Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Autocomp in .32 S&W Long?

Boolit Buddy

Autocomp in .32 S&W Long?

Last year I picked up a pound of Winchester Autocomp after reading one of Ed Harris's articles on reloading for .32 ACP. I haven't yet tried reloading for .32 Auto yet but other .32s I load for are .32 S&W Long and H&R Mag (as well as black powder .32 S&W).

I use an RCBS Little Dandy powder measure for loading smokeless pistol rounds. I've found that the RCBS chart which lists charge weights is a bit off so I always run 10 charges onto a scale and take the average. Of the various powders I've measured, Autocomp may be the most consistent. It meters like water.

In my Little Dandy I got the following charges with Autocomp:

Rotor #: Charge
    #00: 2.3 grains
    #0: 3.1 grains
    #1: 3.8 grains
    #2: 4.1 grains
    #3: 4.7 grains
    #4: 4.9 grains
    #5: 5.2 grains

Because of the small charge weights involved with loading .32 S&W Long, I am curious to see if anyone has tried using Autocomp powder in .32 S&W Long wadcutter loads. Hodgdon does not list any Autocomp data for .32 Long on their website, and I haven't seen it anywhere else.

The bullets I have on hand are cast 85 grain wadcutters from Matt's Bullets. He casts these from a now-discontinued Lee tumble lube design, AFAIK. I also have some Speer 98 grain HBWCs.

If possible I would like to approximate factory wadcutter loads with Autocomp, for use in an early 1970s-vintage H&R Model 733, and a 1910-vintage Colt Police Positive.

I've emailed Hodgdon for guidance but in the meantime, has anyone tried Autocomp in .32 Long?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use the same 3 grains of AutoComp .32 S&W Long that I do in .32 ACP with 90-grain WC at 1.00" OAL. Should be safe with your 85-grainer.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks!