Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lee Auto Bench Prime--worth the money?

Lee Auto Bench Prime--worth the money?

I have a really old RCBS Rock Chucker, and I don't think there are any provisions for installing a priming device on it. It was never an issue up until now (I had bought a bunch of once fired, primed brass).

I am hoping to reload for my .38. Just ordered dies for the RCBS and a shell holder. But that doesn't solve the priming issue. I have been using a Lee Loader. Unfortunately I've been getting some mis fires, and I'm afraid it's a primer seating issue. It just makes me nervous--banging the primers in with a hammer like that.

Does anyone have a review of a Lee Auto Bench primer? And some reference as to what the right shell holder would be (for .38).
    Thanks for the info.
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!

Boolit Master

I have one and use it often. As long as I lift the lever up to let a primer fall in place over the priming punch I don't have any problems with it. It has excellent "feel" and the perfect amount of leverage. The proper shellholder for .38 spl. is #1. As it's made by Lee precision the mere mention of it is likely to start an argument. A good many people will come down in favor of the RCBS bench primer - I have one of those too and it's an excellent tool. I have the Forster bench priming tool and it's a good one too. Each has it's own little quirks. When it first came out there were a few threads about it and I think all of them turned into an argument over whether Lee equipment is junk or not.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

I can’t imagine a RCBS press without the ability to accept the standard priming arms.
    My Rockchucker also has a place up top for a primer device that accepts tubes like the bench primers.
    I haven’t used the Lee bench tool.
    I use the standard arms on the press or the Lee Ram Prime for small batches of reloads.
    I had the RCBS rocking bench priming tool, but in my opinion the Lee Auto Prime (and the later RCBS hand primer) made it obsolete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I use and have used them all, I like lee.....

Boolit Master
    Have never used the Lee, started with the RCBS and never saw a need to change.

FOR 38SPCL you want shellholder #6 (see https://www.rcbs.com/rcbs-how-to-rel...ce-tables.html)

Boolit Master

mac60 nailed it in post #2. I have no doubt my Auto Bench has seated over 50,000 primers. The triangular tray isn’t perfect, it feeds best if you don’t put 100 primers in at once. I’ve had to replace both the LP and SP feed gizmos, but Lee warranted them. The cast frame on my also cracked where the shell holder sits, again it was replaced for free.
    I got it on sale for <$25.00, and ten shell holders in a kit for $13.00 shipped. Lee’s customer service has been great all along. Follow mac60’s advice about fully raising the lever.
    I’m sure there are better units out there but I’m more than happy with mine.

Boolit Master
    I've always used the Lee hand primers that you have to press with your thumb. I've worn out several. As I get older I don't want to stress my thumbs like that. So I looked at the Lee bench primer and saw some bad reviews. So now I have an order in for an RCBS hand primer that you activate with your whole grip, not just your thumb. My friend has one and he likes it.

Boolit Master
    Sincere apologies, you wanted the shell holder for the lee bench primer, that’d be #1.
    https://leeprecision.com/priming-tool-shell-holders

It was probably the 2nd Lee product I bought, I like it. I have since got the new Deluxe APP, that thing is a priming machine once it's dialed in.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

It's worth what you pay for it. It's not perfect.

A ram prime is totally reliable. Either RCBS or Lee.

Boolit Master
    If you have a Rockchucker and the primer arm has been removed, you can get the replacement parts from RCBS. I've been using hand priming tools from both RCBS and Lyman. Though I've reloaded many thousands of rounds of ammo with the standard priming equipment that comes with a Rockchucker, the thing that I don't like about it is that the primer feed tubes stick out from the front of the press. Though they work OK, I've always felt uncomfortable about snagging or bumping into those primer feed tubes. It's probably a non-issue, but it just gives me an uneasy feeling that I might accidentally bend a metal tube that's filled with explosives. Then again, they've sold tens of thousands of them and I've never heard about an accident. Just the same, I'll probably end up getting a bench mount priming tool.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    It was probably the 2nd Lee product I bought, I like it. I have since got the new Deluxe APP, that thing is a priming machine once it's dialed in.
    I have one too. You're right, once you get the bugs worked out you can run through 'em pretty quick.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Grand Master

I had one and it worked for about 2 bricks before I broke it. Not a defect, I broke it. I mounted mine on my bench and was reaching the shelf above when a can fell off and landed on the shell holder slot and broke it off. I coulda/shoulda either sent it back to Lee or bought parts, but on a whim bought an RCBS. Don't care for the RCBS Bench prime (need another thread to explain my disappointment!) and I don't use it as much as I did my Lee...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Have the lee bench prime & think it's a worthwhile purchase. The triangle primer tray is far from perfect but does have a stop that was missing from the round version and believe that the new version will allow dumping the large federal primer package which the round tray wouldn't. I use mine a lot and have worn out more than one of the clear primer feed gizmos I just order one whenever I order other parts.
    Before you break into my house stand outside and get right with Jesus tell him you're on your way!!

Boolit Master
    I also use the Lee bench prime and I like it.
    Ya just have to pay attention to each stroke.
    Very easy on my hands.

Boolit Master
    Just got the RCBS and like it a lot. Got it to replace a Lee hand primer that was hurting my thumbs. It's not that much more than a Lee. It's built like a tank.

Another RCBS bench priming tool fan here !

Boolit Buddy
    Starting using mine several years ago and really like it. Easy on the hands. Already had the hand primer which uses the same shell holders. But since I bought the Lee Classic turret press, most of my priming will be done on that.

Boolit Master
    RCBS make a bench priming tool that uses a magazine tube and seats using a long handle.
    It also uses the same shell holder for the caliber being primed.
    Plenty of used ones around and they never wear out if you can't find a new one.
    About. $90 new.
    I have seen used ones for $30 and bought a couple for my brothers.
    Good luck and keep looking.
    Used stuff pops up all the time.
    I would pay close to new price for the convenience.