Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Area 419 Zero Press

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Area 419 Zero Press

$890 +$50 shipping with 12 bids and 8 hours to go.

WHAT IN THE WORLD WIIL THIS PRESS DO THAT 99% of the bench reloading presses out there won't do????
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

According to the website ZERO friction!
    They retail for $1200, but not from me!

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Oh my gosh! I have seen these presses in ads, here and there in magazines. I had know idea they have such a steep price tag! Like roysha said what will it do that 99% of other presses can’t do. To rich for my blood. Makes you wonder if presses are now status symbols like so many other things.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    WHAT IN THE WORLD WIIL THIS PRESS DO THAT 99% of the bench reloading presses out there won't do????
    I had a dust-up with some folks on the forum at Accurateshooter.com about this press.

Somebody posted that their Zero press flexes.

I replied that if it flexes, it's rubbish.

Someone - presumably a Zero press manufacturer / dealer or owner, took exception to my use of the word 'rubbish', and some other Zero press cheerleaders went off on a tangent saying all presses flex if you measure for it.

I mentioned that my Lee Classic Cast does not flex, and I was given a lecture on measuring flex, presumably to convince me that it does.

People spend money to feel confident. There's a big market for shooter confidence.

Boolit Grand Master

All normal reloading presses have some amount of flex. Proper design, tolerances and material selection will minimize this issue, but it never will be fully eliminated in normal press designs.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    All normal reloading presses have some amount of flex.
    I agree and understand that. All metal under tension or compression will flex. So will the piston rods in your engine.

Would you say that a 3 thou flex in a $1000 press is normal ?

Boolit Grand Master

The amount of flex will be related to the load amount, design, tolerances and material selection. Given the turret head needing some clearance to smoothly rotate .003" better than I expected but the devil is in the details like how they did the measurements?

In general, I am not a fan of turret presses. I only have one in my collection, and it rarely gets used.

https://www.area419.com/product/the-...loading-press/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

its a 10 station press, so lots of versatility.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

To clarify what I mean by flex :

When you raise the empty shellholder to kiss the sizing die at the top of the stroke, then do the same with a case on the shellholder, and you then see a gap between the shellholder and the die, that gap is what I call the flex of the press.

In my opinion, when sizing bottleneck rifle brass, there shouldn't be any.

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    $890 +$50 shipping with 12 bids and 8 hours to go.

Eat up the better part of $1000…

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    All normal reloading presses have some amount of flex. Proper design, tolerances and material selection will minimize this issue, but it never will be fully eliminated in normal press designs.
    Yeah, I actually have a little fixture to test turret presses and was going to test one myself but the only place that actually had one out for customers to play with had the handle locked up. It did feel tighter than this old Lyman though.

Boolit Master

I have thought about a 419 a few times. Its costs are quite hi. But as Its something I really enjoy and frankly have invested more justbover a doz presses why not sell off and have less but better?

The "better" part is the argument. Smother fancier yea without doubt. But will it produce "better" ammo? Doubtful. The ol Rock Chucker is HARD TO BEST! Even a test on uTube I watched showed that RCBS press was one of the best.

One thats been impressing me is the MEC. Ill have to try one one day.

I love the functionality of the turret but see and saw its limitations with my first one a Spar T some forty years back. I tried a T-Mag and a T- Mag II. Sold both for too much slop. Wanted a Redding but saw they had same movement. Got a deal on a American 8 and grabbed that. Quickly found same slop I investigated and found I could remove it pretty easy so I did. Now its a very solid machine. Never be as solid as that RC as a O frame is best of any C or turret.

Of coarse That MEC is a "C" but its a beefy one and wow is she smooth!

I have had most presses made since the 60's and a few older. I liked something about/with most all of them. Like the Foster & its Chinese "copy" the Frankfort M Press. I use the M Press as well. My old Pacific "O" press still sits on another bench as does a RCBS Summit. I used to really mike my Ammo Master but it developed much slop and its first time RCBS hasnt stepped up to repair a product.

For now my American 8 is a favorite. But Ill have a MEC soon enough.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    I cannot fathom how it can be any better or much faster than a Co-Ax.

My 50+ year old Co-Ax produces sub MOA reloads and I have no need to improve on that. I shoot so little rifle ammunition that gaining a bit of productivity is not a driver. I have my dies set up and just flip them in and out of the press and run in batches.

As to "flex", I do initial full length sizing on an RCBS RC. I doubt it flexes much. Can't envision how the Co-Ax can flex much seating a bullet. Just not a lot of force being used.

I am an equipment "snob' but I want to gain something for the investment. I run Dillons for that reason on pistol ammunition. This press does not check any boxes.

I don't have a Rolex for the same reason. How much better can it be?
    Don Verna

Boolit Mold
    I've been interested in in this press since it came out. I have the redding T7 and am very happy with it. I just can't justify spending that kind of money unless I could see how it could produce ammo that is more accurate than what I already have.

Boolit Master
    A fool an his money are soon parted! I will just keep using my Co-Ax press it makes better ammo than my ability to shoot it.

Machining tolerances, especially those controlling index accuracy, had better be phenomenal to match a quality single-stage like a Rockchucker. I know how high precision machine tool index tables work, but this ain't that.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    If I want full length sizing I set my dies in the press deeper than just hitting the shellholder. This way the case goes in until the shell holder hits the die and any flex doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    If I want full length sizing I set my dies in the press deeper than just hitting the shellholder. This way the case goes in until the shell holder hits the die and any flex doesn't matter.
    That doesn't work if you need to control the amount of shoulder bump on bottleneck cases.

The most significant weakness of the old "C-frame" presses was that they would spread open under pressure. This threw the ram axis and the die axis out of parallel, and for the bigger cartridges like .30-06 the base of the case was pushed out-of-square. THAT in turn was found by high-power shooters would contribute to larger groups. The "O" press was the solution.

Turret presses necessarily still have this problem. The post and turret clamping have to be extremely robust to minimize it. Which this 419 press does appear to be.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    And here I am, happy with my Lee Classic Turret press and my Redding Boss single.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast