RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Think outside the box

Boolit Buddy

Think outside the box

A group of us have been working in Scout camps to bring a quality black powder experience to the kids during the summer. This summer, we've been at 2 camps so far and have seen about 40+ kids overall. Part of the stuff we bring with us are Civil War muskets and minies. Being N-SSA competitors, this is a natural extension and we're very familiar with them.

But not every kid can shoulder a musket so what to for that situation. Have a good 50cal minie of course! The ones I've seen from Lee aren't up to the drill and I'm not a fan of Lee minie molds. After some research, I found a .473 Enfield pistol bullet design that looked promising and after some discussions with Steve Brooks on the mold and design, Steve cut a mold that dropped at .495 with pure lead and featured an adjustable base plug to vary the weight. The mold is a work of art and face it, a quality mold isn't going to be inexpensive.

So here's a pic of the bullet and a cartridge. Making the cartridge is easy. Put powder in the tube, plug with minie inserted nose first, dip lube base in beeswax/lard. Simple.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230322_073139.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	315565

But how does it shoot? Well in my seriously rough CVA (my sewerpipe on a stick), I did a torture test. I fired 15 shots with no wiping or other attention to the bore and then then fired 6 shots offhand at 50yd for a group. As we say in the South, I'm thinking that dawg will hunt.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sewerpipegroup.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	315566
    A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.
    Rudyard Kipling

Palmetto Sharpshooters
    North South Skirmish Association
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Nice! That's perfect for the kids and sure works in your rifle for your own use!

Boolit Bub
    Scouting was where I first got infected with black powder over 50 years ago. It's good to know that there are people like yourself that are going the extra distance to help kids learn a new/old way of thinking.