Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Today's Rem 7600 in 30-06?

Today's Rem 7600 in 30-06?

On a Benoit bender (again). How are today's Remington 7600 (slide action carbines)?
    -Paul

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1118 (2).jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	315562my rem 7600 carbine in 3006 with 165gr nosler bt bullets at 2700 fps has been sure death on white tails.

Boolit Master
    Is there a 7600 made today? I have not keep up with what the new Remington is producing now. My daughter just got an 870 in 12 gage but I have not seen it yet.

Boolit Master
    I looked at the Remington web site and see no mention of the 7600, under the heading of rifles the only list 700 and muzzle loading rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1118 (2).jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	315562my rem 7600 carbine in 3006 with 165gr nosler bt bullets at 2700 fps has been sure death on white tails.
    That is one fine buck, and I'd love to shoot the weapon. Thanks for the photo and post. My 45-70 is great out to 100 or so, my .338 WM will put the wallop on anything out to 275 (my limit more or less) or so, but I'd love to have a woods carbine like the 7600 for up to 200 or so. Watching the Benoits (and Hal Blood) is sure making me itch a little. Not to mention their mix of thick woods and longer swale bogs and such. Beautiful, beautiful country.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    Is there a 7600 made today? I have not keep up with what the new Remington is producing now. My daughter just got an 870 in 12 gage but I have not seen it yet.
    I only see them new on places like Sportsman's Warehouse, but as out of stock. I don't know if that means Rem no longer makes them, or they just make them infrequently (like Leupold with their FX II 2.5 x 20, a scope I have). I do see them used quite a bit.
    -Paul

I don't think they are being produced. At least not at present. If Remington ever manages to get themselves straightened out financially, they may again produce them. I picked up this 200 Anniversary Edition 7600 in .30-06 a few years back at Sportsman's Warehouse for just $750.00 on a clearance. I should have bought 2 of them. It has the best grade Walnut I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by billt View Post
    I don't think they are being produced. At least not at present. If Remington ever manages to get themselves straightened out financially, they may again produce them. I picked up this 200 Anniversary Edition 7600 in .30-06 a few years back at Sportsman's Warehouse for just $750.00 on a clearance. I should have bought 2 of them. It has the best grade Walnut I've ever seen.

Yep, you're right. Confirmed. Rem Arms just got back to me. "Not on the table, maybe later." Bummer. Pretty storied history.

That's a beautiful weapon, by the way. Congrats.
    -Paul

They are neat hunting rifles.
    Remember the 760 BDL with the stepped receiver and basket weave stamped wood?
    I’ve owned two model 760s-A .308 from the Illinois State Prison (big badge on the action said so), and a ribbed forend older 30-06.
    They both shot accurately, but worked smoother with factory ammo than my reloads.
    I couldn’t get used to the rattling forearm, either- which is dumb considering the hundreds of miles I’ve carried an 870…..
    Id love to luck onto one at the OLD price and it wouldn’t matter what cartridge it takes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    No 7600s here but a pair of 760s, both ‘06s.

My dads 50 vintage is here for safe keeping and mine, a later 760 BDL. That one in great condition used was $249 before sales tax from a shop! Some areas they just are not popular but they do what they do in spite of public opinion.

My point is many were made and sold. As hunters retire, they come up for sale and can be super bargains. Just keep your eyes open and land one!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    No 7600s here but a pair of 760s, both ‘06s.

My dads 50 vintage is here for safe keeping and mine, a later 760 BDL. That one in great condition used was $249 before sales tax from a shop! Some areas they just are not popular but they do what they do in spite of public opinion.

My point is many were made and sold. As hunters retire, they come up for sale and can be super bargains. Just keep your eyes open and land one!

Three44s
    Good for you! Nice history there. Thanks for the tip.
    -Paul

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    On a Benoit bender (again). How are today's Remington 7600 (slide action carbines)?
    I've seen a lot more of the semi auto 7400 family floating around than the pumps. Both share a lot of fire control parts and concepts with the 870 and by extension, the 1100 shotguns. There was a short-lived attempt at marketing the 7600 as a law enforcement carbine in .223 and .308 maybe 15 years ago for agencies that didn't like the AR-15 vibe, but that's about the last I saw of them. It was never a big winner for them and "new" Remington is still trying to figure out how to reverse the severe case of rectal/cranial inversion that sank them under the old owners. I wouldn't count on a pump rifle reboot anytime soon.

The son of one of my Dad's coworkers inherited one of the earlier semi autos from his granddad - a 742 I think. We got it down to about 1-1.5 MOA for Nosler 165BT's after a brief effort and called it good for the purpose.

They're definitely a series of rifle I'd put some serious study into how to "do the maintenance" on. While not chronic problem guns, per se, they are more fiddly and fussy than the average bolt action, and a lot of them have been subjected to the pre-Internet era of "It's not obvious how to take this apart, so I'm just going to hose WD-40 into every orifice until the can is empty" school of gunsmithing. Be ready to reverse some of that.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Today's Rem 7600 in 30-06?

i inherited a 760 from my wife’s grandfather. i doubt it it’s had more than 2 boxes of ammo threw it. i’ve yet to shoot it yet and i’ve had it in my possession for the last 2 years. the 760 came with a magazine full of silver tipped ammo. i think once i get my loads squared away on my mosin nagant the 760 will be next on the docket to load up a jacketed and cast load for.

in michigan they are still fairly sought after for the big woods. however, they are loosing ground to the .350’s and .450’s like the other big wood classics. my uncle still uses a 740 at deer camp. it’s is second one after his daughter stole and sold his original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friend of mine recently acquired one.
    Definitely from the old days.
    Cleaned up nicely too.
    30-06 is never a wrong choice.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Friend of mine recently acquired one.
    Definitely from the old days.
    Cleaned up nicely too.
    30-06 is never a wrong choice.
    Congrats to your pal.
    -Paul

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I've seen a lot more of the semi auto 7400 family floating around than the pumps. Both share a lot of fire control parts and concepts with the 870 and by extension, the 1100 shotguns. There was a short-lived attempt at marketing the 7600 as a law enforcement carbine in .223 and .308 maybe 15 years ago for agencies that didn't like the AR-15 vibe, but that's about the last I saw of them. It was never a big winner for them and "new" Remington is still trying to figure out how to reverse the severe case of rectal/cranial inversion that sank them under the old owners. I wouldn't count on a pump rifle reboot anytime soon.

The son of one of my Dad's coworkers inherited one of the earlier semi autos from his granddad - a 742 I think. We got it down to about 1-1.5 MOA for Nosler 165BT's after a brief effort and called it good for the purpose.

They're definitely a series of rifle I'd put some serious study into how to "do the maintenance" on. While not chronic problem guns, per se, they are more fiddly and fussy than the average bolt action, and a lot of them have been subjected to the pre-Internet era of "It's not obvious how to take this apart, so I'm just going to hose WD-40 into every orifice until the can is empty" school of gunsmithing. Be ready to reverse some of that.
    Then blow it out with high pressure air followed up by some good gun oil.

Boolit Master
    If I remember correctly, about 30 odd years ago the MTU at the then Ft. Benning played with the 760 in either .308 or .30-06 as a target rifle as the barrel is basically free floated and the trigger group could be tuned. Anyone else remember something about that? GF

Boolit Master
    I own two Savage 99s (a 300 Savage & a 243 Win) and a 760 BDL ('06).

Remington pump guns of the vintages mentioned in this thread use detachable magazines. The Savage 99s that run reliably are fixed magazine.

Savages do not "rattle", Remington pumps do. There is just no free lunchs.

It's a rare Remington or Savage that does not bring home the bacon at normal hunting ranges. More than a few shoot better than that.

The Remington autoloader is a different story (740/742/.... 7400?).

I have had two, the second one had the dreaded chatter marks. It shot fine but was headed for purgatory as once the chatter marks get rough enough you run into failures to feed. So beware.

My choice in an auto loader would be a Browning BAR. If the price was very reasonable I would but a Remington after ensuring there was no appreciable wear.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 08-06-2023 at 11:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Am interested in the chatter marks aspect; wouldn't mind illumination on the topic if someone would be so kind. Best regards,

I got my 7600 in 06 back in the mid 80's used and was all set up with a Charles Daley scope and the mount on it that you can use both the open sights or the scope and I ask the guy at the shop what is wrong with it he said the owner, I bought it with a box of ammo and a sling for just over $400 with taxes, and at the time a new one with out all I got went for $400. I went to the sand pits at the time to test it and it was dead on center. love the gun. I shoot cast and jacket in it . and light loads . all works great as long I do my part .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast