Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sort by head stamp

Boolit Buddy

Sort by head stamp

Just curious. I have more than a few thousand cleaned 9mm cases and I got to wondering if it's worth the effort to sort them all by headstamp/manufacturer. I've had my share of small issues with crimping and such and thought that maybe if all things were as consistent as possible it would perhaps lessen and complications. Just curious.

Boolit Buddy
    If they are fired from different guns and are just range pickup, then I think you would see even variations within the same headstamp. I've never noticed any consistent variation besides case weight and I've sorted a lot of 9 mm

Maybe be 200 or so by headstamp and see if it helps.

9mm Luger Range brass.

I do check trim length of 9mm range brass after sizing. Some are to long & need trimmed. Less problems this way.

A match grade gun will benefit from brass all of the same lot. Can you shoot the difference?

Range brass i load with my RCBS dies & cast bullets have yet to have any issues. My Taurus G3C is not built to be accurate. Its spray & pray.

Do your own testing to know. More reasons to go shooting.

Boolit Master

Like 243winxb, I check for length after resizing and discard anything that doesn't fit my case gauge. (Our club has a quite active 'bang & clang gang' - steel shooters - who don't reload so I've accumulated once-fired brass than I'll ever need.) I don't carry reloads in my EDC, no longer shoot competition, and really don't see any reason to sort for practice/plinking ammo.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Banned
    There are such a tremendoug variation it 9mm case dimensions I would say it's worth while to do so. Don't forget the stuff is made all around the world.

I'm way more particular for rifle brass.
    However:
    For handgun brass, I do the cleaning, polishing, then run it through the progressive.

Ones that don't look or feel right, they'll get the attention they need for pulling and/or discarding-- whatever.
    In a lot of a thousand range brass and my old ones, there's never more than a handful.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

If you enjoy doing that sort of thing and you shoot in competitions then I say go ahead and do it. If you just shoot for the fun of shooting then I wouldn't do it. My carry loads are all from the same lot of new brass and are kept separate from my other brass.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    I think I do more "top-down" than "bottom up" inspection. I have run into some with a stepped case that get tossed into the "if I really have to" bucket. Most of my boolits are 140gr and up, and many are seated deep. Kicking out the stepped saves a lot of bulged cases.

Boolit Buddy
    With it being 9mm and mixed, I think that sorting by headstamp (HS) may be a good idea. Two main reasons, one is the primer flash hole location. A lot of brass has it off center which causes no end to decapping issues.

Then again being 9mm, case wall thickness and taper varies. It is likely easier to load the same HS brass then to mix it up.

I recently did the same with 45 ACP brass. And was surprised with the flash holes on certain manufacturers being off center. A decap nightmare... Yea, that brass went into the recycle bucket.

45_Colt

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dearslayer View Post
    Just curious. I have more than a few thousand cleaned 9mm cases and I got to wondering if it's worth the effort to sort them all by headstamp/manufacturer. I've had my share of small issues with crimping and such and thought that maybe if all things were as consistent as possible it would perhaps lessen and complications. Just curious.
    Sorting is an excellent idea.
    If it's range brass I'd hit it with a magnet before doing any sorting. There are brass washed steel cases out there. I found over a hundred of them a couple weeks ago from the range.

My process varies according to the ammunition's purpose, but all gets de-primed and cleaned before sorting. Sorted "lots" of brass accumulate until there is enough for a run of zombie apocalypse ammo. The small numbers that don't appear as if they will ever make enough to bother with get combined and loaded on the progressive with cheap plated bullets for plinking. I can definitely feel a difference in how the press operates with mixed brass, and that difference shows in the reliability of my various 9mm pistols. This is just range/plinking/training ammo, so any malfunctions are more training.
    The sorted brass gets loaded with real boolits and more care. This is the "don't want a malfunction" public training and ZA ammo. All of these get checked in a case gauge, and any that fail to COMPLETELY fall into the gauge are kept separate for more plinking. Almost all of these still work fine in most pistols, but may have problems in tight chambers.
    I live rurally and carry a pistol everywhere, so my reloads and cast boolits are most likely what I will be carrying if ever a need arises. They are typically not carried for a a "real" trip to town; that sees me switching to JHPs. But, I don't worry about a quick trip to get whatever is needed to fix what I just broke.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    I probably have more 9mm brass than I can ever use. I sort after depriming and cleaning. Any that I cull are dinged badly or the primer pocket is worn out. I prefer to load specific HS and there are a bunch I save for really bad times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Moderator Emeritus

Yep, I headstamp sort every caliber I load for...for multiple reasons.
    When loading on a turret, I can feel any defects when I've removed the variable of brass brand differences.
    I load by batch, I like to have same HS for a entire batch.
    Is it more accurate? IDK?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

in 9mm the only time i do it is when i am developing a new load. i figure the less variable the better in load development. once the load is developed however, i don’t. it’s just load it and blast away. i don’t have precision 9mm though 2 Rugers a SR9c and a 9E.

Boolit Buddy
    I sort by headstamp. Then for handgun brass, I sort by once fired and other brass. It's easy to tell because the inside of the case is clean and the outside is shinny. I then assemble loads by different bullets and charge by headstamp. For example, I load 45-200LSWC with Rem brass and 45-230 LRN with Win brass and 45-LHP with Fed brass. I'll weigh separate my headstamp separated brass too.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I tested some years ago .
    I had The Load for my gun on Win 9mm . So I loaded it in RP , FC , Blazer and S&B 50 each . 10 to Chrono . 10 in blind selection mags , loaded one group in loose mags just grab a mag no peek and fire it . 10 in known loaded mags , and the remainder loaded randomly from a mixed bag into 15 round mags .

The Blazer and FC as expected at the time were indifferent but about 50 fps slower . They probably came off the same lines at that time .

The RP failed to eject , ranging from failure to clear the chamber at all to full body stove pipes and only 3 of the 50 managed to pick up the next round but caught the rim in the port .

S&B was 50+ fps faster and had primer flow and belly buttons on every case .

The load was 3.9 scaled Unique from a 1968 lot , CCI spp , and Lee 358-124 tltc . Fired from a FEG HP9 High Power clone .
    All of the magazines were proven reliable before the test and the pistol had been polished and tuned to some degree before my purchase. It would feed empty cases and 148 gr nose out WC as well as the Lee 358-158 RNFP .

4.2 Unique "fixed" the RP issues
    4.0 matched the FC and Blazer to the Win .
    3.6 cured the belly buttons but allowed failures if not held rigid .

I don't think with The Load in the Win brass the was any real danger of over max at least to the arm as a CIP production arm but the ftf and belly buttons didn't make me happy.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I'm way more particular for rifle brass.
    However:
    For handgun brass, I do the cleaning, polishing, then run it through the progressive.

Ones that don't look or feel right, they'll get the attention they need for pulling and/or discarding-- whatever.
    In a lot of a thousand range brass and my old ones, there's never more than a handful.
    This is how I do it! I can’t shoot the difference and I don’t shoot matches.

Boolit Master

always check for Berdan primed crap. It's out there. It will mess up a reloading session and cost you money if you "find" them while decapping in your progressive. Otherwise, I cant shoot the difference with a pistol.

Boolit Master
    All my 9MM brass is range p/u. I don't trim it but I measure every case after resizing and cull those longer than .752" and shorter than .748" so I can get consistent neck expansion for boolit seating. Case lengths of .758" and .740" are not uncommon. WIN brass length in particular is all over the place. I do sort by head stamp, again just for consistency.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Master

Always stainless steel pin/water/citric acid/Dawn dish detergent clean all my brass and separate by head stamp including 9mm brass. However, I've never trimmed or measured for length any 9mm brass but do for all other handgun calibers. For a test I once sized, belled & trimmed to proper length a batch of .45 ACP brass & shot them in a Ruger P90 off sand bags & compared the group with non-trimmed brass with same load otherwise (cast boolits) and the results were telling. The trimmed group was significantly smaller than the non-trimmed group (again, shot off sandbags). I've done the same thing with new Midway and Starline brass in .357 & .45 Colt and found the same to the true. The more uniform the brass, the better the results. However, with 9mm I consider the caliber to be a short range proposition and do not trouble myself with anything more than headstamp segregation. Big Boomer
    Last edited by Big Boomer; 07-14-2023 at 01:27 PM. Reason: correction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast