Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lube sizer VS pan lubing

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Got the push though system, love it , especially the fact I can incriminate go up by .001 for only $7 a bushing ...and the fact I don't have to go all over the place to get odd sizes . But do t like tumble lube..messed with some and just too messy for my liking
    You probably used too much tumble lube like everybody else at first. I haven't use my Lyman 450 in 20 years.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    Anyone know where I can get cookie cutters for bullets?

ACC
    I always used a fired case and cut off the case head. For grip I just use a layer of duct or friction tape. For pistol bullets you can find a rifle case of the appropriate size and use it.

Boolit Master

ACC
    Extremely easy to make. Cut a strip of paper from the sales receipt you got from you last visit to the grocery store. Wrap this paper tightly around an as-cast boolit until you increase the size by roughly 0.005”; it can be helpful to wet the paper with spit. Then push that paper wrapped boolit into a brass case. Pull the boolit out, and you now have an expanded cookie cutter. If it is not expanded enough, wrap more paper and repeat. If expanded too much, run through a sizing die and repeat.
    It is good to make a cookie cutter with a long piece of brass. For example, I use a .45 Colt case for my .45 ACP cookie cutter, and a .357 Mag case for my 9mm cookie cutter.
    You might need to drill the flash hole larger so you can use an Allen wrench to push each boolit out of the cookie cutter.

Boolit Master

ACC
    I made one years ago and don't get much use out of it anymore. It left just enough lube on the boolits to make a mess of my seating die. I don't have any silicone pans but I do use the push-through method like tmanbuckhunter. Try it both ways.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Got the push though system, love it , especially the fact I can incriminate go up by .001 for only $7 a bushing ...and the fact I don't have to go all over the place to get odd sizes . But do t like tumble lube..messed with some and just too messy for my liking
    After the initial swirl in an old plastic pet treat container, I dump them out on a cookie sheet lined with baker's parchment paper. Several times during the drying cycle, I glove up and swish them around on the parchment a bit as the lube stiffens. This allows more of the runoff extra TL to build up in the grooves. Ultimately, not much excess left on the paper.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I learned to paper patch to avoid gas checks .
    I made Darrs lube because I had the stuff on hand . Then I fixed so it would stay put on 100° days in the desert .
    I bought Lee push throughs because they were the same price as H&I pairs .........
    I thumb lubed 25-30,000 bullets and sized them in the Lee dies .

Do not cheap out on gas checks !
    Search passively for a lube sizer , the old Herters lubesizers come up under $50 and the second generation use the Lyman/RCBS H&I dies . Which is the vast majority of them .

There is a world of difference and it's worth it even up to $125 for the lubesizer (Lyman 450/4500) .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master
    For me, pan lubing is too slow, especially if you are using a cookie cutter. I expect only to have 3 score and 10 years--6 months left--of life. The less time I have to spend lubing and sizing, the more other things I can find to waste my time on.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    2 things. #1 how on earth can you "bend" a bullet in a lubesizer? an #2 why on earth would anyone want to pan lube; thinking that it is better?

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    2 things. #1 how on earth can you "bend" a bullet in a lubesizer? an #2 why on earth would anyone want to pan lube; thinking that it is better?
    Very easy. Long, BPCR long range bullets cast from tin lead alloys bend in lubrisizers very easily. I've also see bullets cast from antimonial alloys get bent in a lubrisizer if they're too long/skinny. 26 and 28 caliber projectiles are notorious for it.

Boolit Master
    Neither of my long 6mm or .30cal bullets have ever bent. I guess it depends on how much you are trying to size them.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Neither of my long 6mm or .30cal bullets have ever bent. I guess it depends on how much you are trying to size them.
    Doesn't take much. It's less likely with antimonial alloy bullets but I've seen it happen. It's mostly a problem with BPCR long range bullets. The shortest bullet I shoot is just shy of 1.35 at 1.32", cast out of 16:1 or 20:1.

Boolit Master
    sorry guys. my thoughts are that if you are bending bullets; something is wrong in the sizing process. you might want to size nose first.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    sorry guys. my thoughts are that if you are bending bullets; something is wrong in the sizing process. you might want to size nose first.
    They are not actually bending - they are buckling. When a long, slender column is under compression it can buckle before it fails under compression stress.

Boolit Master
    For rifle boolits, the method of lubing is not a big deal because the number of boolits is low compared to handgun boolits.

I learned on Dad’s Lyman lubisizer and when I got out on my own I tried pan lubing (got decent but labor intensive results). I saved and bought a used Lyman soon as I could for 357/38 boolits. Slowly I added my rifle calibers to my growing collection of lubrisizer dies. I also used Lee Liquid Alox, thinned with mineral spirits and baked the coated boolits in a toaster oven. Worked fine up to 800 fps.

Then I saved and bought a new Magma Star. Best system ever! Nothing is faster. Nose or base first sizing. Checks or not. I started with my handgun boolits and it does all of them now. I still go to the Lyman for small batches (50 or less) of rifle boolits. Anything over 50 boolits is worth changing dies in the Star.

Lubrisizers don’t wear out. They’ll last way more than anyone’s lifetime of hard use. I highly recommend buying them early in life. Do the Star if you’re serious about handgunning.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

I used this stuff and am impressed with its performance. My bullets are for 38 Short and Long Colt.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/rooster-...bull-rlrj.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12