MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Cva "209"?

Cva "209"?

Looking more closely for an in-line muzzleloader. Totally new. Re: the differences among the CVA's. The "CVA V. 2 209" lists for $529 (don't want the scope, will do another).

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cva-...th-scope-combo

OTOH, the "CVA V. 2 with scope in true timber" lists for $599. (Same, don't want the scope. Looking into a crossfire).

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cva-...er-strata-camo

Is the "209" designation somehow related to Blackhorn 209? What makes it so?

Just starting to learn. Biggest thing I've learned - no primers or powder seems available, so unfortunately I've got time.
    -Paul

Perhaps because it uses #209/shotgun primers rather than musket or #11 percussion caps?

Boolit Buddy

Agree with Maven. Most inline muzzle loaders use #209 shotgun primers. GW

Boolit Master
    Blackhorn209 powder is clamed to need a special breach plug, I shoot blackhorn209, great powder, when I talked with the kids at the lab, where they make this, I was instructed to use a magnum primer, I have done this with all I shoot with blackhorn209 either in my cartridge guns or muzzle loaders, ( 209 primers ) that eliminated any problems for me. CVA made a special breach plug to eliminate the ignition problem with blackhorn209, it must work, they sell a lot of these plugs ? Blackhorn209 is available here at sportsman guide, expensive, yes, but available, primers well that's another story, regular #209 primers are to be had, no magnum #209 to be found, so the special breach plug ??? I just bought two CVA guns, a wolf magnum and a v2, will see if they shoot as good as the first one I bought and shoot ?? Can get the CVA without the scope mounts...

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Blackhorn209 powder is clamed to need a special breach plug, I shoot blackhorn209, great powder, when I talked with the kids at the lab, where they make this, I was instructed to use a magnum primer, I have done this with all I shoot with blackhorn209 either in my cartridge guns or muzzle loaders, ( 209 primers ) that eliminated any problems for me. CVA made a special breach plug to eliminate the ignition problem with blackhorn209, it must work, they sell a lot of these plugs ? Blackhorn209 is available here at sportsman guide, expensive, yes, but available, primers well that's another story, regular #209 primers are to be had, no magnum #209 to be found, so the special breach plug ??? I just bought two CVA guns, a wolf magnum and a v2, will see if they shoot as good as the first one I bought and shoot ?? Can get the CVA without the scope mounts...
    You're in mind Blahut, because I think I recall that - your wolf magnum. I have it on the cart...
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    You're in mind Blahut, because I think I recall that - your wolf magnum. I have it on the cart...
    PM me if you want with questions ???

I sent you a PM with some information. .
    Last edited by BLAHUT; 07-03-2023 at 08:36 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have the CVA Wolf, the first thing I bought was the BH209 breach plug as I intend to only use BH in it. I did use some red hots I had on hand the first range day with some power belts but once the BH plug came in there’s been no going back. My other CVA can eat up the supply of pellets and Pyrodex RS. I have yet to use a magnum primer and use Rem 97* (209s without the internal cover) since I have plenty of those on hand, I have seen no ignition issues to date with this combination I do have a box or two of supposed real ML 209 primers.

The 209 breech plug has the powder side drilled out more in sort of a cone shape to get the powder closer to the primer than the original stock flat faced breach plug. CVA and Hodgon both recommend the use of the BH209 plug in their literature.

Hope this helps.

Thanks all, that does help clear it up.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    I have the CVA Wolf, the first thing I bought was the BH209 breach plug as I intend to only use BH in it. I did use some red hots I had on hand the first range day with some power belts but once the BH plug came in there’s been no going back. My other CVA can eat up the supply of pellets and Pyrodex RS. I have yet to use a magnum primer and use Rem 97* (209s without the internal cover) since I have plenty of those on hand, I have seen no ignition issues to date with this combination I do have a box or two of supposed real ML 209 primers.

The 209 breech plug has the powder side drilled out more in sort of a cone shape to get the powder closer to the primer than the original stock flat faced breach plug. CVA and Hodgon both recommend the use of the BH209 plug in their literature.

Hope this helps.
    I tried the federal muzzle 209 primers in my wolf, would not seal the breach upon firing... Went with the #209 mag shot gun primers by federal or CCI, do not have the 209 breach plug.

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    PM me if you want with questions ???

