WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Beater" 4WD for backcountry?

"Beater" 4WD for backcountry?

Not sure where to put the topic and not there yet (as we don't need one for our northwoods), but looking into getting a beat-up 4WD dedicated solely to getting into otherwise inaccessible big woods, and western hunting over the next few years. In other words, a good functional ugly beast I don't care about trashing cosmetically at all. Totally ignorant as I've never had any true 4WD (merely AWD, OK in light northwoods snow, useless, though, in anything "for real.").

In truck v. SUV debate, 80% going with truck. So many choices from so many sites. Trying to keep it to $10K or less. Read conflicting things on mileage - some say miles are less important than accident history, others say avoid high-mileage vehicles (e.g., approaching 300K). Massive subject I know, but hoping for some ideas. Years, important things to consider, makes. Thanks.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Have you considered one of those RTVs? Kubota? Polaris? etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Have you considered one of those RTVs? Kubota? Polaris? etc. etc.
    Thanks, but need something that can not only get in deep but have a decent payload (e.g., maybe even a wall tent and camp setup, deer carcasses, equip., up to 3-4 people, etc).
    -Paul

It sound like you need a 1999 Chevy suburban. Replace worn out stock suspension parts and install a lift kit suspension upgrade and the big tires and square up any remaining maintenance and you're good to go for the next 10 years.

Boolit Master
    1990’s Ford, Chevy or Dodge with a midsized gas engine (350 ci range). Of course, all the teenage boys are also looking but you can still find them. I bought son #2 a 1998 4wd Chevy half ton with a 350 and it was a great truck. He eventually traded for a 3/4 ton Dodge with a first gen Cummins - but I thought the Chevy was a nicer vehicle. Bought son #3 a 1996 Dodge 1/2 ton with a 360 - also a great truck, until he wrecked it.

I’ve always been partial to Jeeps and owned 5 over the years, but they don’t carry much. They are great for one or two people for short excursions but I’d rather have a truck in most circumstances.

Good luck on finding something $10k or less.

Thanks guys, please keep 'em coming. Elma, ideally in that range, not a hard limit. I've seen a lot of different vehicles with higher mileage there.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Everything is a tradeoff. I have a Dodge M37 truck with the stock PTO winch. It is the cat’s meow offroad but only goes about 45 on asphalt. It’s easy to work on and parts are available but not common, so you probably won’t find much at the local NAPA. It might be the best thing if you live within ten miles or less of your normal 4-wheeling area - otherwise, not so much. Willys jeeps have similar characteristics, just smaller. However, for all around driving, you’re better off with something newer.

There's no such thing as a cheap 4 wheel drive truck. Pay now or pay later especially if you want to transport up to 4 adults.

I spent enough to make me nearly ill last year and it was a work truck with the minimum of extras. And it was 15 years old.

Boolit Master

Pre 86 does not have a computer so it will be easier to diagnose and repair problems.

Boolit Buddy
    A Roxor with trailer may do it for you. New around $18k. Not as cheap as you're asking for, but is new.

They are pretty much a 1940's or so Jeep with a diesel engine in them, made in India by Mahindra.

Boolit Master

look in face book market place for one. pre '86 is a great idea. Most here in NY are bad rusted but the miliage is OK I got a gmc '99 for $3000, short bed, extended cab. It has a lot of cosmetic stuff, electric windows that need help. But as a dependable daily runner t all works every time. We tend to look in PA as they cant have body rust through there. In NY nobody cares as long as your head light don't fall out.

Super Moderator

This one is what the guys around Moab look for, the Suzuki Samurai. I have seen them go places that even a Willy's Jeep cant go. Modified of course, but they are truly unbelievable offroad vehicles.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...s-differences/

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    This one is what the guys around Moab look for, the Suzuki Samurai. I have seen them go places that even a Willy's Jeep cant go. Modified of course, but they are truly unbelievable offroad vehicles.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...s-differences/
    Nice rig; GO most anywhere, I didn't think one could still be bought ?

Boolit Grand Master
    I have owned a few off road vehicles.

A few years ago, I bought a Kawasaki Mule fotr $8200 out the door. Insurance is cheap. It will go just about anywhere. Very nimble. I think they are still unde4 $10k.

It comes with a three year warranty. Engine is same as the one used on their golf carts. Air cooled.

Check Craigslist or Facebook market place for a used one if money is tight. Folks sell them when they get frustrated with the 25 mph top speed.
    Don Verna

jeep Cherokee 2001 or older. very capable as is, tons of aftermarket support parts are plentiful and they are cheap

Banned

i just bought a forth vehicle. a 2006 gmc short box standard cab 4x4 which is when i was young my favorite sized truck. but this one is to nice to be put in the brush. i may be prejudice because ive always had a jeep but to me the hands down best woods rig ins a jeep 2 door. i have a 15 willys addition now and its really not much bigger then a side by side and the nice thing is it makes a good second vehicle for daily use. something a side by side cant. if you want one cheap look for a older TJ with a 4.0. Its a bullet proof motor that easley will go over 200k. so dont worry about high milage. but look it over for rust. especially if your buying one from the north. they tend to have body rot but a little of that is no big deal for a low buck woods rig. what can be a big deal is there frames tend to rot too so look carefully for frame rot. there's all kind of parts and add ons available. more so then probably any vehicle. id stay away from the 4 cyl if much road driving is on the plate. i had one and it was so under powered that its border line dangerous on the street. if you have to pass a trck you need about a mile long straight away. mine topped out at 70 and took about all day to get there. but that said it did just fine in any off road situation. but that 4.0 is a gem of a motor.

I have close to 20k into my polaris general. if you shop wisely you can pick up a decent tj for half that. my general is park most days and my wrangler gets used at least 5 days a week. MUCH more of a practical choice. i can not only drive it in the woods but can hop in it and drive to camp put around on the trails and go to the supermarket on the way home and pick up groceries. Id be lost without one. but no thanks to any of the 4 doors. just to big for the tight trails i go on. most of the 4 door jeeps up here are used by soccer moms or yuppies up here on vacation with tricked out units with huge tires that probably never saw a dirt road let alone hard core off roading.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 07-08-2023 at 08:32 AM.

Check out a Toyota 4Runner. The gen 3 v8's are full time 4x4 and the v6 4x4's are switchable and they can lock all 4 tires and have hi/lo range. Ours is a '07 v6 and it's rated to tow 5K lb, it has over 200K miles and everything works as it should. You'd never know it has high miles by driving it till you look at the odometer. Nice thing about a SUV is that you can lock everything inside it.

I'm a Ford guy but I have to admit Ford has their work cut out for them with these 4Runners and they set up nicely for off road.

Trouble with these is the frames are known to rust so take close look underneath before you buy one.
    Last edited by pmer; 07-17-2023 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Gen 3 sr5
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    I used a 90's Bronco for many years, next best is a standard cab short bed pickup. I see lots of four-wheelers and side by sides, the older Jeeps work well. You can go some pretty ugly places with most pick-ups when chained-up. Some areas have '50 inch wide' rules for four wheel vehicles. Staying out of the weather and getting the heater going are good things in cold, snowy weather. RELIABILITY is a big deal, walking 15 miles after dark in a snowstorm is not pleasant. There is NO CELL SERVICE in many places out here, nobody to hear Save Me! SAVE ME!. Oh, almost forgot, the 'modern' electronic ignitions and computerized fuel systems start much better at -15*F or colder.

You might consider something smaller, like a Chevy tracker. I have one that was my mom's daily driver, and it's not much bigger than a 4 wheeler, and it'll go just about the same places. They are pretty inexpensive too. You can put a hitch and a folding rack on the back, and a roof rack, and haul plenty.... maybe not 3 elk... you might consider it as an interim since they can be had for only $2-4k in real nice shape. Like anything they have their flaws, limits, and advantages. I've taken it places a full size vehicle couldn't go unless you got out with chainsaws and cleared a path. I've taken it up an incline I'd guess that was 30º. With that, I didn't think it'd do it... I was surprised, and glad I didn't have to find another way back out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast