Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Powder magazines and primer containers

Boolit Master

Powder magazines and primer containers

I can imagine that there are a great many different ideas, as to what is the proper or best safe storage containers for ones powder and primers. Better late than never eh? I purchased a used mini refrigerator yesterday for my powder. Probably around 3.5 or 4 cubic feet. My theory being, it has a factory seal, is insulated to prevent drastic temperature swings, and if a fire were to break out, the door would push open to where the pressure would relieve itself and have a minimal if any explosion.
    As for the primers, I'm buying 4 plastic 50 cal Plano ammo boxes for separating the different sizes, and not having all primers stored in one area. The ammo boxes would be separated a few feet apart, as to not have the chain reaction effect if a fire were to break out. Powder and primers would be stored in the garage. Also, can anyone reccomend a good moisture obsorbent product to put into the mini fridge and the ammo boxes. I would be very interested in hearing what all ya'll use for your storage of powder and primers.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    Powder comes in plastic bottles, no need to worry too much about humidity. That said, those little fridges always seem to be little sweat boxes. I’d build a wood box from 2 layers on 3/4 plywood, make it so the lid lifts off to access the contents and call it a day.

Humidity doesn’t bother primers either, but it can cause the cardboard boxes to deteriorate and that’s no good. I just leave them in a file cabinet in a conditioned space, but if I didn’t have that I’d use ammo cans (maybe plastic) with a dessicant.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    I use metal GI ammo cans to store my primers: sealed against humidity and if the primers should ever get pissed off, the can will help contain the conflagration.
    I keep my powder in a normal-size upright freezer. In 35 years, it has yet to show moisture signs.
    Last edited by Minerat; 07-10-2023 at 10:16 AM. Reason: bypass
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Banned
    I shoot all my stuff, I don't want it getting stale like a loaf of bread!

Boolit Master

ditto gi cans and frigs. Desicant can be had from hobby shops or sewing shops, dried flower kind of places. brides to be type shops. You can buy lots for reasonable cost. Or try gunbroker or similar - do a web search...

Boolit Master
    Powder in original containers on a shelf in a closet, that is cool and dry. Primers in plastic ammo boxes well away from the powder. Ammo in a locked cabinet neither near the powder nor the primers, and guns locked in yet another cabinet.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

Why not install a golden rod in the back corn of the refrigerator.
    We had a dorm size fridge for welding rods at the farm it had a 60 watt light bulb burning in it, Rods were warm and dry

Boolit Grand Master
    Most municipalities have regulations wrt how much powder and primers you can store in a building. I far exceed those limits and store most of my stuff in an out building. Your insurance company may not cover you if you exceed regulations.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Usually Municipal ordinances and Insurance policies will cite NFPA chapter 14

https://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/Ab...IResponses.pdf
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Usually Municipal ordinances and Insurance policies will cite NFPA chapter 14

https://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/Ab...IResponses.pdf
    And it’s pretty specific.

An old file cabinet, unlocked.

Boolit Master

My main reason for the storage containers, is to get most of the powder and primers out of the house. Been storing them in my house in the reloading room for decades. Now that my inventory is mounting up, I feel much better storing what's not being used, in the garage. I can't see where a refrigerator would/could be a sweat box problem unless the powder was kept in a cold fridge and taken out into a 70° environment. Then, there may be a condensation issue. I will not be turning the refrigerator on. Been reading about the ability of a fridge to be fire resistant. Looks as though, if the outside material is metal "including the back panel" they will hold up fairly well. The primers will be separated by size, and kept in the ammo boxes and placed in different areas in the garage, a distance away from each other.Thank you for all the information and ideas. I think I'm on the right track.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Dessicant... I buy mine from Aircraft Spruce $ Specialty. Comes in about a quart-size container. Once it changes color, I spread it on a cookie sheet and bake it to dry it out. Instructions are on the label.

Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    ditto gi cans and frigs. Desicant can be had from hobby shops or sewing shops, dried flower kind of places. brides to be type shops. You can buy lots for reasonable cost. Or try gunbroker or similar - do a web search...
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.