RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Largest BP cartridge.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.

Largest BP cartridge.

Anyone have any idea on the largest BP cartridge that a Remington M67 rolling block #1 action will safely handle pressure wise?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That is an ambiguous question. Do you mean the highest pressure cartridge that should be used in a rolling block, or the largest cartridge, which will be running at much lower pressure?
    Highest pressure I would guess was the 7x57 Mauser. Largest I would guess was 16 gauge shotgun.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Nobade, didn't mean for my question to be confusing. I've got a second Remington #1 rolling block I'm thinking about rechambering. I'm wondering how much pressure this type of action will take safely using only black powder as a propellent. Guess it boils down to the largest black powder cartridge Remington ever chambered their #1 in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    I have a rolling Block #1 in 58 Berdan
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master

I think you should stick to black powder pressure. 7x57 was a smokeless action.

They can go to a pretty good diameter, like the above mentioned 58 Berdan and 16 ga shotgun but they can't be terribly long because you can't get it past the hammer unless it is a bottleneck like the 43 spanish. What do you have in mind?

I'm not sure. Without knowing how much pressure the #1 can handle safely I'm just guessing at what my opinions could be. I need to find a list of all the calibers Remington #1 rolling blocks were chambered for.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    I'm not sure. Without knowing how much pressure the #1 can handle safely I'm just guessing at what my opinions could be. I need to find a list of all the calibers Remington #1 rolling blocks were chambered for.
    pressure should be a non issue with any straight blackpowder load? If you want to add some safety margin stay away from the heavier boolits in whatever calibre you choose.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    <snipped>Without knowing how much pressure the #1 can handle safely I'm just guessing at what my opinions could be. I need to find a list of all the calibers Remington #1 rolling blocks were chambered for.
    There is no such list. However...

What country rebuilt their 1867 rolling blocks to fire 8x58R Danish? Yep, Sweden. But bear in mind the Swedish RB were re-case hardened with newly mfg breechblocks and hammers. This modification was done to standard black powder Remington No.1 rolling block actions.

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/GB8x58RD.html
    Historical and Experimental Investigations of the Pressure Characteristics of the 8x58 Rimmed Danish Cartridge By Galen R. Burgett

Now read that entire page, every.single.word and be sure to look at the Norma chart at the bottom of the page. Here is listed a couple loads using SMOKELESS powder and.... it lists the chamber pressure in psi and BAR.
    29,110 psi
    2,300 BAR

Also look here: Catastrophic Failures of Rolling Block Rifles
    http://dutchman.rebooty.com/RBfailure.html

But you're tap dancing in the area of what it can "handle safely". You want to know how much... All you'll find to that question is anecdotal information. Heresay. Word of mouth. That's not a real good way to find how much abuse a rolling block will take before it comes apart in your face.

Norma Precision of Sweden was factory loading a 8x58R Danish cartridge with a headstamp of 8mm m/89. I have several. These were loaded to shoot in the m/1867-89 rolling block. When you go around the internet forums and ask this question over and over hoping to hear an answer that you like, you better like 29,110 psi because that's the answer to the question you asked and it comes from Norma of Sweden, not some dude on the 'net.

For comparison: Finland Mosin-Nagant rifles were proofed at 3600 BAR. Its marked on the side of the barrels.

If it was me... I'll be looking at .50-90 Sharps.

There was a thread on the single shot rifle forum discussing RB strength. It was many years ago and I've lost the saved data. But they actually did a chemical analysis of a No.1 action and it came back being very close to SAE 1018 steel. Common low carbon steel. Can't be heattreated but can be case hardened.

Oversize Bullets, Reduced Powder Charges and other Blowup Stories
    by Jim Taylor
    https://leverguns.com/articles/taylor/blowups.htm

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    There is no such list. However...

What country rebuilt their 1867 rolling blocks to fire 8x58R Danish? Yep, Sweden. But bear in mind the Swedish RB were re-case hardened with newly mfg breechblocks and hammers. This modification was done to standard black powder Remington No.1 rolling block actions.

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/GB8x58RD.html
    Historical and Experimental Investigations of the Pressure Characteristics of the 8x58 Rimmed Danish Cartridge By Galen R. Burgett

Now read that entire page, every.single.word and be sure to look at the Norma chart at the bottom of the page. Here is listed a couple loads using SMOKELESS powder and.... it lists the chamber pressure in psi and BAR.
    29,110 psi
    2,300 BAR

Also look here: Catastrophic Failures of Rolling Block Rifles
    http://dutchman.rebooty.com/RBfailure.html

But you're tap dancing in the area of what it can "handle safely". You want to know how much... All you'll find to that question is anecdotal information. Heresay. Word of mouth. That's not a real good way to find how much abuse a rolling block will take before it comes apart in your face.

Norma Precision of Sweden was factory loading a 8x58R Danish cartridge with a headstamp of 8mm m/89. I have several. These were loaded to shoot in the m/1867-89 rolling block. When you go around the internet forums and ask this question over and over hoping to hear an answer that you like, you better like 29,110 psi because that's the answer to the question you asked and it comes from Norma of Sweden, not some dude on the 'net.

For comparison: Finland Mosin-Nagant rifles were proofed at 3600 BAR. Its marked on the side of the barrels.

If it was me... I'll be looking at .50-90 Sharps.

There was a thread on the single shot rifle forum discussing RB strength. It was many years ago and I've lost the saved data. But they actually did a chemical analysis of a No.1 action and it came back being very close to SAE 1018 steel. Common low carbon steel. Can't be heattreated but can be case hardened.

Oversize Bullets, Reduced Powder Charges and other Blowup Stories
    by Jim Taylor
    https://leverguns.com/articles/taylor/blowups.htm

Dutch
    I did the Husky 50-90 Sharps. I still had the Remington #1 to decide if I was going to leave it chambered in 12.17 x 42mmR or have the barrel set back an then reamed to 50 Alaskan.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you rechamber it to 50 Alaskan, don't ever fire full pressure loads through it. And keep in mind that if you ever sell it, there is a possibility that the next owner might do that and end up with a lobotomy himself. I would not do that.