Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Trying Powded Coating for the First Time

Trying Powded Coating for the First Time

For almost as long as I have been casting boolits I have been a Lube Size guy. Even made my own hollow lube sticks.

Been contemplating for some time, been reading the treads here.

I found Sherwin Williams Powdura TGIC Polyester Powder on a popular on-line auction site. Three colors arrived today, Red, Orange and White. Price is $6/Lb plus shipping. Also available in 5 pounds packages.

Coverage was good with and without the airsoft pellets. White was a little light on coverage, but it may have been some contamination in the bullet. I didn't boil that batch twice after running them through the sizer.

Bake temp is 375 for 15 minutes, I ran 20 minutes to get bullets up to temp.

The coating passed the smash test.

As for my thoughts on the whole process, all the sizing not saving me time on the bench. I sized the bullets before coating using a lyman 450. I removed the center of the sizing die and just pushed bullets through, one on top of the other, letting them drop in a container below.

I undersized 30 cal to .308, 38 cal to .357 and 44 cal to .429 figuring diameters would grow with coating.

Only one batch of 38s, had a light coating, grew to .359. All the rest need another run trough the sizer. .429 grew to .433

that is a really good price on powder paint. I think powder coating shines when you are doing a large batch of boolits like 9mm and other auto pistols. for my self it seems faster. i like lubing for my rifles though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...all the sizing not saving me time ...
    Go ahead and PC first, size afterwards (just once)

...boil that batch twice ...
    If you're casting your own (& as yet unsized), don't bother to boil.
    They'll be clean enough for good powder.

I highly recommend at least 30 minutes oven time
    Last edited by mehavey; 07-13-2023 at 05:42 AM.

Boolit Master
    I like sizing prior to PC for consistency. That way I know all the bullets are the same size going in. It also reduced the amount of pressure needed to size after PC (if needed). For my pistol bullets I will frequently not size after (as long as I undersize a bit prior to PC).

Bake time and temp should be according to the mfg. A little longer isn't a bad thing.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    For me, I always size after PCing. You end up with the same results, without the risks of the boolits getting contaminated , that PC doesn’t like.

As for sizing only once, Running the 450 as a pass through sizer meant that there would be 3 bullets inside the die at all times. I ran into a couple of wad cutters that were too fat and the force required (on the first sizing) was enough to bend, then break the top screw that links the 450's toggle and the handle.

30 minutes would give me more time to stack the next batch of bullets.

Is it possible to bake for too long?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF5316.JPG  
    Last edited by pete501; 07-13-2023 at 09:11 AM.

Boolit Master
    Yes and no. Depends on the temperature. Some of the powder mfgs have time/temperature curves for their powders and will say what is too long and/or too hot. Important if you are doing production where time is money. We have the added problem that some lead alloys will slump around 500F. Eastwood specified 450F until the PC was 'glossy' then 20min at 400F. I've run them 10 min longer and it didn't seem to hurt anything. Smoke says 20min at 400F. I usually run for 23min just to make sure the oven is at 400F for 20min (3 min to heat back up after opening the door). Set the timer on the oven and it will shut off for you

Boolit Master

As mentioned, ya dont need ta size first. You surely do not need to boil anything. Let alone twice. Just minimally handle tge bullets and clean cast will coat just fine.

Bake for 20 min ONCE BULLETS REACH 400° for min 20min. NOT JUST in oven set @ 400 for 20. I realize many makers list lower temps I have never ever had issue @ 400/20 but VERY often problems with less time and temp. Also do NOT trust dial get thermometer!

Also as suggested size, once, and get some push thru style far easier for PC then Star/RCBS/lyman.

I have posted my instructional videos in many such threads to help others.

Good luck

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

I only size first when I am using a gas check. I have found that checks are some times difficult to seat if applied after pc'ing. I also use a lyman 45 with the bottom screw removed and push the bullets through point first, but I turned top punches that are long enough to push the bullet all the way through so that they don't get stacked inside the die.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Cook time for most powders is irrevalent as long as minimum is attained. Temp is NOT. Once the PC cross-links, it's done but high temp will break the cross-link.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I started pc about 1 1/2 months ago. (NEWBY). Posted for help getting started. The members here on the forum came thru in record time. I bought what was recommended, and never looked back. So far, I have probably 800 or so boolits pc'd. All advice was put into my pc archives aka "noggin". So far, everything has went great. No bad coatings as of yet. As for heat temperature and duration, I turn the oven to 400°. I put the boolit tray on top of the oven to preheat. I get my boolits coated, and stand them on the boolit tray. After getting a batch stood up, I put them in the oven and turn the timer to 20 minutes. The boolits have come out perfect every time.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.