RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Stock duplicator

Boolit Grand Master

Stock duplicator

Can anybody advise on a reasonable vendor for stock duplication? My buddy needs to replace a shotgun rear stock that is severely cracked and split. The old stock is adequate for the use in a duplicator, and of course, money is an object.

Have you tried Boyd's Gunstocks? There's also the possibility that a good used one can be purchased from Numrich Gun Parts Corp. or Bob's Gunshop.

DG

Boolit Master
    What kind of shotgun does he have.
    Someone may have a spare stock.
    I did have several that I sent to someone on this forum.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks. I'll call around

LAGS ~ It's an unmarked, 20 ga., Stevens 311 (I think). There are no markings on it at all, save proof marks. It has the appearance of a 311. The forearm metals are the same as a 311. The major difference is that the tang is shorter than a comparable 311. Doing my research, I've found that Fagen used to sell these type of stocks and they would ask for measurements, vis-a-vis, the tang on the 311's. My thoughts (dangerous, I know) are that this example is of an early 311, made for the whoever hardware store, and that later versions had a change in the length of the tang.

That makes good sense to me because with this short tang, the movement of opening the action places a great stress on the wrist and, in as much as it's unsupported, the wood splits. That's what wrong with this thing. The longer tang strengthens that area of the stock.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Boolit Master
    Have you tried to contact Richards Microfit Stocks.
    From what I heard.
    They can customize stocks for different models of guns that have slight differences.
    I googled the Stevens 311.
    It seems like several companies list stocks for both models and make a reference about the JC Higgins model.
    That might be what you have
    Last edited by LAGS; 07-11-2023 at 09:43 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    There's 2 different 311 Model butt stock types.
    Type I
    Upper Tang is 3 1/8" long
    Tapers from 5/8" at the frame to 1/2" wide at the end.
    The front edge of the stock and frame on the sides meet on a straight line edge.

Type II
    Upper Tang is 3 1/4" long (Note difference in length to Type I)
    It tapers the same as the Type I at 5/8" at the frame to 1/2" wide at the back end
    The most noticable and easy way to tell the difference is that the Type II stock where it meets the Frame on the sides
    is a Rebated Frame contour . So the Stock wood extends forward into the Rebates cut into the sides of the frame flats.

The Model 311 is a standard Hammer powered action. 2 Hammers powered each by it's own coil main spring.

Another Stevens SxS shotgun you may have the Model 315. Looks a lot like the 311 action.
    Different from the 311 and pre-dates it.
    The Model 315 is STRIKER fired using coil springs. No hammers inside, just straight line striker firing pins powered by coil spings.
    As I assume you have the damaged stock off of the frame, you should be able to easily
    ID which of the two diff models you have.

About all I can recall. They can be a confusing bunch to sort out! Being made and labeled under many different House brand names over the years and with minor changes sometimes as well.

Boolit Grand Master
    Great. Sending this info to the gun owner.

Boolit Grand Master
    With all your help, a new stock is on its way from Numrich. Thanks again.

Boolit Master
    Please keep us posted when it arrives and when it is done.
    I hope it turns out great.

Boolit Grand Master
    Will do, LAGS. I hope it fits. Minor adjustments I can do readily. We took this shotgun on a pheasant hunt and I was afraid the stock was going to come apart in his hands. It's that bad. A new one for $108 is just the ticket.

Boolit Master
    Damaged stocks can be repaired too.
    You might try a repair on that old stock once you get the new one.
    It gives you something to practice your skills on and maybe give him a back up stock.