Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well that wasn't supposed to work

Well that wasn't supposed to work

Well that's wasn't supposed to work but cast bullets are weird so figured why not Found out my little H&R .22 hornet LOVES lower velocity cast bullets compared to jacketed.
    Common consensus is : .22 Hornet = slow twist barrel = need to use light bullets. Well the lee 55gr RF was the lightest cast bullet mold I have so of course that's primarily what I've been playing with . And so far it's been doing pretty good 1" and under at 50yd is just the norm rocking around the 1700fps mark. I've pushed these same cast bullets up to 2500fps with no leading but no real need for that on this . Honestly bought this little gun for a 50-75yd varminter. Wanted something with more punch then a .22lr but less power then a .223 so. Also loved the idea of having somthing small that didn't need a lot of powder or lead and I could reload for little to nothing.
    Anyhow once I got the lee worked out pretty well I had some MP .227 63gr HP's I had cast last night on the bench and I thought " well why not ? What's the worst that could happen ". And after talking to and studying guys who shoot cast bullets in competition (rifle especially.223 )it's become pretty obvious that cast bullets operate a bit different. Normally for a 63gr bullet to work well you'd need like a 1:8 twist but with cast most guys who are shooting tiny groups are used anywhere from 1:10-1:16. So the same load of 6.2gr of lil gun ( best cast powder I've found for MY hornet so far. Burns way cleaner then 4227 and H110) tweaked my CBTO so my bullet is just about to kiss the lands ( and I have to say it's a bit of a pain with when your deal with and H&R with and Ejector ) and well, it shouldn't work but it did ! Pretty happy to say the least lol ! The recovered MP bullets expanded pretty nicely ( alloy is close to about 90% clip on wheel weights with the rest being stick on WW. Air cooled after casting and PC instead of my usual double water quenching)
    Anyhow I love it when experiments work out like this
    P.S if y'all don't have one, do yourselfes a big favor and get some of the NOE expander plug kits makes the lee universal flare die look like a joke and just makes loading cast SOOO MUCH NICER !

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master

Twist required for stabilization is related to bullet length, not weight. for conventional cup amd core jacketed bullets we are all aware that a certain twist limits us to bullets at x weight or below. Cast bullets do not follow the form factor of jacketed bullets, (they are shorter for a given weight) and a certain twist will stabilize the heavier cast bullet but not a lighter (LONGER) jacketed bullet.

Great job by the way in wringing out the best from the hornet.

Boolit Grand Master

Howdy Wolfdog
    That all blesses my heart to read. Your smile tells the whole story !
    Your reason for a 22 Hornet reflects our own getting for one some years back. Our general hunting in normally well under 50 yards in river bottoms / thickets. Accuracy is far more important. A FN cast is all that is required for 15 - 40 pound critters we are going to thwap with our Hornets.
    We do shoot our 32-20's a bit more than the Hornets but there really is no reason as they both get the job done equally well. Shot placement is king !
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Super Moderator

Nice workup and writeup Wolfdog, thank you for sharing your tips & tricks. I shoot the Hornet in a 14" Contender for Silhouette. My favorite boolit thus far has been the RCBS 22-55-SP. I have some Lil' Gun, may have to give it a try in in my Hornet. My experience with it has been that it really heats barrels up in short order.

Boolit Master
    Awesome, very nice and a good write up too.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Enjoyed your write up and photos very much! Love it when something like that works out so well and I'll bet it's been a lot of fun along the way! That's a well deserved smile and a great target - look forward to hearing more and seeing more photos.

Boolit Master

Minute of chipmunk accuracy! Looks like you hit the winning combination!

Boolit Master

hey aint you supposed to be on a barg
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    I’ve been wanting to experiment with my NOE 22-55 clone in my H&R hornet, and now I have hope!!!

I’ll be loading some up in a few days…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Don't cha just love it when a plan comes together?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Twist required for stabilization is related to bullet length, not weight. for conventional cup amd core jacketed bullets we are all aware that a certain twist limits us to bullets at x weight or below. Cast bullets do not follow the form factor of jacketed bullets, (they are shorter for a given weight) and a certain twist will stabilize the heavier cast bullet but not a lighter (LONGER) jacketed bullet.

Spot on

This Berger Chart https://bergerbullets.com/informatio...erence-charts/ accurately lists the recommended minimum twist for their jacketed bullets. As stated, the twist required for shorter for weight cast bullets will be slower than normal jacketed bullets and even slower when compared to VLD's designs.

In the 5.56/.223 a 12 twist will generally handle jacketed non-VLD's bullets up to 62 grains. Serria recommends a 10 twist for the 22 Cal 69 grain MatchKings.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-12-2023 at 02:42 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Congrats! Looks like a cute little combo and shoots well too!

Thanks for sharing this.
    I’m using the 55 gr Lee Bator PC’d and sized .225” with Sages aluminum checks.
    From my 1-14” twist .218 Bee conversion, I’m getting groups like yours at 40 yards.
    I don’t have a chronograph, but I’m guessing 1600-1700 fps with 4.6 grs of Unique and CCI SPM primers.
    Your bullets are very nice looking compared to mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Good Post !
    LIKE! LIKE! LIKE!

Shooting Cast Boolits is like a box of chocolates ... you just don't know what you gonna get ... till you try one !

Enjoyed the post WolfDog ... Keep On Keeping On !

I've been thinking / wanting a H&R or NEF single shot rifle for years ... but I can't decide on which caliber and a "deal I can't refuse" hasn't come along yet ... Rifle cal , handgun cal , large bore , small bore ...
    there are just too many to choose from !
    Is 22 cal large enough ... is 45 cal too big ... Oh Me , Oh My , what's a boolit caster to do
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 07-12-2023 at 10:38 AM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post

Consequently the two, weight and length, are tied together. A heavier bullet is going to be longer or in reverse a longer bullet is going to be heavier. There are exceptions such as if you're using a very heavir material for the bullet such as depleted Uranium. Also you can shorten a heavy bullet by making it a semi-point. The Sierra 64 grain semi-point is an example of that. Copper solids also change things.

Banned
    Wolfdog91 that was a good post and with nice pictures. I've been doing this for decades and back when I was doing nobody wanted to believe it. I've shot up to 72 grain cast bullets in my 22 Hornet with very good accuracy at 50 yards. Everyone would have to admit that with that weight bullet that does equal the lengths of jacketed bullets. Yes my Hornet is a 16 twist. I've also shot 150 grain cast bullet from my M1 Carbine.

A test I did with my 260 Remington with a 10 twist was to keep loading DOWN a 6.5 CruiseMissile bullet which I believe weights around 172 grains. I wanted to see where it would become destablizied. We know that the 6.5 cartridges generally have fast twist like 7.5 in the 6.5x55 Swede so I was surprised my 10 twist 260 worked any at all. Well anyhow I had to get the velocity down to 1350 fps before the bullet went sideways in the target. I had the target relatively close. That way I would know it was twist not the distance that caused it.

There are too many twist guru's on this forum that would lead you to believe different.

Again great shoot and have fun with it.

Boolit Man
    I have a Ruger #3 22 Hornet that is my favorite "Fun Gun", but I have never tried any bullets above 50 grain. I have some Lil' Gun and a NOE 60 Grain mould that may have to be my next experiment!! Thanks for your write up!

Your description of shooting that Hornet rifle almost makes me want to give up my obsession with 30 cal pistols. A single shot is all you need if you are a good enough shot yourself.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

I like the way your thinking outside the box put your shots inside the (target) box. Good job!
    God Bless, Whisler