I sent you a PM with some information. .
    PM sent, and thanks again Blahut. Just looking for a MZ that will go dependably bang in nasty winter weather, and can have the at least better chance of getting components these days. So, basically, I still don't know what to get as I'm shooting literally blind, lol. I remember your comment earlier on the Wolf and I have had my eye on that for some time. But don't know anything, so yeah, basically ignorant as to which way to go, or for what reasons.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Here’s my take on the CVA V2 50cal:
    I was out on the range last year (Sept. IIRC) and saw two locals shooting some sort of in-line muzzle loaders. I didn’t know what brand, caliber, or model. I knew these two guys on a casual basis and stopped to watch them shoot for a while. I have owned a LOT of in-lines over the years and my current favorite was my TC Encore 50cal which is a great shooter. Anyway, both of these guys were shooting groups sub 2moa at 100 yards with their guns. I finally asked what they were shooting and they replied “CVA V2’s”. Both guns had a decent camo synthetic stock which didn’t appear to be your usual tupperware flexible plastic. They appeared to actually have a decent stock on them. They told me to try the triggers which were slick as glass and broke at around two pounds with no travel….amazing. I asked who did the trigger work and they both replied that they came that way out of the box. I finally asked what they were and I was told “CVA’s, V2 models”. I inquired about the price and was told they had gotten them for under four hundred bucks tyd! That was truly astounding. My TC Ecnore barrel and forearm was around four hundred without the rest of the gun! One of the guys offered to order me one right on the spot since he had the info on his cell phone. He said I could pay him when it came in. I jumped on that offer and it cost me around three-fifty delivered. My gun came in and it shoots just a tad over 1moa using BH209 and Barnes TEZ 290g bullets. I ended up putting a Leupold 1-5x20 Twilight Hunter scope on it and the scope cost about double of what the gun cost. My TC Encore, which shoots great, is now a safe queen. If you’re even thinking about a CVA V2, don’t hesitate. There is NO downside to getting one. Easy to take apart and clean, great trigger and accuracy, and a fantastic warranty. FWIW, I tried Triple7 in the gun and it shoots almost as good as the BH209 I use. Only “downside” to T7 is that I have to swab with a damp Windex patch followed by a dry patch between shots. No big deal there. I personally think the CVA V2 is the best kept secret out there.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a nib optima camo v2 id part with if interested

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Here’s my take on the CVA V2 50cal:
    I was out on the range last year (Sept. IIRC) and saw two locals shooting some sort of in-line muzzle loaders. I didn’t know what brand, caliber, or model. I knew these two guys on a casual basis and stopped to watch them shoot for a while. I have owned a LOT of in-lines over the years and my current favorite was my TC Encore 50cal which is a great shooter. Anyway, both of these guys were shooting groups sub 2moa at 100 yards with their guns. I finally asked what they were shooting and they replied “CVA V2’s”. Both guns had a decent camo synthetic stock which didn’t appear to be your usual tupperware flexible plastic. They appeared to actually have a decent stock on them. They told me to try the triggers which were slick as glass and broke at around two pounds with no travel….amazing. I asked who did the trigger work and they both replied that they came that way out of the box. I finally asked what they were and I was told “CVA’s, V2 models”. I inquired about the price and was told they had gotten them for under four hundred bucks tyd! That was truly astounding. My TC Ecnore barrel and forearm was around four hundred without the rest of the gun! One of the guys offered to order me one right on the spot since he had the info on his cell phone. He said I could pay him when it came in. I jumped on that offer and it cost me around three-fifty delivered. My gun came in and it shoots just a tad over 1moa using BH209 and Barnes TEZ 290g bullets. I ended up putting a Leupold 1-5x20 Twilight Hunter scope on it and the scope cost about double of what the gun cost. My TC Encore, which shoots great, is now a safe queen. If you’re even thinking about a CVA V2, don’t hesitate. There is NO downside to getting one. Easy to take apart and clean, great trigger and accuracy, and a fantastic warranty. FWIW, I tried Triple7 in the gun and it shoots almost as good as the BH209 I use. Only “downside” to T7 is that I have to swab with a damp Windex patch followed by a dry patch between shots. No big deal there. I personally think the CVA V2 is the best kept secret out there.
    Excellent info, many thanks NSB.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Fastleo View Post
    I have a nib optima camo v2 id part with if interested
    Really appreciate it, found one nearby. Thanks much though.
    -Paul