think this has the potential to become a great woods loafing rifle. Of course there are lots of great cast and jacketed bullets available for 38/357, but when I survey the moulds I have on hand in 311-314 and the case capacities available for 32 S&W, 32 S&W L, 32 H&R and 327 FM (all of which can be fired from this same chamber) I only regret I’m not about 30 years younger to get the fullest enjoyment out of it! I see near-limitless potential here.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast