Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 118 degrees, whew

119 degrees and a sand pile for a duty station! That ought to pay double. My heart is with those troopers for sure. I did Med Training Center at Fort Sam Houston
    Tx, and July is no picnic there either. After Ft Polk,La, i just THOUGHT I was ready to vamoose from there!
    BTW, it is a crying shame that out veterans get 1 day of recognition and LGBTQ, or whatever the initials are, get a MONTH!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Being the heat of summer it got over 80 today.
    Had to water the garden. And the cat just flip flopped in the porch swing.

Boolit Grand Master

119 here yesterday again.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    119 here yesterday again.
    Pool, cocktails, pool......

Boolit Master
    107* F at 10:30 AM in Mesquite NV. Supposed to be 118* later today. We had an overnight low of 83*

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    107* F at 10:30 AM in Mesquite NV. Supposed to be 118* later today. We had an overnight low of 83*
    Happy I am not down the road 30 miles at our Moapa House this time of year.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by haak48 View Post
    Pool, cocktails, pool......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

We’re going to see it slightly above 90 in a day or so, our highs last about an hour.

Moderator Emeritus

Located on the eastern tip of the Avalon Peninsula on the island of Newfoundland, it currently is 25*C (77*F) in the Province's capital, St. John's, with a wonderful 25+ kmh (16 mph) breeze coming in from the Atlantic Ocean. Not a bad location to be at..............
    geo

Boolit Master

The numbers on a thermometer around here won’t impress anyone but I promise, 98-100F, as we’ve had the past few weeks, along the Gulf Coast is absolutely oppressive. I’ve lived in the Central Valley of California and in Southeast New Mexico where the mercury climbs much higher. In the desert you can step into the shade of a tree in a grass yard and feel immediate relief at 105 degrees. On the Gulf Coast the humidity is everywhere. It slows the evaporation of perspiration to the point of not cooling. Even 95 degrees in the shade is very hot.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    My wife is from Thailand, she says it is "too hot" here in Ky. Humidity levels keep it tough on me to work outside. But no, not even close to that 118 temp.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master

I do think the news is making way to much on this summers heat the couple degrees over the last summers is not really life threatening . The fear the news spreads probably causes more harm!

Here in Michigan we are on the cool side for summer did not hit 80 degrees yesterday .

Something else the news is pretty much ignoring is the sun is nearing a high energy cycle that is supposed to peak next year . This is why the northern lights have been active and will get more active in the coming months . The sun has much more effect on the weather then anything we do here on earth.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

FL is more than many can stand, not unusual to have 100/100 days in july and August. Gulf rain storms move in every afternoon, drop rain and it gets real steamy.
    The Ranger's Jungle School, Yellow River Swamp, Camp Rudder, is just south of us, so those guys are gong through some "good trainng" right now.
    I grew up in the Glades near the big lake, without electricity, so, you do expect the heat during the "Dog Days."
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

My real problem with the heat is that it’s no fun standing in the sun flying my radio controlled airplanes. We’re getting a break today; forecast is for 95. It’s battleship day, working on the big guns of the USS Texas in an open shop so I’m grateful for the break. I read a comment elsewhere a few days ago from someone in Scandinavia griping that it was hitting 77 degrees F there and he just wasn’t used to that kind of heat. Also saw a post from a high school classmate talking about it not feeling so hot 50-55 years ago when we were kids.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Todays high here is forecast to be 99º which probably means it will be 100-101. Like the others have said, the humidity makes it seem worse. 118 is hot!

Boolit Master
    gwpercle sez" "the greatest invention , as far as I'm concerned" (AC) GONRA agrees! !!

Boolit Master

Hottest I've seen it around here on my way to Seattle...

Attachment 316269
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Moderator Emeritus

My "question" is whether we -- humans -- can adapt to this temperature increase, which I keep reading and hearing about, "is here to 'stay'"??? In the late 1960s when I moved north there was an annual Ice Carnival -- with chainsawed ice statues complementing many "regular" winter activities -- ice skating, snow showing, and the like. In the nation's capitol (Ottawa) the event to look forward to, annually, was "Winterlude" which ran for a couple of weeks each February. The entire Rideau River, down to Landsdown Park became a wonderland of merchants and wonderful events, ALL on this now frozen waterway. Each year, it seems, the winters have become less cold -- more pronounced to me, than warmer summers...
    Will this "trend" -- 'specially the super-hot summer temps -- be continuing? I am most distressed re all living in the south/southwest USA at present. BUT, if this warming trend continues.... five years from now?????
    geo

Boolit Master

I am a "Man Made Climate Change Denier". But; I do believe that we are at the end of the warming trend after the Little Ice age; with movement to cooler/colder temps in the next 100 years due to Solar activity, the "Wobbles of the Earth", and the orbital eccentricities of the Solar System.

But - My wife does talk of the Rivers Freezing up in New York city when she was very young; which does not happen anymore according to her friends and family still in New York.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Forty three years ago this month I was working morning tower on a directional gas well (North Texas).
    It was 100 degrees at midnight two nights in a row.
    The highest it got was 115 during the day.
    A co worker got his hand burned from picking up a pipe wrench laying in the sun.
    It hasn’t been that hot here since; but it’s gotten close a couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast