MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Load for The .22 Hornet

Boolit Bub

Load for The .22 Hornet

I am looking for a load for my 40-45gr. lead bollits in my 340 Savage.

Thanks,

Terryt

Boolit Master

Try Unique with a 225438 cast from linotype.

Boolit Bub
    With Lyman 438 try IMR4227

Boolit Master

H110
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Moderator Emeritus

I use RL7
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I use either Bullseye with the NOE 45 gr. WFN plain based version or H4198 with either the old Bator bullet or the NOE 45 gr. WFN GC version

Boolit Master
    6 answers, 5 different powders! Not bad, unless you are looking for a specific recipe.

I have heard Lil’Gun is a good powder but have never tried it.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Lil'Gun is brilliant for full-power jacketed bullet loads, but isn't at all happy at cast bullet pressures.

All of the powders above will work for cast if the bullet is cast hard and gas checked. I for one would probably gravitate toward 5 grains of 2400 or Blue Dot. For a plain base Bator bullet I once tried ~2 grains of Bullseye in a 14" barrelled Contender. Accuracy wasn't stellar.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Lil'Gun is brilliant for full-power jacketed bullet loads, but isn't at all happy at cast bullet pressures...
    Thank you for pointing that out. I knew it but forgot to mention it.

Kevin

Boolit Master
    Lil'Gun is brilliant for full-power jacketed bullet loads, but isn't at all happy at cast bullet pressures.

All of the powders above will work for cast if the bullet is cast hard and gas checked. I for one would probably gravitate toward 5 grains of 2400 or Blue Dot. For a plain base Bator bullet I once tried ~2 grains of Bullseye in a 14" barrelled Contender. Accuracy wasn't stellar.
    I find 6.0gr. 2400 to be a universally accurate load in my four Hornets, with the gas checked Bator bullet cast at 12bhn. For a plinker load I use 2.0gr. Red Dot + 225438 gas checked (accuracy for me is poorer sans gas check), cast at 8-9bhn. In all cases bullets shot at as-cast diameter (large enough luber die employed to merely seat/crimp the GC & lube, and not interfere with as-cast bullet diameter). Small pistol primers employed of course in these loads too.

2400 works for me.
    RedHawk

If my remembery isn't broken, 2400 was originally developed for the Hornet, and the number 2400 was the velocity it could achieve.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I like IMR 4227.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by terrytm View Post
    I am looking for a load for my 40-45gr. lead bollits in my 340 Savage.

Thanks,

Terryt
    Been shooting various cast bullets in different 22 Hornets since the early '70s. I've settled on a couple loads which have shot well in every 22 Hornet rifle and also my 10" Contender.

In 16" twist rifles with 22 - 24" barrels a 225438 over 1.5 gr will just stay subsonic at 1050 fps +/- with usually excellent accuracy. Ane excellent load for suppressed use or as a standard 22LR equivalent load. The 225415 at 50 gr with a FP did not fair well at this low a velocity in the 16" twist. Sometimes it was decent to 50 yards but beyond it went south.

In 14" twist barrel the 225415 is a favorite for hunting small game. For suppressed use in the 10" Contender and M40 barrels I use 1.9 gr of Bullseye under the 225415. Very, very quiet out of the suppressed Contender and not bad out of the M40 Savage. For unsuppressed hunting loads the 225415 over 4.5 gr of Unique is very accurate in the 1700 - 1800 +/- fps range. For a HV hunting load the 225107 or 225415 ove Blue Dot, 2400 or 4227 in the 2200 - 2300 fps range.

I also shoot the cast bullets "as cast". I will seat and lightly crimp a Hornady GC using the GC seater in a Lyman 450 with a .225 H&I die. I the will either lube the bullets in a .228 H&I die or will simply tumble lube them in LLA. Almost all my sub sonic bullets are lubed with LLA.

Over the long haul having tested many cast bullets I've found the Lovern designed 225462 to be the most accurate cast bullet in 22 Hornets. It's just not the most efficient killer of small game/vermin. The FP'd 225415 and 225107 or similar bullets perform much better.

The thin walled 22 Hornet cases can be a PITA due to the thin necks. I've found that NSing [I use a Redding Bushing die or a Lee Collet die] is best. Backing out a standard FL die usually results in stretched and crooked necks. Also I suggest the use of an M die to expand the thin necks the GC or base of a jacketed bullets is inside the neck. That had brought my scrunching of necks to zero.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    If my remembery isn't broken, 2400 was originally developed for the Hornet, and the number 2400 was the velocity it could achieve.
    Correct!

And the original rifle that aided in the development of the Hornet cartridge was something like this,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Springfield M1922 002 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	316342

This is a Springfield Model 1922 originally cut for the 22 Long Rifle. This one was built in August 1922. At some point it was converted to chamber, fire and eject the 22 Hornet.

Kevin

Boolit Buddy
    In 16" twist rifles with 22 - 24" barrels a 225438 over 1.5 gr will just stay subsonic at 1050 fps +/- with usually excellent accuracy.
    Larry, I've been looking for a 22lr equivalent load for my Savage 340. What powder were you using here?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Sapp View Post
    Larry, I've been looking for a 22lr equivalent load for my Savage 340. What powder were you using here?
    Bullseye.

Might also try 0.8 gr of Bullseye in the Hornet under a 14.3 gr Beeman Crow Magnum pellet. Ran 950 fps out of my 16" twist Hornets with good close range accuracy for plinking and vermin control.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks. I'll try that bullseye load.
    Does anyone know of a powder that will have most of the case filled and still give good results with reduced loads in slow twist barrels?
    I'm looking for something in the 1100 - 1500 fps range with a 225107 or equivalent boolit.

Boolit Master
    Any of you Hornet fans have any excess brass?
    I have a good friend who is looking for some.
    PM me if you do.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast