Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refurb Leupold scopes

Refurb Leupold scopes

I was browsing Midwayusa's website and while looking for a lower powered scipe, I found that they are expecting some 1.5-4 Freedom scopes that are refurbished. And, after contacting Midway, they told me the price is the same as a brand new one. I know that Leupold & Stevens has a very protective pricing structure but a refurb? Has anyone ever used one of these scopes and if so, what were the results? I have never heard of refurb Leupolds in the past but maybe there have been. At any rate, I am hoping somebody can shed a bit of information on these.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    I’m just amazed that anyone would consider paying the same price for a refurbished scope as a new one. Why would anyone do that. There’s not really any shortage of Leupold scopes out there. Not even the Freedom line.

Boolit Grand Master

I have one of them and it is a decent little scope, but I agree that I wouldn't pay the same as new for a refurb.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I have one of them and it is a decent little scope, but I agree that I wouldn't pay the same as new for a refurb.
    Is yours a refurb?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Back in the 90s I sent two scopes back to be rebuilt, one Weaver and one Leupold. As far as I know, both were made in the 70s. They charged $75.00 for one and the other was free (I can't remember which was which).
    Last edited by JSnover; 07-05-2023 at 07:26 AM. Reason: information
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Several of my 4x scopes old and finally died were replaced (NC) and in one case replaced with a 6x because ? They did ask 1st !/Ed

I don't mean to question Leupold's service departments ability to refurb a scope but even Nosler gives you a slight break on factory seconds. Since these scopes are Freedom Series and all are 1.5-4x, I wonder if there was/is an inherent defect. As soon as the 4th is over, I think I'll give the good people in Bend, Oregon a call.

There is one born every second. Need to hear this marketing pitch, we went through it and it is better than new. Why wan't the new so good, to start with then.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

The refurbs carry the same lifetime warranty as all Leupolds have, but why would anyone buy a refurb when the price is identical to a new one??? I've had four Leupolds fail in service, one while on a hunt! As far as I'm concerned, they're no better than some of the others, just more expensive. For my money, I've found that the Hawke Vantage IR series are equal optically, just as tough (or more so!) and also carry a lifetime warranty. Hawke warrants these scopes for use on any caliber rifle and on spring-piston airguns. I have a Weirauch 95 with a Hawke Vantage IR 3-9x on it, going strong for three years now, no problems. Check them out, buy one and spend the money you save on ammo!

https://www.airgundepot.com/airgunsc...Sport%20Optics
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Moderator Emeritus

I'm not saying this is the case, just a guess in the dark.
    Sometimes when a manufacturer makes a new and improved product, they will re-work the older product on the shelf to be as good as the new and improved.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

A seller can ask any price they want for a good or service. The question is are people are willing to pay that price?

I suppose if they were to raise the price of the scopes that aren't refurbished that would be better somehow...... ?

Great little scopes, but at least a 10% discount for a refurbished.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Great little scopes, but at least a 10% discount for a refurbished.
    Like previously stated NO Charge for the straight 4x replacement/Ed

I sent a question to Leupold and asked if their rimfire 4x would withstand the recoil of a 30-06 class rifle and also IF it would, would they make one that is parallax corrected for 100 yds as a special order. Smaller 4x scopes are are almost non existent, even used. Sometmes I think I must be one of the last 6 people in the world who doesn't think they need a scope as big as another rifle!
    Centershot, thanks for that Hawke tip, I will look them over.

Boolit Master

I have a Hawke 4-12x40 AO on my CZ455 and I like it so far.
    God Bless, Whisler

Boolit Grand Master

In the past Natchez sold a lot of refurbished Leupold scopes. They were always discounted. I never purchased a refurbished one but they also sold discontinued models at a very good discount. Most of my higher end Leupold scopes were purchased from discontinued models or models that they changed the name on. I bought a bunch of Mark 4/Long range scopes at close to half the price.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I recently went shopping for a 1.5-4 Freedom, ended up with a reticle that I did not want, but it was available and the standard duplex that I wanted was not anywhere to be found.

I MIGHT have paid the same for a refurbished standard duplex. I got one called the “MOA Ring”, it was that or the “Pig Plex”.

Quote Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
    I recently went shopping for a 1.5-4 Freedom, ended up with a reticle that I did not want, but it was available and the standard duplex that I wanted was not anywhere to be found.

I MIGHT have paid the same for a refurbished standard duplex. I got one called the “MOA Ring”, it was that or the “Pig Plex”.
    I saw a Youtube posting of the MOA reticle and it showed the MOA reticle to all but disappear against a dark background. It looks like Leupold is cramming the latest and supposedly greatest down our throats. I, too, am a fan of the duplex and really like the heavy duplex with the fine portion in the center. But alas, it seems you could never shoot a pig with an old antiquated reticle like that.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Is yours a refurb?
    Nope, bought it new.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Leopold Freedom scopes are supposedly "Made in China" . Am looking to replace some 75 year old fixed power Weavers. Looking at 2-7 power Leopolds. Anyone have other suggestions? Think I want something assembled in the US. Supposedly all good glass comes from either Germany or Japan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast