WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats your favorite...

Boolit Master

Whats your favorite...

RELOADING PRESS!!

We all have them. I venture most are like me and have had many.

I have always like the Rock Chucker and I admit that I have swayed and later returned a few times.

I also still own my very first reloading press. It was My fathers Spartan and I also have a representative "copy" of the first press that I learned upon.( The Lyman JR).
    I have about a dozen under the benches and like atributes of all of them.
    I have a good friend who has suggested (a few times) that I should sell off all those presses not using, that are under the bench and buy a Area 419. (1300$ retail!!!) This is because he views it as the best. Maybe because its so expensive? I dont know, I have considered it, but know big $$ do not ensure the best, and just as buying a "new" part doesn't always correct a problem. Does it produce better ammunition?

But... I do have a desire for the MEC Marksman. This press impresses me.

I have wanted a T-Mag for years. I settled for a Lyman American 8 and since rebuild I do really like it. Its on a bench and in use now.
    I have had a Foster Co-axe back before they had a universal case holder. I liked it but...
    I have had a Redding big Boss. I didnt like those flat rails they inhibited hand seating bullets and like.
    I have a Frankfort M Press that I like (since re build) Its in use now.
    I also have a RCBS Summitt thats a beast. (But I did break it!) Its a nice compact press.
    I also have a RCBS Ammo Master, that I plum wore out! FIRST time RCBS hasn't stepped up to repair...
    (Did I mention, I really want a MEC)!

SO, Id like to know your opinions.

What is your favorite.

What is one you would like to try?

What are you currently using?

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

My big , bench mounted press is an old Pacific Super Deluxe , single station "C" , blue in color and older than dirt but I like it . Compound linkage that can be set to size on the upstroke or the downstroke ... I really like this feature .
    This baby will resize 303 British brass that has been fired in aircraft machine guns ... let me tell you them machine gun chambers are generous and take some resizing , I had to resort to STP Oil Treatment for case lube to get the job done !

My most used press , lately , has been the Lee Hand Press !
    Sitting inside the a/c house and reloading lots of handgun ammo right here at computer desk . It's so dang hot outside and my reloading bench is in a outbuilding that has no heat or a/c or even screens to keep out the mosquitoes that come out when / if dusk brings any cool ... this is Louisiana , the home of heat , humidity and blood sucking bugs ... "where's the Flit Gun" should be our state motto !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Call me dull and uninteresting, but to me reloading presses are like automobiles. They get you where you need or want to be. While there may be bells and whistles, the purpose remains the same, to turn out quality reloaded ammunition. I've always purchased my reloading equipment to meet a need in a price range. Started with a used Lyman Spartan that became dedicated to .38 special. Next, two Rockchuckers that were on sale with die sets for all my rifle ammo. Lastly, a Lee Turret press which became dedicated to .45 Auto. That covers all my needs, as I do not shoot in quantities justifying a Dillon.

DG

I'm an RCBS man. Mostly because they gave my mother with a job when she most needed one and she retired after 30 years. I started with a partner and now have 2 Rockchuckers, on the bench, one with piggyback 1, the other for rifle, single stage. The Partner is used for boolit resizing now.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

non progressive only - in six decades i have owned 4, three different Lee's + RCBS jr. - lee's are all long gone ! - RCBS never failed me in any way - load 9 different rifle + pistol calibers, 50 to 200 rounds per session -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy
    My favorite presses the one Im using at that time. Rock Chucker I bought used, Dillon 550B bought new RCBS partner and a Lee Challenger last 2 are mounted on blocks of oak so I can loan them out for friends who are thinking about getting into reloading.

Boolit Master

I have several set up for different tasks. RCBS RC and Rebel, Pacific 007, Lyman Orange Crush, Texan Cobra, and a Lyman Spar-T. I don't know that I have favorite.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    Currently running two RockChuckers and two Hornady LNL progressives.
    One Rock Chucker for test rounds and small batches of handgun ammunition. The other Rock Chucker is used for rifle cartridges and some low volume Ruger only type handgun loadings
    One Hornady is used for high volume small primer reloading, the other for high volume large primer reloading.
    I sold both of my Dillon 550s because I like the Hornady presses more.

Boolit Master
    I have used a RCBS JR. for more years than I have left but my “darling” presently is a Redding Boss but it’s soon to be tied up in some J-Word swagging so we will see!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    Star and Rockchucker
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Grand Master
    My first was a Co-Ax and it will be my last.

For pistol calibers, the Dillon 1050.

For 12 ga target loads the Ponsness Warren 800+ with Autodrive and a PW 375 for hunting loads.
    Don Verna

Of the handful I've tried, it's between the RockChucker, followed by the old model Lee Challenger that sets at an angle. I have the Lee currently, and haven't compared them side by side. I like the angle though. For just cranking out normal ammo, not strength, the Lee does well.

Boolit Master

I started out using Lee Loaders before I could afford a press. Dad and Mom bought me a C&H 333 in 1964 and I used that until 1979. I had started shooting competition in Combat Pistol Matches and I need to load more in voulume with little time to do it. So I bought a Dillon 450 and started loading my 38 Spec. and .45 acp with it. Got talked into buying a Dillon 550 and used it for several years and then got out of competition, so it was no longer needed and I sold both it and the 450. I bought a RCBS RCII in 1994 when I retired and later a Lyman All American (the old one) used and that is what I am using now for pistols and the RCBS RC for rifles. Don't needd anything else as I have everything covered. james

Boolit Master

I've used a Rockchucker for almost 50yrs.
    Have had a Spar-T and still have a Spartan. I keep that old Spartan because it reminds Me so much of the Lyman Comet that I grew up on. The Hornady L-N-L I've used since they came out. The Hornady single stage recently came out from under the bench, I like the angled opening. The RCBS Piggyback-2 is still racked behind the Rockchucker. Used for .32 cal only.
    That Rockchucker has sat bolted to the same spot on My bench for 39yrs, never been removed. So I guess it's nuts & bolts are rusted enough to stay bolted to My bench after I've passed.
    But I wouldn't pass on the gift of a Redding T-7 if it should come My way.

dillon passed through unhappily.

Shotgun will be spoken of later.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

My "precision" press is a RCBS Big Max, but the vast amount of loading is done on Dillon 450 and three 550's
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master
    I still use a Lyman Spartan for push through bullet sizers and case prep with M dies, my main press is a Lee classic cast turret.

ukrifleman

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    RELOADING PRESS!!

We all have them. I venture most are like me and have had many.

I have always like the Rock Chucker and I admit that I have swayed and later returned a few times.

I also still own my very first reloading press. It was My fathers Spartan and I also have a representative "copy" of the first press that I learned upon.( The Lyman JR).
    I have about a dozen under the benches and like atributes of all of them.
    I have a good friend who has suggested (a few times) that I should sell off all those presses not using, that are under the bench and buy a Area 419. (1300$ retail!!!) This is because he views it as the best. Maybe because its so expensive? I dont know, I have considered it, but know big $$ do not ensure the best, and just as buying a "new" part doesn't always correct a problem. Does it produce better ammunition?

But... I do have a desire for the MEC Marksman. This press impresses me.

I have wanted a T-Mag for years. I settled for a Lyman American 8 and since rebuild I do really like it. Its on a bench and in use now.
    I have had a Foster Co-axe back before they had a universal case holder. I liked it but...
    I have had a Redding big Boss. I didnt like those flat rails they inhibited hand seating bullets and like.
    I have a Frankfort M Press that I like (since re build) Its in use now.
    I also have a RCBS Summitt thats a beast. (But I did break it!) Its a nice compact press.
    I also have a RCBS Ammo Master, that I plum wore out! FIRST time RCBS hasn't stepped up to repair...
    (Did I mention, I really want a MEC)!

SO, Id like to know your opinions.

What is your favorite.

What is one you would like to try?

What are you currently using?

CW
    Without a doubt my favourite is the MEC Marksman!!! As a btw, I have/use a Dillon 550b, four Lyman All-Americans, a Forster Co-Ax, three Redding Boss presses, a Pacific C, and a Buchanan hand-press. Yup -- for cranking out the pistol rounds nothing I have comes close to the Dillon 550B. BUT -- for the BEST, smoothest action ever precision, only tied with the MEC Marksman is the Forster Co-Ax, which also provides minimal run-out. My runout was all over the board with other presses, and with a what looked like a "forever and a day" wait for the Co-Ax I took a chance on the Marksman. UNBELIEVABLE results -- from my very first loadings on the press -- Remington Fireball for an XP100 -- I thought my run-out gauge was out of whack as the dial's needle stopped moving !
    My experience...
    geo

Boolit Mold
    Favorite: Bonanza Co-Ax

Most used: LEE turrets....Classic & Econo

REDD

RCBS Rockchucker for me.

I started with a Lee Loader, then a Herters, then a RCBS Junior, then a Lee hand press, then a RCBS Rockchucker. Which remains.
    I picked up a basic Lee press for cheap from a friend for deer camp loading operations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast