Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Beater" 4WD for backcountry?

Thanks guys for all the options, tons to work with. I realize I should probably clarify a few points. Right off the bat, yeah, I was naive in sort of calling for the moon in terms of up to 4 people and these constraints. My son and myself. Two, the vehicle will only be used for hunting, but it needs to get my son and myself there, as well as back in once we get there - i.e., not an ideal townie car, but one that can handle driving us there (midwest - as far east as ME, as far west as WA). Finally, odds aren't the greatest as to my longevity. Not counting on soon, but good possibility 10 years or so. So, needing this for the at least longest haul won't be necessary.

Thanks.
    -Paul

If you want storage so your stuff is out of the weather I'd look for something like a Durango. Still probably going to have to spend $10K. Either when you buy it or by the time all is said and done.

To expand on my previous post, Bronco II and S10 sized Chevy Blazers can both be had reasonably priced and in very good condition... or at least they could last I checked. I've owned both and they were both reliable vehicles.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    jeep Cherokee 2001 or older. very capable as is, tons of aftermarket support parts are plentiful and they are cheap
    1997-2001 are OBD2, older is OBD1 and is sucks
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Banned

WRANGLER (2 door). It was designed with your purpose in mind and will go places your wife's sport utility wouldnt dare. Only other suggestion you got here that is almost as good would be a lifted tracker with good tires. Ive seen them go places that make even me shake my head

Boolit Master
    You need a 3/4 ton with locking lugs and a p.t. rear. The 3/4 will have lower gears and easier on the drive train and bigger u joints. a 4'' lift and taller skinny tires with lugs would be a + and a large fuel tank. When you get back and add it up you will get about 3 miles per gallon if your lucky. I bought a good one at an auction that came from a forest service. <yes it was green.>and had a pto winch.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 07-09-2023 at 05:37 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Pre 2000 Jeep Cherokee. Add a decent set of tires and it will take you anywhere you need to go. They run about 5K, you can add bumpers, winch, tires and lift and still be under 10K.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12