Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Smith Wesson Hand Ejector ID

Boolit Master

Smith Wesson Hand Ejector ID

Ok - I have come into possession of this revolver.

Attachment 315808Attachment 315809Attachment 315810

This may alarm some of you - but I did fire it today. It is chambered in .32-20 and the load was starline brass, Lee tl314-90-swc over 3.1 gr. titegroup with a federal 205m primer. I was really surprised at how well it shot. I have identified the following issues. The ejector rod knob is missing, the grips are broken, there is a little bit of endshake, the bore has light scattered pitting and the finish needs some help. I have some replacement grips on the way and plan to boil it and card it and see if I can make it look a little better, do something about the endshake and see about an ejector rod knob. It has a 4 digit s/n (just over 4,000). I think it is a first model hand ejector (model of 1896??). Could any of you gentlemen shed any light on exactly what I have here, I'd also be interested in opinions on the advisability of shooting this thing.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Grand Master
    That is a 1st Model Hand ejector: the absence of the barrel underlug cylinder latch as well as the serial number confirms that. According to Supica and Nahas, there were 5,311 made between 1899-1902.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Very nice, congratulations!
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Master

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. rintinglen - what is the name of that book? Is it the "standard catalog of Smith & Wesson? I saw it on sale somewhere but it was a little too expensive for me - at any rate thanks for the info. I gave $200.00 for the gun, so even if it ends up hanging on the wall I think I came out alright!

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

Boolit Master
    glad that you shot it. guns are made to shoot; and, not to show your friends and say look what i have.

Boolit Grand Master
    Standard Catalog it is! I have the older 3rd edition, which misses some of the newer stuff, but it is invaluable for identifying older S&W's
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    glad that you shot it. guns are made to shoot; and, not to show your friends and say look what i have.
    Oh yeah. I agree. The minute I picked it up I said to myself - damn I can't wait to shoot this one.

Yours is very similar to mine. According to Roy Jinks mine shipped from the S&W factory in 1902.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pix119271226.jpg   pix177038264.jpg  

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tall View Post
    Yours is very similar to mine. According to Roy Jinks mine shipped from the S&W factory in 1902.
    Man I wish mine was in that kind of shape. Very nice. The cool factor is high (for me). What do they charge for a factory letter?

Boolit Grand Master
    I would have guessed that the ejector rod nut should have been one of the mushroom shaped ones, but Tall's picture shows a fairly straight version.

The Model 1896 hand ejector is the I frame, or what evolved into the I frame. .32 S&W Long and .38 S&W. Yours is the K frame (Model of 1899???) for the .32-20 and .38 S&W Special. As far as I know, anyway.

Nice to see old guns actually being used.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    Man I wish mine was in that kind of shape. Very nice. The cool factor is high (for me). What do they charge for a factory letter?
    I think it's $100 after you join SWHF. If you are not a member its $150 I think. More info: https://swhistoricalfoundation.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I would have guessed that the ejector rod nut should have been one of the mushroom shaped ones, but Tall's picture shows a fairly straight version.

The Model 1896 hand ejector is the I frame, or what evolved into the I frame. .32 S&W Long and .38 S&W. Yours is the K frame (Model of 1899???) for the .32-20 and .38 S&W Special. As far as I know, anyway.

Robert
    No I was informed that the knob you see on mine is the original one and referred to by collectors as the "barrel" shaped ejector knob. And yes it is the Model of 1899.

Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    So, as a member of SWHF I can ask Roy Jinks once every two weeks for a ship date on my S&W revolver for free. I did that. It's a lot cheaper than letters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post

Robert
    Mine has the mushroom shaped rod nut and checkered walnut grips -- Nickel 32-20 IIRC mine is late teens early 1920's..... based off of the SN mine is mfg'd a yr or two after they started to heat treat the cylinders.

Mac, that old gun looks pretty good for a 125 yr old. We should look as good at 125! Is that the original finish? It's worth what it's worth to you but if you refinish it it can look worse as easily as it can look better. I've got a Hand Ejector 32-20 from a later date with some light pitting and, like you, I was surprised at how well it shoots. Mine has some freckling on the nickel but it's honest wear. You have done very well brother, especially at that price.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Mac, that old gun looks pretty good for a 125 yr old. We should look as good at 125! Is that the original finish? It's worth what it's worth to you but if you refinish it it can look worse as easily as it can look better. I've got a Hand Ejector 32-20 from a later date with some light pitting and, like you, I was surprised at how well it shoots. Mine has some freckling on the nickel but it's honest wear. You have done very well brother, especially at that price.
    That is the original finish. The thought was not to refinish it - just to rehab what's there. I'm having trouble locating an ejector rod knob.