Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: finally shot my crony after 24 years

Boolit Buddy

finally shot my crony after 24 years

I knew someday it would happen but i finally shot my crony, now i feel like something is really missing in my life. i was wondering what you guys think of the new fx true ballistic crony, i was thinking of lab radar but know they can be finicky, from what it looks like the fx is a good step up, its expensive 1000 bucks but i use them all the time and should be out in a month. not sure if there is any other options that always work and can be used on everything like pistols and rifles ect.

I bought a spare Chrony. Now that I have a backup, I will never need it.
    Last edited by uscra112; 07-07-2023 at 04:09 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I bought a spare Chrony. Now that I have a backup, I will never need it.
    Prudent! No better guarantee than a spare.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    how about an Oehler 35P?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by mike_kaleigh View Post
    I knew someday it would happen but i finally shot my crony, now i feel like something is really missing in my life. i was wondering what you guys think of the new fx true ballistic crony, i was thinking of lab radar but know they can be finicky, from what it looks like the fx is a good step up, its expensive 1000 bucks but i use them all the time and should be out in a month. not sure if there is any other options that always work and can be used on everything like pistols and rifles ect.
    I have four chronies, including the LabRadar -- and my standby standby is the Oehler 35P. I bought a gizmo aftermarket where it it set-up so ('specially considering my cripple leg) is real easy. "Borrowing" a hint I heard/saw/or read about, I have a 20" piece of white plastic pipe hot glued to the channel, too. It makes it soooo easy to sight so you're not going to hit anything you don't wish to. My very 1st chronograph was a PACT, and I'm kind of embarrassed to confess that my very first day out with it -- BAM -- I hit one of the sensors,

Re your hitting your chrony -- welcome to this club !!!
    geo

I've never shot my PACT Chrono...... Only the screens since mine has the electronics and printer separate from the screens. And I also have a LabRadar. I feel for you, that noise when the shot part goes flying down range is the pits
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

I found out that a hard gust of wind just as you pull the trigger will push an Ohler off of its azimuth. In this case, the 3,500 + fps Bullet caught the edge of the steel defuser support, the fast bullet exploded, the bullet shrapnel took out the exit sensor. Simple solution for the Ohler, I just ordered new parts, done and done. Best to buy a machine that has spare parts available that can easily be changed out by you.

My crony sits outside, my shooting bench and crony readout is inside, so a change of wind direction or wind gusts is more seen than felt.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

The steel wire diffuser supports on my Chrony are easily replaced with bamboo shishkabob skewers. Ditto the Oehlers' as well?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Plus another recommending the Oehler M35P.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla