Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: .45 ACP W/ LongShot

.45 ACP W/ LongShot

Anyone try .45 ACP with LongShot?
    I know it’s a slow powder, prolly wouldn’t be as good as HP-38/ 231, but it is working well in my .40sw and .357 sig. Made up some 9mm, but haven’t been to range with it.
    Last edited by Krh1326; 07-14-2023 at 01:04 PM.
    Just because it’s a bad idea…
    …. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a good time !

Boolit Master
    I tried it with 185 grain Gold Dots, which were the only .45 bullets that I had at the time. LongShot was also the only powder that I owned at the time. I got a lot of soot on the brass, because the cases weren't sealing the chamber well. I bought some other powder(s) and never looked back. LS works very well with some cartridges, some others not so much.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    I absolutely love love love Longshot and the closely-related CFE Pistol in .45 Auto; very easy to load, works with essentially all bullet weights and types, and gives the highest velocities with modest powder charges. Probably not the best choice if you're looking for lighter loads, but if you want a nice stout load, it's great stuff. I have not found it to be dirty, but I've mostly stuck to the higher-end loads. I load 12 gauge, too, so this does double duty for me; it's fantastic for potent shotshell loads as well.

Boolit Bub
    There is lots of load data out there for it but I prefer cfe pistol in my 45 loads I run 230gr and 5.8gr of cfe. I have lots of Longshot on hand but I use it for my 10mm rounds.

My results are poor until you get the pressure up past +p. Longshot is really too slow for standard 45acp, but it us very good for 45 super and 460 Rowland.
    I use Silhouette for my 185gr @1100fps loads.

Boolit Buddy
    Been using it for a long time but as others have said use it with heavy charges and heavy bullets.

Boolit Master
    It cycles my slide better than Silhouette and True Blue. It’s loud, which makes it more fun. Heats up the brass more than anything else I’ve tried, which could reduce brass life. I shoot a 230 grain round nose boolit at the max charge. SD in velocity isn’t super tight (around 30, IIRC). Burns clean and I have not had any leading in my barrel (92-6-2 alloy, with FWFL). I like it in .45 ACP.