Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock and cast

Glock and cast

I have a buddy with a Glock 10mm (whatever that model number is), that wants some "bear loads". After a long discussion that a 10mm IS NOT a bear round, I agreed to load some for him.
    I remember reading that Glocks shouldn't shoot cast. Is this due to the polygonal rifling?? Will PC or other coatings make it acceptable??

I don't want to get into a bear gun discussion here. We live in one of the 3 lower 48 states that has a grizzly problem. If we were in one of the other 45 states that only had black bears, maybe I could be convinced that a 10mm is enough.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwing View Post
    I have a buddy with a Glock 10mm (whatever that model number is), that wants some "bear loads". After a long discussion that a 10mm IS NOT a bear round, I agreed to load some for him.
    I remember reading that Glocks shouldn't shoot cast. Is this due to the polygonal rifling?? Will PC or other coatings make it acceptable??

I don't want to get into a bear gun discussion here. We live in one of the 3 lower 48 states that has a grizzly problem. If we were in one of the other 45 states that only had black bears, maybe I could be convinced that a 10mm is enough.
    Razor Dobbs killed two Cape Buffaloes with a 10mm 1911 using hard cast bullets. I think it would get a bears attention for sure.

Moderator Emeritus

Glock, like most all gun manufacturers say not to shoot reloads in their guns.
    I'm not sure why the Glock myth carries over, but doesn't for other guns?
    I've loaded a bunch of 40 cal for a Magnum Research baby eagle with polygonal rifling, once I got the correct size bullet and correct size brass expander, I never had problems.

Use the same 'rules' to loading cast for Glocks, as you would loading cast for other semi-auto pistols and you will be fine, or ummm, your buddy will be fine.

Side Note:
    I had a friend want to load a 220gr bullet in the 10mm just for the purpose your buddy states. He bought some commercial bullets and asked my opinion on loads. I couldn't find any published loads. I explained how to work up a load and suggested AA#5 due to it's density. He got nervous and asked me to load some and work up a load for him. I told him no. He found someone else to load 'em for him...I haven't been told yet, how that worked out.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Glock, like most all gun manufacturers say not to shoot reloads in their guns.
    I'm not sure why the Glock myth carries over, but doesn't for other guns?
    I've loaded a bunch of 40 cal for a Magnum Research baby eagle with polygonal rifling, once I got the correct size bullet and correct size brass expander, I never had problems.

Use the same 'rules' to loading cast for Glocks, as you would loading cast for other semi-auto pistols and you will be fine, or ummm, your buddy will be fine.

Side Note:
    I had a friend want to load a 220gr bullet in the 10mm just for the purpose your buddy states. He bought some commercial bullets and asked my opinion on loads. I couldn't find any published loads. I explained how to work up a load and suggested AA#5 due to it's density. He got nervous and asked me to load some and work up a load for him. I told him no. He found someone else to load 'em for him...I haven't been told yet, how that worked out.
    Jon I'm going to send you a pm on what the story is on Glock nothing wanting us to shoot cast.

Glock's Polygonal Rifling is at the base of the don't-use-cast mantra,
    But read this article before taking that as Gospell
    https://www.targetbarn.com/broad-sid...gonal-rifling/

Note that Powder-Coating changed the game all-round.
    (...and personally I'm shooting 147gr PC'd* for spotless bores/no issues)

*Cast Lym#2/Eastwood Red Flame/Translucent that I both cast/apply
    myself so I know what I've got.

Last edited by mehavey; 07-09-2023 at 02:47 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I’ve shot thousands of rounds of .40 cal in a Glock pistol, all reloads using cast and powder coated bullets with no issues.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    Glock's Polygonal Rifling is at the base of the don't-use-cast mantra,
    But read this article before taking that as Gospell
    https://www.targetbarn.com/broad-sid...gonal-rifling/

Note that Powder-Coating changed the game all-round.

*Cast Lym#2/Eastwood Red Flame/Translucent that I both cast/apply
    myself so I know what I've got.

Yeah well that link you gave is purely BS and wrong. When they said with conventional rifling if the barrel leads it's easy to clean it out. Again, yeah well that depends on the severity of the leading. They are telling you that cast bullets are lubed and shouldn't be leaving any leading if they are properly assembled with means a whole lot of things such as bullet alloy, diameter of the bullet, velocity range, the type of lube used, etc. Just another internet myth. It simply boils down to liability lawsuits and Glock doesn't want any. I've only seen one manual for a firearm that listed that you could shoot ANY kind of ammo through it and that was my manual for the Springfield National Match M1 A.

Yeah well that link you gave is purely BS and wrong.
    What part of ...
    But read this article before taking that as Gospel
    ... was unclear ?

But certainly an interesting reaction... I admit... given the bottom line:

Y`all take care now, Heaah ?

postscript: Possibly I'm just lucky, but in over 50 years of casting, I've only had two instances of leading -- both my fault -- and both easily resolved with Chore-Boy on a brass brush

Of note from the NRA:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...glock-barrels/
    The reasons polygonal barrels and lead bullets don’t work well together stem from the sizing and hardness of the bullets, as well as the manner in which polygonal barrels impart spin on the bullet to ensure stability and accuracy.

For lead bullets to work satisfactorily in a polygonal barrel, they have to be on the higher end of the hardness scale and loaded to moderate pressures. There is a fairly fine line between success and failure in this arena.

Unlike conventionally rifled barrels with lands and grooves that engrave their twist pattern into the bullet, polygonal rifling is relatively smooth and imparts its spin to the bullet by swaging its twist pattern onto the projectile. This leaves less of a mark than conventional rifling and minimizes deformation to the exterior of the bullet. All but the hardest and properly sized lead bullets tend to skid on polygonal rifling, leaving unwanted deposits that build up over a relatively small number of shots

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ya kinda gotta know what you're doing/what you're dealing with in that kind of potential situation.
    If you do, and actually build to it, little problem.
    But if not....

(and what % of run-of-the mill "Glock owners" are Cast Boolits readers ...do you think ?)

Banned
    Of note from the NRA:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...glock-barrels/
    The reasons polygonal barrels and lead bullets don’t work well together stem from the sizing and hardness of the bullets, as well as the manner in which polygonal barrels impart spin on the bullet to ensure stability and accuracy.

For lead bullets to work satisfactorily in a polygonal barrel, they have to be on the higher end of the hardness scale and loaded to moderate pressures. There is a fairly fine line between success and failure in this arena.

Unlike conventionally rifled barrels with lands and grooves that engrave their twist pattern into the bullet, polygonal rifling is relatively smooth and imparts its spin to the bullet by swaging its twist pattern onto the projectile. This leaves less of a mark than conventional rifling and minimizes deformation to the exterior of the bullet. All but the hardest and properly sized lead bullets tend to skid on polygonal rifling, leaving unwanted deposits that build up over a relatively small number of shots

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ya kinda gotta know what you're doing/what you're dealing with in that kind of potential situation.
    If you do, and actually build to it, little problem.
    But if not....

(and what % of run-of-the mill "Glock owners" are Cast Boolits readers ...do you think ?)
    I must know what I'm doing LOL. I've shot soft to hard cast bullets from both of those strange riflings with zero leading and zero problems. One of them is an HK UMP, boy is that sucker accurate!!

...LOL....
    Mr, TD1886, we're done.
    Others, do as you deem appropriate.

Banned

I have a Glock 22 and an H&K UMP in 45 ACP and have shot cast out of both. I inspect and clean as necessary. Not too often though actually.

Banned
    Mr, TD1886, we're done.
    Others, do as you deem appropriate.
    Mr mehavey, well at least you called me mister. Hey no hard feelings. I have an inside the industry reason why Glock did what they did about shooting cast. I'm not at liberty to post it on a public forum.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    I have a Glock 22 and an H&K UMP in 45 ACP and have shot cast out of both. I inspect and clean as necessary. Not too often though actually.
    I agree with you, it's to the point now I hardly ever check. Although not any funny rifling I have Thompson and the dang thing is minute of beer can easy. Lot's of fun, but heavy and lousy trigger.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    I agree with you, it's to the point now I hardly ever check. Although not any funny rifling I have Thompson and the dang thing is minute of beer can easy. Lot's of fun, but heavy and lousy trigger.
    The blow ups with cast were when people leaded the barrels so badly that they caused an increase in pressure. That's just strange.

Boolit Master
    right after I bought a Glock I bought a couple storm lake barrels to go with it because I knew that I may never fire a jacketed bullet though it. storm lake is gone now but KKm, lone wolf, bar sto, brownells and others still make drop in barrels for Glocks most will probably give you better accuracy than a stock Glock barrel

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    The blow ups with cast were when people leaded the barrels so badly that they caused an increase in pressure. That's just strange.
    That's a so so explanation, but not the real cause.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    right after I bought a Glock I bought a couple storm lake barrels to go with it because I knew that I may never fire a jacketed bullet though it. storm lake is gone now but KKm, lone wolf, bar sto, brownells and others still make drop in barrels for Glocks most will probably give you better accuracy than a stock Glock barrel
    I have a Lone Wolf 10mm on my long slide clone Glock upper. Don't count on Glock barrels aren't accurate. I have Glock 21 45acp that hold it's own in 1911 matches. I built a Glock 17 that's pretty darn accurate with cast too! That one has a match trigger on it from Double Diamond. I believe if the NYC police department that half of them would shoot themselves, the trigger is very light.

My Glock 20, stock, shoots 10mm cast powder coated boolits.

Banned

bought a wolf barrel for my glock 20 and sold it because the factory barrel shot better. ive got 13 glocks and they all shoot cast. only jacked is for carry ammo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast