MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 55?

Quote Originally Posted by azjohn View Post
    Part number is 7392036. Lyman shows out of stock. Midway has it. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011239147
    Thanks for the link!
    Old as I am and I didn’t know these existed. I used to have a cigar box full of 310 dies and I could have used that bushing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

The powder reservoir tube on my 55 was cracked so I called Lyman and ordered a one pound tube to replace it. This was too many years ago to recall the details. The lady at Lyman said that she didn’t know it would fit. Pretty sure I read that it would here. Seems like I warmed the tube with a heat gun GENTLY before screwing it into the measure.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    I got one for $15 at a gun show. It needed some work with Kroil and fine steel wool to smooth the rotor and get the slides to move freely, but it finally cleaned up well and I regularly use it. Of course it didn't have a lid but that's no big deal to me since I mount it for use, adjust for desired weight, and start charging cases. If it had a lid I wouldn't put it on the measure in my normal routine since I'm pouring powder back in the hopper after checking weights, and adding powder as needed. Since I normally don't load large numbers of handgun rounds at one time I don't leave powder in the hopper after I'm through. It's stored in a closed cabinet so doesn't get dirty between uses.

When I started loading back in the 1960s I ordered Lyman neck sizing dies and received 310 dies in .243 and .270. The catalog said the bushings were needed for the neck sizing dies so I got a couple of them back then.

Sir, you have a fine powder measure. If you look on the bottom of the measuring cylinder you’ll find the measurements for black powder. I believe they are in drams. I’ve had better luck measuring coarse powders, such as Red Dot and Unique with my Lyman 55 than with my Redding Match Grade measures. Those old fashioned, bulky powders seem to work better with the odd rectangular opening than with the cylindrical inserts. I use my Reddings with the modern powders that have turnip seed sized granules.

Boolit Master
    I took a look at my 55 and it has grain and dram scales. Never noticed that before. Thanks for the heads up.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

I got to use it for the first time yesterday.
    It had no problem dispensing 3.5 grs of Red Dot.
    I checked it with the powder scale twice during the 150 case session- it held fast.
    Thanks for the help on understanding the adjustments!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for posting the Lyman 7/8 x 310 adapter, been loading since the late 60's and can't recall seeing these. I have several of the 55's. I've add the Hornady LNL adapter to my Redding measurers, now I can put a LNL, w/the Lyman adapter, on the Lyman's. I have the Hornady powder stand mounted on a Inline Fab plate. Helps keep my small bench clean yet quick to set up.

That video helps alot for me , will help with the problems I been having to get the right charge to stay .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I bought my first one in 1958 and now have ten.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy (punchie) View Post
    Beemer

What type of lid? I have a few of these and I know I need lids.

Thanks, Teddy
    I believe the small RCBS hopper lid will work on that Lyman............RCBS' earlier versions were of smaller diameter than the current stuff.

I really like this measure. I loaded 110 rounds of .223 with SW AR Plus ball powder and it stayed consistent throughout three scale checks.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Operational Tip : Set the slides to form a single narrow , deep cavity .
    The more narrow the powder cavity is, then the less cutting of powder flakes / granuals / sticks will occur by the brass measure slide as it rotates .
    #2 . Develop a consistent tapping technique to insure the narrow , deep powder cavity gets filled complwtwly and consistently .

The least accurate way to set the powder slide is to create a wide , shallow cavity that lets a lot of powder flakes get cut when the handle is rotated ...avoid this method of setting .

Practice your tapping and settling technique and handle operation until you have it perfected and the 55 will deliver surprisingly accurate powder drops ... even with Flakey old Unique !
    Gary
    ^^^^^this^^^^^

A few years ago I bought a pair of "powder measure weights" from a guy who made and sold them on Ebay. They are a big help in throwing consistent powder charges.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails powder measure weight (480x640).jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy (punchie) View Post
    They Lyman made a few different ones. The black or darker colors were sometimes for black powder. If I recall the scale of number were different.

The adapters should be around if having trouble PM me. I should have a bunch somewhere.
    The Lyman family sold the company in 1970 to Leisure Group. That was when the color was changed from orange to grey. Later after another company bought it, they went back to orange, but it was not the same shade as the original Lyman Orange. Leisure Group did sell f black powder version with a high capacity brass hopper and a very long drop tube.

The Lyman 55 was introduced in 1946 and was an improved version of the older Ideal No. 5. The 55 evolved during it's time with the Lyman family. The original version didn't have the screw adjustments to the slide, a spring attached drop tube and an aluminum cap. These changes did not happen at one time, but over the course of some years. I have one of every variation and they all still work like a champ.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    The Lyman family sold the company in 1970 to Leisure Group. That was when the color was changed from orange to grey. Later after another company bought it, they went back to orange, but it was not the same shade as the original Lyman Orange. Leisure Group did sell f black powder version with a high capacity brass hopper and a very long drop tube.

The Lyman 55 was introduced in 1946 and was an improved version of the older Ideal No. 5. The 55 evolved during it's time with the Lyman family. The original version didn't have the screw adjustments to the slide, a spring attached drop tube and an aluminum cap. These changes did not happen at one time, but over the course of some years. I have one of every variation and they all still work like a champ.
    The leasure group was a disaster. It took 14 companies into bankruptcy.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

Replenish, i.e., keep the hopper at about the same level after every 10-15 throws. If you are pushing maximum loads then I suggest using a trickle-charger to bring the load to maximum if the lyman measure should prove not accurate enough.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Buddy
    You can get 2” rubber caps at Amazon:

(Pack of 4) SBDs 2 Inch Round Black Vinyl End Caps, Flexible Push-On Pipe Post Rubber Covers | All Caps 1" Deep for a Snug Fit | Made in USA by Caplugs https://a.co/d/9fBLxDh

Boolit Master
    I lost a screw off my Lyman 55. It's one of the two screws that must be loosened to adjust the slide. I lost the smaller screw that bears against the side of the slide. Where can I find a replacement?

Boolit Buddy
    This Screw? I think it's Lyman Part Number 7990290 (no longer available)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman 55 screw mark.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	317998

Here it is out of the measure. Note the tip has the threads turned off.

Name:	Lyman 55 small screw.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	317997

I checked the threads and they are 8-32 which is a common machine screw.

You should be able to go down to the local hardware store and look in the boxes in the bolt aisle and find a thumb screw. I'm posting from McMaster (which is great for all kinds of stuff) but a little screw like this would be $15 shipping probably....not something I usually do.

If you are like me you have an old coffee can of bolts and screws that you will dump out and go through first and 1 in 10 chance find it......

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/sc...ead-size~8-32/

You can chuck it in a lathe and turn the tip or a drill press and use a file to do the tip maybe. If you use brass you might not need to do that. You shouldn't be tightening this thing all that much

The original screw is steel, but you can get brass or aluminum (I'd get brass if available), the brass is soft and shouldn't dig in the cylinder.

If anyone loses the large screw, it's some odd thread (maybe a #10, but it's finer that 32, maybe 36, I do think Lyman used 10-36 screws which are real oddballs).

Good luck.

JW
    Last edited by j4570; 09-16-2023 at 07:44 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j4570 View Post
    This Screw? I think it's Lyman Part Number 7990290 (no longer available)

Name:	Lyman 55 screw mark.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	317998

Here it is out of the measure. Note the tip has the threads turned off.

Name:	Lyman 55 small screw.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	317997

I checked the threads and they are 8-32 which is a common machine screw.

You should be able to go down to the local hardware store and look in the boxes in the bolt aisle and find a thumb screw. I'm posting from McMaster (which is great for all kinds of stuff) but a little screw like this would be $15 shipping probably....not something I usually do.

If you are like me you have an old coffee can of bolts and screws that you will dump out and go through first and 1 in 10 chance find it......

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/sc...ead-size~8-32/

You can chuck it in a lathe and turn the tip or a drill press and use a file to do the tip maybe. If you use brass you might not need to do that. You shouldn't be tightening this thing all that much

The original screw is steel, but you can get brass or aluminum (I'd get brass if available), the brass is soft and shouldn't dig in the cylinder.

If anyone loses the large screw, it's some odd thread (maybe a #10, but it's finer that 32, maybe 36, I do think Lyman used 10-36 screws which are real oddballs).

Good luck.

JW
    Thank you. On my way to hardware store.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast