RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Refurb Leupold scopes

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    Leopold Freedom scopes are supposedly "Made in China" . Am looking to replace some 75 year old fixed power Weavers. Looking at 2-7 power Leopolds. Anyone have other suggestions? Think I want something assembled in the US. Supposedly all good glass comes from either Germany or Japan.
    Not according to Leupold.

https://www.leupold.com/blog/post/le...%20performance.

The VX-Freedom series is everything consumers expect from a Leupold: designed, machined, and assembled in the Oregon factory, tested to the same ruggedness standards as top-tier riflescopes, and guaranteed for a lifetime of performance.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-07-2023 at 01:56 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I stand corrected. Question is what do they do to make the Freedom Scopes cheap. A VX3 is about $600.00. A similar Freedom is $300. My next scope is going to be a VX3.

Boolit Master
    Leopold Freedom scopes are supposedly "Made in China" [...]
    Where did that information come from, by the way ? Online forums don't count.

I stand corrected. Question is what do they do to make the Freedom Scopes cheap. A VX3 is about $600.00. A similar Freedom is $300. My next scope is going to be a VX3.
    Feel free to handle & adjust a Freedom, then buy the VX3 to see the difference.
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 07-06-2023 at 06:32 PM.

Boolit Master

Do not buy Leupold.
    They Do NOT stand behind their products.
    They will replace a top of the line scope from 25yrs ago with a cheap piece of Chinese crap that costs less today then you paid for that top of the line scope 25yrs ago.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Feel free to buy Leupold, with confidence.
    They stand behind their products 110%; my experience with sending in /many/ of their older models for service checks over the years.
    They will replace an obsolete entry-level scope from decades ago, with a top-quality modern US-manufactured model with up-to-date optics; if you hold them to a higher standard, they can and do bump the replacement unit at least one or even multiple model lines.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Do not buy Leupold.
    They will replace a top of the line scope from 25yrs ago with a cheap piece of Chinese crap that costs less today then you paid for that top of the line scope 25yrs ago.
    Leupold does not sell Chinese scopes. What brand/model of scope did the send you?

A while back Leupold replaced a scope that was damaged in a car accident. It was Vari-X 3 from the 80's. They replaced it with the equivalent current production scope. No charge.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Well then I got really ripped off. The ocular bell from a Vari-X 2 that I bought new in 1975 literally fell off. Sent it in for repair or replacement. At first they wanted $100 for replacement. When I said that was a ripoff, they sent me a bottom of the barrel replacement. No where as good optics as the one it replaced 30yrs later.

At the same time I bought a new spotting scope. It came in a sealed and strapped box with china all over it. And there was a tiny gold sticker on the bottom of the scope itself that said china.
    I HATE auto-correct

SASS #375 Life

There are knock-offs around. Sometimes I think about an EBAY buy, then I rethink it and wonder why I was looking there in the first place.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    There are knock-offs around. Sometimes I think about an EBAY buy, then I rethink it and wonder why I was looking there in the first place.
    Leupold has a site to check of counterfeits. I will not purchase used without checking. I've seen two in person and a bunch listed on eBay.

https://www.leupold.com/support/reso...erfeit-warning

https://opticsvilla.com/where-are-leupold-scopes-made/

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I bought My spotting scope from Midway.
    I HATE auto-correct

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

The best optical glass comes from Japan and Germany. Leupold uses Japanese Glass for most. I have heard claims the low-end entry level scopes like the Freedoms use Chinese glass. The Japanese glass info is solid. Leupold was sued about 20 years ago over this.

The claims of the Freedoms/entry level scopes using Chinese glass has not been proven or disproven to me.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

I bought my son a Wind River series spotter by Leupold and the glass was terrible. He has 20/20 (young) vision and he could not make out 22 cal bullet holes at 100 yds. I tried every focus setting on that spotting scope and it was just terrible. I called Leupold customer service and explained thee problem. The guy I talked to said send it in and gave me his name so I could write "Attn: Joe" on the box. (can't remember his name now). In about 10 days, I received a new spotting scope (not Gold Ring) and I swear that it is brighter and sharper than my Kowa. I might snivel over the fact that they changed the reticle on a scope I want but as far as warranty, they can't be beat.
    BTW, I got an answer from Leupold stating that the rim fire scopes were tested to the same recoil standards as the centerfire ones.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I've seen semi-auto .22s that would beat a centerfire scope to pieces. An old Stevens 'gill gun' is an excellent example.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Do not buy Leupold.
    I agree! I had to "fight" with Leupold to get a comparable scope when they REFUSED to repair my 3X9 Vari-X with AO and wanted to replace it with Freedom series scope. It took over 6 months to finally get a suitable replacement.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Not arguing, just stating my findings: my new Freedom is as good or better than my old Vari-X-II.
    The new less expensive scopes have Etched Reticles rather than wire. I prefer the etched reticle because it seems to me that it will be more durable.

I think I have caught midway being shady twice. Once was when I bought a Vltor stock years ago, I could tell it had an action set in it before. I figured someone wasn't happy with it and returned it to midway and they just added back into inventory.
    The second time was about a month ago. A friend ordered 3 bags of Lapua brass, one was slit open and to our amazement about half of the cases had been already fired.
    I know Larry has left the company. Maybe this is what we can come to expect from them.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    my question is: why is this thread in the cast boolit section??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12