Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Sharps barrel profile dimensions

Boolit Buddy

Sharps barrel profile dimensions

I am getting ready to rebarrel a Pedersoli 74 Sharps. I have a Green Mountain 32" Sharps #4 profile barrel that I bought probably 20 years ago. I want a more slender profile that is half round. I have been trying to find a source for Sharps barrel profiles on the internet with no success. Anyone have any information or have a Sharps that has a 32" half round barrel they can measure?

Boolit Master
    I don't have any dimensions as far as barrels go, but I do have some ideas. I have one of the old IAB Sharps replicas that I've owned since '82. I consider that gun a "parts kit", and plan on upgrading or replacing several of it's components. I have a .458" barrel blank from Borchardt Rifle Company, and will be using a PTG reamer in 45-70 to make a new barrel for the rifle. (Other improvements are going to be installing a double set trigger, machining a new link for the falling block, some stock modifications, etc.)

First off, the barrel shank of a model 1874 Sharps is supposed to be 1.127" in diameter x .760" long, with 10 tpi square threads. The shoulder is supposedly 1.24" in diameter, and then reduces to an octagonal profile. That's what the book says, but it could be different on your import. The only way you'll know for sure what you have is to pull the barrel and measure your barrel shank. With an octagon section you're obviously going to need to time the barrel so that the flats are square and true with the action. I would do this before setting the shank length so that it matches to the breech face, and before chambering the barrel. If there is no standard length for the transition from octagonal to round, then make the transition in a place where it's aesthetically pleasing (maybe 1" to 1.5" ahead of the handguard). If you plan on having a half round/half octagon barrel, there's no need to cut the flats the whole length of the barrel blank: just machine the flats a little longer than they need to be, then turn the rest of the barrel in the lathe. If there are original factory dimensions for this style of barrel then duplicate them. If not, and each gunsmith or replica factory makes their own size and length, then choose the dimensions that look best to you.

One of the best resources that you can ask this question to would be the manufacturers of Sharps replicas. Call them up on the phone and explain what you want to do, and ask what size and length they make their barrels to. Usually information is the best when you get it right from the source.

Boolit Buddy
    I understand all about thread cutting and the need to have the barrel time so a flat is on top. The Green mountain barrel is already profiled as a fully octagon Sharps #4 profile. I will not be doing the rebarrel. The rifle to be converted is a Dixie Sharps by Peedersoli in 45-70. The contour closest to the receiver will have to be reprofiled to match the existing 45-70 barrel and then the rest of the barrel made round. I was trying to get an idea of the muzzle diameter of one of the 32" Sharps profiles that are half round.
    Bill